The Alcoholism Addiction Cure by Chris Prentiss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just spent most of this evening at Barnes and Noble reading what I felt was a wonderful book. I came home and ordered it from Amazon.com! The author maintains that there are four basic reasons why someone is driven to drink (or take drugs). One is unresolved issues of the past, another is chemical imbalances (such as bipolar); another is unbearable circumstances in the present; I forget offhand what the fourth one is. He worked with a young man named Pax who was horribly addicted to heroin, cocaine and alcohol. Once Pax discovered the reasons that were fueling his addictions, he was able to heal and be free; then started up a recovery center which is called "Pathways", which is supposed to have an incredible recovery rate. He recommends a holistic appproach to healing (including medical help, excercise and nutrition, psychiatric help if necessary. He is against calling people "alcoholics" and "addicts" but rather sees us as self-medicating one of the four reasons above. He calls for a complete paradigm shift in the treatment industry; and contrary to one of AA most treasured beliefs, thinks it is necessary to address the "why" of why we are drinking; then heal that wound, in order to have recovery without stgruggling not to relapse. I was very very very impressed with this book and highly recommend it.

Adria

I started reading this one too and, as Adria said, was really intruiged by his theories. The success rate of his treatment center is phenomenal.
    Yes, similar approach as this program, in the sense that is holistic, not merely "stop drinking/drugging or ELSE"...
    He completely defies the label of "alcoholic" and the disease theory, and supports that with pages of very interesting reason and research.
    Never did finish it... got too busy reading my "Party Pants" book, and this book became overdue at the library!:lol I may just take it out again, though.
    I do believe, however, his recover focuses on abs only. REALLY interesting and helpful info, though. This is an extremely compassionate man, from what I could get reading about his plight to help his son recover from heroin addiction, then devote his life to helping others.
    Amazing.

Comment

The author talks about long standing paradigms and how alcoholism was a moral failing or demonic possession. When the AMA declared it a disease, the paradigm is that it is incurable. "Once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic." "Relapse is part of recovery." She intends to change this mindset.

Once upon a time, she says, everyone believed it was impossible for a human to run a mile in under 4min. Doctors of the era said the human physiology would break down and kill the runner before that could be accomplished. Engineers stated the aerodynamics of the human body made it impossible. The power of the paradigm makes it impossible for people to believe it can be broken. In 1954 it was broken. By 1957, sixteen more runners had done it. Today it is common.

She goes on to say, "Now it is your turn to end your existing thought paradigm about alcohol and you. You are not an alcoholic. You are not incurably diseased. You have merely become dependent on the substances to cope with underlying conditions that you are now going to heal, at which time your dependency will cease completely and forever."

And I am only on page 16.

I will relay more, if anyone is interested.

Dx
      * * I love Determinator * *

Comment

thanks for bumping this up. I will put the book on hold.
        I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Yes, I am very interested. Will have to get it too. Thanks for sharing. Big D won't be able to get away with anything now! LOL

Comment

tkeene,

I think you are correct in the assertion that it is marketing for their facility (actually called Passages)
            and I think they are suggesting that understanding your triggers and seeking counseling on coping with them without substances is the answer.
            I really enjoyed just the mindset in general. They are choosing to not reinforce the standard idea that you are a slave to this and powerless.

It reminds me of one story the author told in the book: she went to an AA meeting where congrats were in order for a member who achieved one year sobriety.
            Encouraged to make a speech, the member spoke of praying desparately everyday to beat this and passionately fighting everyday to beat the struggle and the awful fear of a relapse.
            The author's perception was that this member needed help. Should this be the acceptable lifestyle to live in fear and struggle everyday? Is this person really happy?

Interesting discussion. Thanks for partaking.
            Dx

Comment

I think that is a fear for many of us Dx. To be sober and miserable. That is why I firmly believe nutritional supplementation along with exercise, positive thinking reading and listening is so critical. If you do none of these things to feed your brain good, healthy things I can see how white knuckling every day would happen. I believe being in a support group is only one part of the many aspects we need to partake in to beat this.
              I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

That's what I love about MWO is the well-rounded approach.
                Something that is all-consuming has to be beat on so many levels.

Your belief in nutrition, exercise, positivity, etc is what all humans should be encouraged to do
                regardless of a dependency issue.
                Sober and miserable was probably what drove many to be drunk and miserable.
                So we work in the miserable part, and then the other becomes a choice, we hope.

Dx

Comment

Hello - Dx, this is wonderful...thanks for summing it up so well for me!

"Sober and miserable was probably what drove many to be drunk and miserable.
                  So we work in the miserable part, and then the other becomes a choice, we hope."

All I can say is that the 'you're wrecked for life' from AA terrified me more than I can say...and I am soooh glad/lucky/blessed to have (just now) the 'choice'.... The miserable part - well, I think I'd done that much work on my 'ishoos' but I didn't realise JUST how hard I had to work at them - and how much I HAD to believe I was worth that work....until I hit my rock-bottom and frightened mysefl s**tless in discovering just how low 'ishoos' can take one and NEVER wanted to go there again. (But I do still pray a bit that I wont!!) All my years counselling were still couched in 'victim'. Now, I truly believe I deserve to like, even love, myself and to be treated other than how I've let myself be treated before...someone once said that success follows passion and I certainly had to get really passionate about my 'self'.......THEN things changed.

I can't find any other words than that - but just see that the 30 years of counselling was good, but playing at it until now... Face it, Feel it, Leave it behind.... I think that's something that's happened...
                  :heart: c: :heart:
                  "Be patient and gentle with yourself - the magic is in you."

Comment

OMG Dx!! Thank you so much. This is exactly how I feel & have been want ting to have it affirmed for so long.. I hate that word..I will ge t the book..

Also thank you Adria if you are still around for suggesting this..

Dx..you are a Phenomenal Woman....do you know that poem? by Maya Angelou...if not I will send it to you

Comment

Working...
                    X