Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please help, my brother is destroying my family

Hi
    I am desperate for some help or for someone to tell me how I can change things.
    Ever since I was little my father drank heavily, some of my earliest memories are of rows and drunkenness, and as I grew up I thought that that was just the way life was. My father binge drank 2/3 times a week and when he was sober he was in such a terrible mood we were scared stiff.. But when he was in a good mood he was lovely but this was extremely rare, this pattern continued through all of my life, through extremes of really bad periods to really good times when my father stopped drinking for nearly two years. He is now in bad health and is still binge drinking although he has been better in the last few months and drinking very little, my mother thinks it?s due to antidepressants his doctor has prescribed for him. Although from my years of experience I know how quickly things change and I know not to be fooled, all it takes is one drinking binge for things to go bad again, but for now things are good with my father.

This post is not about my father it?s about my eldest brother, being the eldest my father often took his frustrations out on him and me, and I suppose he felt like I did, that my father hated us for no apparent reason. This led to my mother overcompensating and my brother basically got his own way in everything he did and he didn?t want for anything. My brother started drinking when he was about 19; he was always quiet and didn?t talk much, but im not sure if you would call him shy.
    He started going out more and more and getting drunker and drunker. This continued for a few years and by then we knew he had a drink problem. He met a girl when he was 26 and surprisingly they started going out, this caused concern as she was only 17 but I think everyone was relieved that maybe he might finally stop drinking.
    She ended up getting pregnant, the drinking didn?t stop and eventually she left him when their little girl was 3.
    That was 4 years ago and things have got worse and worse. He drinks every day and is constantly drunk, he drink drives every day even though he has been previously suspended for drink driving.
    He has crashed his car twice this year... Luckily it was only minor scrapes and no one else was involved. He has no self respect and wets the bed every night my mother cleans up after him everyday.
    He does not eat anymore and has lost so much weight. Now I am worried that he has mental problems as I have heard him talking to himself. Perhaps this is just because he is drunk. I listen to him come home from the pub each night and he shouts and screams swears and argues with himself until he falls asleep. He is so angry and hurt about something? my mother finds him crying all the time, we have all tried to stop him drinking and pleaded with him but he refuses to admit he has a problem although he is in so much debt, and has bills everywhere. He has lost all interest in his little girl, he lives at home and I don?t think that my mother can deal with it; she has begun to say that she wishes she was dead rather than deal with this all over again.
    Sometimes I feel so sorry for him and sometimes I hate him so much for putting us through this and for putting his own little girl through what we went through.
    Please you can tell me what to do or some steps I can take to make this nightmare end I would be so grateful.

I wish that I could offer words of advice that would make your nightmare end, but I don't have any. The sad truth is that, until your brother wants to stop drinking, there is nothing you can do or say that will make it happen on its own.

From your description, your brother sounds like he is in the advanced stages of alcoholism and now sees booze as the only option to his problems. Many of us on this have been in the same spot, albeit not to the same degree. Since alcoholism is a progressive disease, my fear is that he will only keep getting worse - never better.

Do you have Al-Anon available to you? That might be a good place to start if you do. If nothing else they can help you understand what your brother is going through, and give you a chance to talk to other people who are going through the same thing.

Has him going into treatment ever been discussed? In your post you don't mention if your brother has expressed an interest in trying to stop, but given his advanced state stopping drinking under supervision would be advised. He could also try Alcoholics Anonymous - but again these are all things that he has to WANT to do.

Best of luck to you, and I am sorry that you and your family have to go through this again. My prayers are with you.
    Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

So sorry you are going through this and the worry it's causing you. AA is right that until your brother wants to stop drinking he won't.

Has he ever indicated that he would like to cut down or stop? It sounds like if he were to quit he would need to be watched by a doctor because of withdrawal symptoms.

I wish I could offer more just know that you can keep coming here and talking and maybe one day your brother will too.
      "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

Thanks for your advice and support, I have just had the weekend from hell, and I can barely think straight at this stage, my father went for a drink after a game of golf on Friday and ended up getting totally wasted, (this is partly due to the fact that once he has nore than two drinks all he wants is more and partly due to the fact that he is on ten different pills a day plus insulin injections) he got into his car to drive home and ended up crashing the car into a tree, the car is totally written off, he is sore and bruised and very lucky he is not dead. Without going into the details you can imagine how my weekend went after that and the rows that followed, needless to say he is so sorry and ashamed of himself, and I have to pity him. My brother seemed to be delighted, maybe he was happy that the focus was off him, my mother and I talked to my father yesterday and he agreed that he just cannot take a drink with the medication he is on, as it basically sets him mad and he is a danger to himself and others. I think this has really shook him up and hopefully this is the wake up call he needs, as I mentioned before he has been really trying lately and this is the first slip up in a while.
        My brother continued to drink all weekend and drive, he came home early from the pub yesterday about 7 after drinking from 12 and went to bed, so last night when my father heard him getting up at 10 to go back to the pub, he asked him to get a taxi home and not to drive. My brother went metal and started shouting and screaming at my father, basically saying how dare he say that to him etc when my mother tried to stop him he started screaming at her?they were very threatened and afraid. I feel like the whole world is falling down around me, everyone is fighting, I don?t think I can cope, to the outside world I look fine im in work laughing and joking? im actually doing my driving test in a few hours, I didn?t get do any practice at the weekend, I didn?t even think bout it, I was early for work this morning, nobody can ever tell what is going on in my life, but its so hard to keep it all together. Inside my head is mush and im so upset, my whole family is falling apart, my sister left on Saturday and said she is not coming back after a row with my mother.
        My brother does not even accept he has a problem, according to him everyone else has a problem. I don?t know if it because he is always drunk or if he is brain damaged because he is drinking so much, but the is totally delusional, he lives in a world where he thinks he is the most important person in the world, and anyone dare correct him or tell him that he is wrong.. He has such a grudge against anyone who has stood up to him or tried to stop him doing what he wants. He is so stubborn, and thinks he is always right. This is why I don?t see him ever accepting he has a problem, or it ever getting any better. Now im afraid for my mother and father sharing a house with him. He is never going to move out and they are going to be living with this for the rest of their lives. And now he is getting abusive and they are afraid of him it only going to get worse.
        Thanks for your help and I have contacted a rehab centre near me for some information and help., but to be honest I don?t see this ever getting better, I know that my mother and father need to kick him out but I know that they will never do that, and because of his personality I don?t think he will ever ever accept that he has a problem.

Comment

Hey there
          I am also so sorry to hear this. I think a major thing is that people need to stop enabling your brother. As hard as that is to hear or fathom, your parents, (and I know its because they love him and want him looked after) ARE unfortunately enabling him by cleaning up after him, giving him a place to stay etc. Have you all thought of family counselling or a group intervention? Your brother DOES sound like he is in serious, late stage alcoholism and could die if something doesnt change. I am not trying to be harsh, just honest. He needs to reach a "bottom" and maybe this "bottom" can be created by his family - in telling him that if he doesnt get help, he can no longer stay in the home, no one will give him money etc etc. I think you should all seriously consider this, as hard as it may be, because the way it sounds - his bottom could be something far worse.
          I am really thinking about you. Keep us updated ok?
          Hug
          Jen
          Over 4 months AF :h

Comment

I have to agree with InnerStrength, I was where your bro is, only I wasn't living at home.
            I had to hit the bottom befor I woke up to the fact that I had/have a problem.
            Lost jobs, freinds, pushed loved ones away ect'...
            If he has to take care of himself, he'll see that drinking is ruining his life.
            I wish I had more to say that could be of help...but he has to help himself first...
            best of luck...
            Mike...

Comment

That's the truth

Mike: That's good advice. I've dealt with similar problems with significant others before. And it looks like you have made a nice rebound from all that. Like to know how it's been going!

:goodjob:

Comment

I wish I could help you too. How lucky are they to have such a good sister/daughter? But you need to think about yourself too you know. You cannot save him - he has to do that for himself.
                Thinking of you and hoping things get better for you soon.
                BH

Comment

Sparkle,

My heart really goes out to you. Your father has trained your brother well it seems. It seems in these situations that the children of alcoholics either never drink, or they become alcoholics themselves. It can never be a "normal" thing for them when they were raised as victims of such abuse.

But never lose hope! There are many who have beat this, but realize that it is your brother that has to make the choice. Think of it in terms of food: Some people are addicted to eating! It has nothing to do with hunger... they just crave food... sometimes chips, sometimes pasta, sometimes chocolate just to name a few. Its simply a form of addiction manifested in a different way. What if someone just told that food addict..."If you will just stop eating, you will lose weight." Duh!! Like they dont know that? It's not that they lack the knowledge, its much more complicated.

All addictions are simply masks of deeper issues. Its the deeper issues that really need to be addressed, and I think sometimes we do not even know what they are. My counselor told me once that if we can "mend my heart" then the desire for alcohol will fade away on its own." It is so true.... but I'm still in the progress of it! The more I deal with the root issues that cause me to drink, the less the drink means.

I am not one to promote interventions, but it sounds like you brother is almost begging for one. If it is done with a lot of love, he will probably feel safe and feel hope for the first time ever. I like that idea.

Wishing you the best!
                  If you do not live the life you believe, you will believe the life you live.

Comment

I am so sorry to hear of your struggles. Some of us identify with your problems. I echo the sentiments of Prest4Time when she mentions an intervention, however, I believe you have to seek a professional to help you with this, so they can help you to stop enabling the abusers and state the consequences of what will happen if the abuser refuses help in getting help.

Alcoholism is a family disease and not only affects the abuser, but the whole family who enables, is in rage and shame, etc.

Good Luck, and let us know how it goes.
                    Enlightened by MWO

Comment

Really good advice - however - we're responding to a very old thread. I hope isparkle got some much needed help. Such sad and desperate posts.

Comment

oh my god you are right - that is so funny! Here is us all worried etc and the person doesnt even know!
                        BH

Comment

I also see that isparkle has not been on for a while, hope all is ok

Comment

hello

Hi
                            Im ashamed that I didnt responded to all of you who took time to offer me your advice, But i didnt realise that there had been response to my post until i iwas notified by private mail today.
                            Reading back over my posts reminds me of how desperate things were at that time, and how I desperately needed help to deal with what was going on. Things have changed alot for me since then for the good thank god, I dont have alot of time, I will log on tomorrow and post a proper response.

Comment

Isparkle, don't be ashamed!!!! glad to hear you are still around, and just know that there are others that care!!!! Glad to hear that things have gotten better for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X