the gig is up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the gig is up

that's what i felt like immediately last week at my job. i knew that i was going to be 'counseled' by a couple of supervisors, and it was somewhat of a relief. i had already made a plan with myself and with a counselor. all day lately, everyday, i tell myself, this is going to be my first day of sobriety...again. i was clean and sober for 14 years, and decided that i'd give 'it' another shot. that was during the holidays last year, and i haven't been able to stop. sometimes i feel as though i really want to, and then i always seem to find this great excuse to go home and 'calm my nerves.' i'm always broke and lately i've been acting out. i'm scared in that i do not want to go to a treatment facility. i just want to stop.:new:

the gig is up

Welcome whynow. Give yourself kudos for coming here and looking for help. This program and forum has changed a lot of lives for the better.
    I wish you luck. You were sober before and that should give you confidence that you can get sober again.
    FINALLY -- I'm a non-drinker!!

Comment

the gig is up

Hi whynow and welcome..........you enjoyed 14 sober yrs. in the past.........says you can certainly do it again.
      I was sober for 10 yrs, then went back to the drink for 5 yrs.........am 51 days sober again, thanks to coming here. You can do this again.

Love and strength to you,

Starlight Impress x

Comment

the gig is up

thank you so much for your encouragement...I just can't believe that I was as gullible as I was...what was I thinking? again...thank you...would love to hear from you again sometime

Comment

the gig is up

hey there, yes, this has lots to offer, get the book and everything in it that it says. follow all of the instructions. after all you had a lot time sober, i had the same then i drank for 7 years. now i'm coming up on 30 days. so you know it was always one day at a time anyway. so here's to a breath of fresh air. welcome
          :welcome:

Comment

the gig is up

Hey, Whynow. I'm another one who was sober for ten years, then drank for 7 and now am 62 days AF. You CAN do this. You've come to the right place. :welcome:
            The furture lies before you like newly fallen snow - be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Comment

the gig is up

Hi and thank you for your words of wisdome and hope. I'm just so pissed right now....the feelings of betrayal and remorse and just plain ole jealousy ...thanks again...i'll keep checking in here i guess...

Comment

the gig is up

thank you

bootcampbarbie;197224 wrote: hey there, yes, this has lots to offer, get the book and everything in it that it says. follow all of the instructions. after all you had a lot time sober, i had the same then i drank for 7 years. now i'm coming up on 30 days. so you know it was always one day at a time anyway. so here's to a breath of fresh air. welcome
                so you got the book and you liked it? i was contemplating buying it, but...omg...how many times will i have to go through this...what a silly question...thank you for your contact:thanks:

Comment

the gig is up

yes, i didn't just like the book. the book and everything in it saved my life and my marriage. so, run run and get it. i do know what you mean though. how many timessss...... i guess for me it was please god let this work. and although i was skeptical even about the supps and the topamax it was for me like a miracle. my hubby is shocked at how the changes are occuring. and i have to say more on the way everyday.
                  :welcome:

Comment

the gig is up

Amazing that this is the first thread I clicked on this morning. My first time posting here although I've lurked for a few years.

I too was sober for 13 years and have been drinking for the last 9. I so badly want to be able make it work but I spend more time planning my drinking, hangovers, etc. than anything else.

The thought of being sober again is scary, not sure why.

Whynowwhyagain, hope that you are still around

Comment

the gig is up

Hey Socks - Welcome!

What took you so long to post?
                      We are not ALL that scary - are we !!

I was afraid of being alcohol free too - but now I have been AF for the last 2 1/2 months, I realise that this was probably the best thing I have ever done.

Alcohol suckers us into thinking we are having a good time - when quite the reverse is the case.
                      I used to go thru life in a kind of haze - never really being "there" because I was either under the influence - or hungover.

It was no way to live my life and my family were missing out too.

Go for it!

The first few days are a bit tough - I won't lie to you - but if you can tough it out for about 4 days, these first 4 are the worst. After that - it just keeps getting better and better and easier and easier.

I feel more alive than I have in many years.
                      I sleep better
                      I feel healthy rather than unwell most of the time
                      I perform better at work
                      I spend more quality time with my family
                      I am exercising much more - and am fitter than I have been in years
                      I have loads more money to spend
                      I dont let friends and family down due to promises broken / lateness due to drink
                      I can drive at any time of the day or night.

The list goes on and on.

I hope you will give it a go - you just might get the real YOU / your REAL life back!

Best of luck

We are here 24/7 if you need anything!

Satori

xxx
                      "Though there are many paths at the foot of the mountain - all those who reach the top see the same moon - as any fule kno"

Comment

the gig is up

Wow! What wonderful words to read, thank you.

What took me so long? I guess just not being ready to stop. Occassionally, I'll go a day or two without drinking but those days are few and far between. I get home from work and before the purse hits the counter, I'm pouring a glass or wine/vodka tonic/cracking a beer. And I've also, after about 20 years, started smoking again. Good grief, what a mess I am. I feel like it's all spiraling down hill quick.

Scariest part for me is when I get home from work. I'm o.k. until then. And...I'd rather drink alone.

Comment

the gig is up

I am also one who comes home from work Plaid.. I am single mum and for some reason get a panic attack instantly I walk in the door.. all the dishes & the meal to cook and the homework.. the bills ... I used to 'relax' by going to the local bar, but since being a mum it's too 'shameful' for me to do that so yes.. drinking alone is the only way I've had to deal with the fear.. 'just a glass of wine while I cook dinner' becomes ever more as the evening wears on and after the kids are in bed there is time to 'relax' which involves more of course.

Satori - your words are going to be my mantra. I've allowed my fear to take over my life and it's stopping me enjoying being with my children and causing all kinds of other troubles. Thank you all for your posts!

Comment

Working...
                          X