Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to expect??

Hello all,
    New member, 1st post, 1st full day without booze in over 3 years. I had been drinking 1/2 liter of bourbon daily for over a year. I am concerned about withdrawl symptoms, as I have been surfing the net trying to find something like this site for info.

What should I expect and is this as dangerous as some of the info out there says. So far (about 28 hours AF) all I have is a general jitteriness, but some of the things I've read have me worried. Should I do this without medical help???

Thanks to all who reply,
    Bummn

What to expect??

Hi,

I'm a wine drinker, so I'm not sure what your withdrawal symptoms will be like for you. I know that I drink about a bottle of wine a night, but I am not sure how that compares to bourbon. You may not have any withdrawal symptoms at all, because it does vary from person to person. I just wanted to let you know that it does get pretty quiet around here at this time of night so don't be surprised if you don't get many responses tonight. Also, you may want to post your question again in the morning because late night posts often get bumped to the bottom of the list and inadvertedly are missed. I'm so glad that you are looking for help with your problem. We are all here for the same reason. There are many wonderful people here who have a lot of insight and support to offer. I look forward to hearing from you tomorrow. Good luck.

Julie

Comment

What to expect??

I thought "shakes" was a clown

Julie,
      Thanks for the help. I am just trying to find out if cold turkey is the way to go. I'm afriad to trry any other way, as in the past I have had good intentions and a week later it was the same old sh*t. Right now I just have a mild case of the shakes and keep thinking if I just have a drink it'll be better, but we all know where that one can lead to.......

I'll post again and thanks again for the reply!

Bummn

Comment

What to expect??

Hi Bummn, I don't know if you noticed but RJ has a "sticky" under the Need Help ASAP thread about alcohol withdrawal. I've copied and pasted it here for you in case you can't find it -

Please visit the following links and seek professional care if you are experiencing alcohol withdrawal symptoms.

http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH/WSIHW000/9339/25725.html
        http://alcoholism.about.com/od/withdraw/a/blucd040604.htm
        http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/000764.htm

RJ
        Welcome and hope you feel better soon!

Comment

What to expect??

all,
          thanks, but I can't justify a trip to the ER to get me through one night. I am just sitting here @ 12 am when I have to be up for work in 5 hours. Just reading old threads helps, as I can't sleep. Funny how easy it was to just pass out..........

Comment

What to expect??

Hi Bummn - Welcome.

Yes, sleep (and eating) were really odd for a couple of weeks for me. I think for some it was only a few days but not good for anyone for nights 1-3! But stick here rather than drink and it'll pass. (I know, it was all too easy to just 'pass out'!!)

I wish you loads of luck and determination...
            Love
            FMFxx
            :heart: c: :heart:
            "Be patient and gentle with yourself - the magic is in you."

Comment

What to expect??

Hi Bummn, Love your name! Welcome to a wonderful place to get support and advice. If you are having a really bad time make sure you ask for help and get someone to go into chat with you. There's someone on the site 24 hours a day because of the time differences.

And please, if you need the hospital - GO.

The next couple of days may be difficult, but you can get through them. Hundreds of us on here have already come through the other side and will support you any way we can.

F

PS that is NOT my real photo! lol
              It always seems impossible until it's done....

Comment

What to expect??

Hi Bummn and welcome.
                Like the others have said, you need to take very good care of yourself during withdrawal and must seek medical help if you feel very out of sorts.
                Am glad you`ve made your decision to quit.........a whole new life awaits you without the drink...........I used to just muddle through, but now that I`m sober, I get excited every time I open my eyes to a new day.

And please, don`t listen to Flip...........that IS her real pic........she`s almost a year sober, and poor girl has done nothing but stuff her face with calorie-laden goodies since she lay off the wine. lol

Wishing you love and strength for your journey ahead,

Starlight Impress x

Comment

What to expect??

Thanks all!!

Well I made through the night without hitting the bottle. Off to work to try the day without being hungover (My employees might be in for a rude awakening!!). I will check in when done as that was always the worst time for me ("I worked hard today, I deserve a few drinks to unwind" was my rationalization for starting drinking)........

Thanks
                  Bummn

Comment

What to expect??

Hi Bummn, :welcome: to MWO,

Hope that your day at work was good ....

Do you have anything to help you sleep?? When I first joined here I couldn't sleep but it will get better I promise ....
                    sigpicXXX

Comment

What to expect??

Work was actually better than expected. Now the real fun begins. Right now I would be on my second (or 3rd) drink, as I've been off work for and hour. I'm going to go out and find some busy work..... Idle hands and all that!!

Thanks!

Comment

What to expect??

Bummn, thanks for checking back in .....

Keep busy, keep reading here .......

We are all rooting for you

Big hugs ........:l :l
                        sigpicXXX

Comment

What to expect??

Dear Bumm,

I hope you hang in there. I just found this site and hope it might be my way out.
                          Please take care.

Comment

What to expect??

Cuckoosnest
                            Glad you found the site
                            There's somewhere for us all here

B

Comment

What to expect??

well done Bummn and big welcome to you!! first three days are the hardest...then sleep should be tons better.
                              try to treat your body to some good vitamins. especially important during this phase are vit C, Magnesium and a potent B complex and vit B1 (thiamine) especially. You will not be able to get those in sufficient quantities from one multi. At night to fight cravings I take a LOT of L-Glutamine (5,000mg or more if I'm having cravings) don't worry as it's harmless and actually good for you. Hang in there!!!
                              nosce te ipsum
                              (Know Thyself)

Comment

Working...
                              X