Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

South: The Endurance Expedition

by Earnest Shackleton
    First published in 1920, this is the unbelievable account of the Antartic expedition of 1914 that almost lost it all. It makes for a somewhat long, and at times painful read, because it accounts so well for what these men went through, because their plight was long and painful. Think of an island of ice that is seemingly a prison of no escape, and your'e there. I read it in the depth of a cold winter, and that helped the effect.

After reading this, I realized that I really have nothing at all to complain about.

Now you are a brave soul!

My husband always wanted to go to Anarctica; I can't imagine any place I wanted least to go. All that cold--my image of death and hell. I am an avid reader, especially biographies, crime novels, etc. but I am sure I couldn't make it through this book--I can't even watch these stories on Discovery Channel!! You are hard cord!

Ter

Comment

Ter,
      Oh, he is a good man in my book! I've alway wanted to go there as well. In fact, had the opprtunity to apply for a 1 year position there a few months ago. Just could not stand to be away from wife and son that long . Still, want to see it before I die, or it melts away due to global warming!:x

Comment

I read that book, it was quite amazing to read about their survival. You may also like "The Long Walk" -- it's about 6 men who escape a siberian prison camp and walk across the Gobi Desert and the Himalayas to India. It's incredible.

Comment

Did either of you read "Seven Years in Tibet"? It was made into a movie with Brad Pitt but obviously, it focused on Brad Pitt and not the pith of the book.

Ter

Comment

Have not read that one but am looking for a new good read. I'm headed to the gym and think I will swing by the library and check it out.

I love the book reviews in Outside magazine, I want to read all of them any maybe I will start ordering some with all the $$ I save not buying so much wine!!

Comment

I don't know about Antarctica - but I have always wanted to go to Alaska. I think I've read about that expedition - my son had to read a book about it in fifth grade. It was unbelievable.

Adria

Comment

Working...
              X