Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wednesday Newbies in need ODAT

Good morning everyone.

Wow yesterdays thread was amazing. It seems ODAT struck a cord with so many. I decided to start another daily thread as sometimes the threads become so long you get a little lost.

A big welcome to the newer newbies, Want, Mokigirl, Taking Control etc. MOW, well done on the new position. Great to see you again Vinophile, I remember your name from way back. Well done on the moderation, you have made a hell of a better job of it than I did!!

A big thank you to the more senior members, sorry guys thats seems a bit agest!!! But your encouragement and advice is greatly appreciated. Magic I see where you are coming from regarding Rehab and I guess we all do whatever gets us through. I agree that there is something in our backgrounds that causes us to drink. I am going through online counselling at the moment and I am finding that very useful. I have discovered that from my early experiences I was shown to hide things from people around me. Thats why I am more comfortable with MWO than AA and on-line counselling than face to face.

I also take responsibility for everything. My counsellor said to me yesterday that perhaps if I end up with all this responsiblity there must be a way of finding relief for myself somehow, and perhaps this might be a trigger for using alcohol? It has certainly given me something to think about.

Want, I found it very useful to write about my background, so go ahead on post on My Story in whatever way you want. Look forward to seeing more of you, I am sure you will contribute so much to this board and we are all there to support you and each other.

On Day 26 and thankfully had a good day yesterday. Today is another day and a fresh start. Good luck everyone.

Rustop

Hey Rustop - good one.....and good on everyone....
    Just posting reply#1 for the day to wish everyne a good one with as many blessings as possible. As our great DJ has just said on the radio in a wonderfully excited, positive, excitedly-like-we-used-to-think-when-we-were-little way, "Wonder what's going to happen today....?! Reminded me to think that and not, "What am I going to have to cope with today even if positively?" Essence of teeth gritting going on there I fear! NOT a good start!

The DJ is Johnnie Walker and he's been where we are and come out just great so..... his book is just fabulous. He worked in the US for many years too - anyone remember him? And the great Pirate Radio days here in the UK? I'm going to quote a few words he's written in his book....

From a letter from his counsellor he quotes.... "Thanks for sharing yourself with me. It has been a priviledge to work with you and watch you learn to live again. Be patient and gentle with yourself - the magic is within you."

That quote got me through the early days. (And him which is why he quotes it!) JW has a lot of gratitude in/from my heart!

And so much gratitude from me to everyone here and RJ. To watch each other learn to live again and be part of each other's 'support team' is a real priviledge.

THANKS!

Happy ODAT Thursday. (OTAT!!) (One Thursday...!)
    FMF xx

PS I was going for coffee with 'Old Flame' but he's cancelled for the third time.... once too many !!!!! Hey Ho! At least I'm not presuming it to be 'my fault for being me'!!!! Yea! (well, not as much!!)
    :heart: c: :heart:
    "Be patient and gentle with yourself - the magic is in you."

Comment

:upset: tears of gratitude are streaming down my face for yesterdays thread. thanks everyone. your kind words truly are helping me. i'll keep trying to reach out, i do find it very hard though.

well its a new day today and i'm not going to drink today or tonight.

my head is a bit battered today and i feel numb. don't feel like i can open up.

i've managed to get a downloadable copy of rj's book so i'm going to read that.

i hope everyone has a good af day today.

massive love to everyone :l
      want
      :h
      AF since April 8th 2008 :kudos::rays:

Snake....... come crawling,
      There's fire in your eyes,
      Bite me, excite me,
      I'll learn to realize.

The poison transmuted,
      Brings eternal flame.
      Open me to heaven,
      To heal me again.

Comment

Dear Friends: I agree that yesterday's thread was truly amazing. I like the idea of doing this day by day. The continuous threads get so long, they're hard to sort out.

I had a wonderful day yesterday...fun w/g-sons & a great day w/hubby too. When compared to a drinking day (throwing up, headache, guilt & remorse), why do I drink? I think I've sort of figured it out. Drinking is a way for me to run away from myself & my life. It's a way to put off settling conflicts, setting clear boundaries, giving & taking feedback. Sometimes the work of living life seems too much, & I want a break.

However, I know how wonderful I feel when I clear up an issue &/or just do the right thing. I don't need or want a drink. I think as I do what I have to do in order to live openly & honestly, the need for drinking will diminish.

For today, I will not drink. Thank you everyone for being there. Love, Mary
        Wisdom, Courage, Strength
        October 3, 2012

Comment

Rustop: I too was raised to be very withdrawn & never rock the boat. I have many people in my life who feel dependent on me. I created that situation. I think drinking offers me a break from all that responsibility. I'm learning that I can't be all things to all people. I have limits & must set them w/my loved ones. Now that I'm starting to do that, they step up. I'm getting help when I need it. I don't need to numb out w/drink. Keep exploring yourself. I think self-knowledge is the key to a joyful life. Mary
          Wisdom, Courage, Strength
          October 3, 2012

Comment

My newbie friends,

I am running very late and don't have much time but sending love and good vibes and taking them in, too.

I'll post later when I have more tine.

Take care until then and have a good day.

Cindi
            AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Hi All

I am wondering what ODAT means. Am I thick?

Nancy

Comment

No Nancy ur aren't...One Day at a Time. I'm on AF Day 3, as is my hubby. The support of MWO is instrumental for me, and for me to encourage Joe. Good one u all. :l :thanks:

Comment

Goodmorning everyone. Its good to see all the positive vibes this morning. Since this is a place of honesty, I must admit I failed to meet my goals yesterday. It was a stupid and a pointless thing to do, but at least I woke up feeling good this morning (no hangover) so all I can do try again. I figure if I finish out the week good, then at least I would have had not too bad of a week then.
                  I LOVE MY SEROTONIN AND BOOZE SCREWS IT UP!!!!!

Comment

Good Morning Everyone!
                    Today my goal is to get through with no drink. I am so thankful for this place. It's so helpful to read others stories and difficulties with shaking this awful critter!
                    I hope everyone has a wonderful AF day!!!

Comment

Mary - I am in awe of how well you put the whole darned thing as it is for me too..... "Drinking is a way...... I want a break". But the bit in the middle is spot on. I have to believe that I will build those 'living muscles' OK if I use them.... and it IS getting better. Booze made them wither away.

Self-belief.... why on earth do I want to do a BA Hons in Arts and Humanities? A BA Hons in Humanity Towards Me By Me would be a really good place to start!!! Will you guys come to my graduation in 2307?!?!

Love, luck, courage and belief to everyone today...
                      FMF xx
                      :heart: c: :heart:
                      "Be patient and gentle with yourself - the magic is in you."

Comment

Good Day Everyone!

I'm glad everyone is here!

I sometimes read a book of quotes at night and I found one for you last night:

Even a happy life cannot be without a measure of darkness,
                        and the word "happiness" would lose its meaning if
                        it were not balanced by sadness.
                        Carl Gustav Jung

It's hard for those of us who were taught not to "speak up" to "speak up" now and say no, ask for help, question or simply say...."that's not right".
                        I am one of those people. My mother told me just to "never mind" even when my husband was being an ass. That's how I learned to cope.

Then, I learned to cope with a bottle, and escape. It was the best I could do at the time. I thought.

The dynamics of this are so complicated and complex but healing starts with what all of you are doing. Reaching out and taking it One Day at a Time. Supporting each other, picking each other up, sharing experiences and being honest.

I salute each and every one of you, you who are just reading too, for trying your best.
                        That is all you can ask of yourselves.

Want....thanks for visiting. :l

Smile at a stranger today.

magic xx
                        ~Are you looking for the Holy One?
                        I am in the next seat.
                        My shoulder is against yours. ~Kabir

Comment

Thanks for the welcome Rustop.

I will not drink today. Oh, this is so much easier than saying I will not drink for "X" amount of days! This is day 4 in a row for me and I feel fantastic!!! I've been sleeping like a baby.

I went to a Farmers Market this morning and loaded up on lots of veggies so that I can make Weight Watcher low points meals. This afternoon I am going to work out in my weed filled garden and enjoy this lovely weather. Oh how I love Autumn!

Have a great day!
                          tc

Comment

Hi ODATs,
                            Nice to be able to check in at this time. Usually this is the time I can begin to debate with myself whether I will or won't have a glass of wine.

Mary ,you are so right about drinking instead of facing problems, putting up boundaries and doing the other "work" that keeps us mentally balanced. It seems so much easier to pop the cork than to place my emotional ducks in a row. However we all know that the downside is waking up feeling ill and knowing that you once again didn't handle the issues that needed to be dealt with.
                            FMF, I, too, wish that having a cup of tea would serve to relax me. I have always envied my (mostly British and Irish) friends who would gain solace from drinking acup of tea. I have tried and tried and tea does just not do the trick. I have found that various (and usually expensive) sparkling waters will help. I do love the support you offer here and enjoy all of your posts!!!!

I am going to try and get the boring chores around here done early so that I can enjoy watching a movie tonight. I have found that watching a good film can take me away the way the wine used to.

I wish you all a pleasant AF evening.

Janet

Comment

Hello Everyone!! Hope you all are having a good AF day.. Anyone can Be AF ODAT, right?!?!
                              Don't look too far ahead, just today.

I'm glad to see such a mix of old timers, middle AFers, and newbies all here!!

Beat the Beast!!

Don

Comment

Working...
                              X