Allen Carr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Allen Carr

Deals with all the head stuff and lies we tell ourselves--not to mention the rest of the world

Allen Carr

Reading this too.... EXCELLENT BOOK. Highly recommend! It can be boring at some points, but if you can grasp all the points, it has so much truth. I have recommended it to others who have shoved it aside out of "boredom" before they are halfway through. I cannot put it down out of my feeling like I have finally found an answer to the psychological side of the cravings. This book confirmed to me what I always knew: this is not a physical addiction, but a mental addiction. Therefore it cannot be broken physically, but must be done mentally, and willpower is not the answer. Would LOVE to get a group together to read and discuss this one!!

Allie

Comment

Allen Carr

Allen Carr

I have to agree with the whole physical thing. When I started to crave a drink and just thought I would die without one--I had to stop and ask myself--am I really in physical pain? I might be restless and agitated--but as far as real pain--nope!

I am rereading the book over and over until it sinks in for good. Just a few pages a night to reinforce it. I even started a a sheet on the points that really hit home with me and carry it in my purse and pull it out as needed.

Comment

Allen Carr

Allen Carr

I agree with both of you. This is one book I've read over and over and have also listed important points on a sheet of paper and go back to it. I think the points in the book that need to sink in are: We will be free when we stop looking at alcohol as some kind of treat, friend or relief from feelings that we don't want to feel and instead look at it as the poison and devastation it really is. The alcohol is what is making us crazy, not the lack of it. Instead of looking at not drinking as depravation, look at it as beeing free- not ever having to have to put poison in your mouth again. It's a mind set and a mental issue. I agree with him - I just need to keep implating that ideas into my head - maybe I'll start adding the points in the book into my hypno.

Comment

Allen Carr

Carr discussion group

Just started a yahoo group to discuss Carr. Go to health.groups.yahoo.com/g...inking/and request an invitation.

Lib

Comment

Allen Carr

Carr group URL

oops - make that health.groups.yahoo.com/g..._drinking/

It is in the Heath/Support category and called easyway_drinking.

Comment

Allen Carr

I agree with you about the Carr book ... he helped me stop smoking as well.

Another you may care to look at is 'Freedom from addiction' by Joe Griffin & Ivan Tyrell:

"When you truly perceive that the negative aspects of addiction outweigh the pleasure, and see how harmful it is, you will want to stop your addictive activity.

But if you don't stop right now, or set a date for stopping/cutting down that is in the very near future, you are not letting your new insight touch you emotionally.

When you fully feel
              the illusion of addiction, stopping will be relatively easy.

Remember, addiction has hijacked your expectation circuitry, so it is trying as hard as it can to keep you hooked with unrealistic expectations. But you can reclaim that circuitry just by imposing a different set of expectations on it, ones that reveal the lure of addiction to be nothing more than a false bait - with you as the fish hooked on the end of the line"

Comment

Allen Carr

I bought this book today and am waiting for my DH to leave so that I can get into reading it tonight. I do have a story with it though.

I couldn't find it on the shelf anywhere; and had to go ask the salesperson at the bookstore. I was all prepared to say "it's not for me" when they made a comment; instead she said nothing and just pointed me towards the book.

I realized at that point that I should just grow up! So I strode to the front of the store, not trying to hide the title, and put it on the counter. The checkout girl had smiled as I walked up, but when she saw the book, her smile melted into something resembling pity and she was VERY nice to me for the rest of the transaction.

As I left, I couldn't help but wonder if she had noticed the beer on my breath.
                Kathy
                "I'm not afraid of storms, for I'm learning to sail my ship." ~ Louisa May Alcott

Comment

Allen Carr

I have to say this book made a very powerful impression on me. It's the first time I've been able to come close to reprogramming my brain to see alcohol for what it is (devastation, a highly addictive drug and poison) rather than a reward. Since I finished it a few days ago, I haven't had a craving. Whenever the thought of alcohol has crossed my mind, it has been in the context of "I'm so glad I never have to be in that trap again!"

I hope I can keep this mindset -- I'm going to incorporate some of Carr's phrases into my hypno.

And next task on my self-improvement/health agenda -- get his stop-smoking book.

Mike
                  "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

Comment

Allen Carr

It's a great way of seeing things. Really easy, really basic.
                    Which phrases will you incorporate, Mike?
                    Diane M.

Comment

Allen Carr

Diane,

I try to keep my suggestions simple and positive. But I also want to solidify in my mind the definition of alcohol as poison and trap. I also want to remind myself that my recovery can be permanent. Here are a few that come to mind:

"I am free from the alcohol trap -- never to fall for it again."

"I have no cravings whatsoever for the poison alcohol."

"I feel much healthier and happier now that I am free from the addiction to alcohol."

"I am better equipped to handle life without alcohol poisoning my mind and body."

"I am completely healed from my addiction to alcohol."

I'd be curious to hear others' suggestions if they have any....

Mike
                      "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

Comment

Allen Carr

I've just bought this book from Amazon.co.uk - it should arrive tomorow - can;t wait.

Thanks Discovery

xxxx
                        ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Bambs aka Hydrogen

:h XXX :h

Comment

Allen Carr

I hope you enjoy it

Its the first recovery book that I have read that plainly states what alcohol really is and why its not what we think it is.

Above is a link to a message board that a gal named Libby started (its in her above post)--the group is small--but the people there are awesome!

Kim

Comment

Allen Carr

Although I have not read the book, a statement made above really hit home with me.

I used to look at alcohol and cigarettes as soothing salves. As just rewards for hard stressful work, and a way to keep myself sane and rational. I believed that for over three decades.

Been off the booze and ciggies completely for almost nine months now.

I have a new definition firmly entrenched in my mind now for booze and ciggies. Its the way I see them now.

Booze: "Toxic and corrosive fuel solvent" (Yep, thats what I want in my body....not!"

Ciggies: "Toxic, hot, corrosive carcinogenic nerve gas
                            " (don't want that much either)

Its not just something I say to myself. Its the first reaction I have now to those things, and its the way I think about them. It was a paradigm shift in my brain, that I made happen by changing my mind.

I think I will check that book out, and see what else they have to say!

Comment

Allen Carr

bump

I wanted to bump this book up for anyone thinking long term abs. This book is tremdous at changing the way you view alcohol and about giving it up for good.

Allen passed away this morning. I am forever grateful that he took the time to write this book "Easyway to Quit Drinking"

Comment

Working...
                              X