We're reading: Dry: A Memoir by Augusten Burroughs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Augesten Burrough's witty, irreverent and poignant memoir recounts his introduction and recovery from alcoholism.

I thought this book was simply an excellent read and very inspiring. If someone with such an addiction to alcohol could successfully recover, there's hope for all.

I felt like I was walking right along side Augusten because he is such an incredibly visual writer, and I"m sure my ability to relate to an alcoholic's tendancies only enhanced the experience. I guess one of the things I picked up on the most, is how powerful the alcohol can be. We know from our own experiences, but only at the stage we were/are at. As the addiction evolves, if nothing is done, it only gets more powerful.

I think that's what was scaring me when I found MWO. My drinking behaviors were suddenly changing and I wasn't controlling things anymore and I couldn't figure out. It wasn't just about "too much alcohol", it was about "way too much alcohol and no control".

Augusten is a late-stage alcoholic, and had evolved to late-stage at a very young age. He struggles with the usual cravings and desire to have that drink but works hard at it and I admired his will. For some they say it takes "hitting bottom" to finally turn the real corner to recovery. He really hits bottom at one point. Anyway, I really enjoyed reading the book!

Comment

I ordered the book based on recommendations from this board.

Everytime I read something like this by someone who has fallen so far, I wonder if I really need any help at all. The detox and recovery were interesting. The gay love story was really the main story in the book and didn't work for me.

Rating, so so

Dug

Comment

This great read is also available on audio tapes, and CD's read by the Augusten. I understand they are making a movie from this book.

Comment

Working...
        X