We're reading: Drinking a Love Story by Caroline Knapp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An MWO favorite, Caroline Knapp is brutally honest in this powerful account of her battle with alcohol. Riveting insights into life as a highly functional problem drinker.

Hi All, I did pick this pick up a few weeks ago, I am only about one fourth of the way into the book and had to put it down. I think I had started it too early on in my own road to recovery. As the title of the book states it is Caroline Knapp's "love story with Drinking" and so far in the book she is really showing her passion for drinking....how she loves the taste, the way it makes her feel, how it opens her up....I am sure if I could just get past these first few chapters it will show her recovery and the down sides of drinking, ect. Caroline does brush lightly on the topic of her relationship with her Father and how that affected her drinking....She also points out that through here drinking years there were signs that she noticed but wasn't ready to quit, which I was able to relate to as well. For myself, I just don't care to read about how wonderful booze is tasteing for someone right now, because I'm sure it taste's and feels great, lol. Just like the day after tastes and feels like crap. I am doing well and almost at my one month mark, getting much more confident with my own choices. I may pick this back up again and continue reading in the next few weeks or so. Books are funny that way, they affect people differently. If anyone else has read this or is reading this I would love to hear there take on it.
    Happy Reading,
    Tammie

Comment

A Love Story

I read this book after going through the MWO program. I was about a year into my journey and felt I was ready for it. Like you, I could still relate to her pain and her love for drinking, but I had more time under my belt. I no longer had the need to drink to excess like she was still doing. I could drink moderately (and still can). I like your idea of waiting. Pick it up 6 months from now.

Continued success!

Nikki

Comment

Re: A Love Story

Thanks Nikki, I think I will try the book again in 6 months. Every one says it is a wonderful read.
        Congrats on your success!
        Tammie

Comment

Caroline Knapp

I loved this book, and it's easy reading. Poor gal, Caroline died last year of lung cancer in her early 40's, but she left behind some beautiful books. I think this bio can be helpful to all of us.

Comment

I loved this book too ... so inspiring. I found myself relating to so many things she was describing, I would drift off occasionally to reflect on my own situation. Some interesting points in the book:

* Drinking alone -- Is what you do to get rid of yourself ? to send yourself away.

* Alcoholics -- Struggle with competitive motivations. One side says, ?Drinking too much is bad, I?m going to cut down?. But the less rational side says, ?I feel bad, and I need a very specific thing to feel good, and that?s alcohol?.

* More than one addiction ? many who struggle with alcohol struggle with more than one addiction, and simply leave alcohol for something else. Caroline also struggled with an eating disorder that she describes in the book, apparently common for women with problems with alcohol. Something to be aware of.

* It was interesting how she described the typical alcoholic family with crazy drunk parents and if the children of these parents became alcoholics, everyone understood. She contrasts this to her well-educated, middle class family and wonders how she became an alcoholic. She learns much later her father was an alcoholic too. Point being, problem drinkers/alcoholics come from all kinds of families.

I think my new addiction is reading books like these. It has helped me to understand many things, especially how my problem with alcohol evolved like it did. It?s also helpful knowing what others with serious alcohol addictions have done to recover like Caroline, and what finally motivates them to take the steps to recovery. The statistics for successful recovery are remarkably low unfortunately. I?m pleased to beat the odds!

Grace

Comment

* Drinking alone -- Is what you do to get rid of yourself ? to send yourself away.

Whoa--what a powerful post.

In the last five years, I have lost a younger brother (close family), my husband of 20 years, my aunt (more akin to a sister), and my mother. D'ya kinda think I have been drinking to rid myself of me and my pain???

Although I really haven't been drinking up to my pre-MWO standards, I must off me to a therapist, methinks. . . . The deaths are piling up way too fast and I do believe I have passed the point of dealing. Because if I don't learn to deal with it, I will be right back there.

Thanks for this post. It drove a point home, that I was already cognizant of, but I do think I needed the spike in the head, and I think this was it. I had been drinking to get rid of me, and I really am a nice sort of person; just need to learn to deal with all the pain.
              Wow again
              Ter

Comment

Ter,
                When I read this book, several things hit home, that phrase being one of them so I posted it ... it had an impact on me too. If it opens a door for you that's great. I'm so sorry to hear of your losses ... must be devasting for you.

I lost my father at 15 to alcohol and I never dealt with it, and then I followed in his shoes ... I became a heavy drinker. It's hard to explain, but somehow this program, MWO, reading this book and relating to Caroline's relationship w/her father who was also an alcoholic has somehow allowed me to finally let go. I feel "peace" inside that I haven't felt in all these years. I wish I had the words to better explain this.

I just think sometimes we are fortunate enough to come across something that we connect with, that we relate to on a level that suits us just right, ...a phrase, a book, or a program like MWO that changes our lives forever.

Gracie

Comment

Working...
                X