Thursday, Newbies in Need ODAT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For anyone who might not know ODAT is one day at a time. That's how I'm taking my sobriety: one day at a time. I do keep track on DrinkTracker, but I don't want to count days or declare a sobriety date just yet. I feel extrememly strong today, & I guard my sobriety. I know what I have to do to stay sober today:
    -push any cravings or tempting thoughts away & replace them w/sobriety thoughts.
    -do what I need to do & say what I need to say in order to take care of myself.
    Good luck everyone. Please feel free to post here. It doesn't matter what stage of recovery you are in. All are welcome. Mary
    Wisdom, Courage, Strength
    October 3, 2012

I want to start but don't know where to begin.....drugs or no drugs.....is it the only way. Can you slow down without the medication? Quit smoking 2 packs a day 6 years ago with no problems....this is more scary....

Comment

Millie,

The greatest part of this program is that it is not a ONE SIZE FITS ALL. (Good thing for Flip!) Read the book and see what makes sence for you. The supplements, however, I think are a must as is reading the posts on a daily basis. I am doing the program without meds and have been pleased with the results.

I will not drink today. I will however, have a kick-butt day cleaning and cooking. Today, I am in charge, not the wine glass.

tc

Comment

I am committed to starting again. I got a topamax scrip today and will start on that, with the hope that it will make a long term difference. I just don't want to feel subhuman any more. Apparently the latest research on campral is casting doubts on it's effectiveness. I've been on it for several years, and never seem to manage more than a few weeks AF at the most, so it's time to try somthing else. I knowe a pill isn't going to fix anything by it's self, but I hope that topa, supplements, and renewed activity here will make the difference.
        IO
        "uch: When you kick youreslf in the butt, all you get is a sore butt and a tired foot"

Comment

i'm not going to have a drink today, i didn't have one yesterday.

i hope everyone looks after themselves and reaches their goals today

massive love
          want
          :h
          AF since April 8th 2008 :kudos::rays:

Snake....... come crawling,
          There's fire in your eyes,
          Bite me, excite me,
          I'll learn to realize.

The poison transmuted,
          Brings eternal flame.
          Open me to heaven,
          To heal me again.

Comment

felt the need to log on again. having a bit of a struggle at the moment, for a while now i've been gonong to the pub every Thursday night and i'm finding myself sat at work thinking about how much i want to go out tonight when i promised myself i wouldn't. feel a bit panicky at the thought of not going for a drink tonight. done so well all week. can't understand why i feel so worried about not going. feel like i NEED to go all of a sudden.whys this suddenly happening??

Comment

Oh Shellbee, I know the temptation is so hard. In my younger days I would look so forward to Thursday nights so I could hit the bars. It would have killed me to pass on a night out, or so I thought.

Can you plan something else "special" for yourself to do tonight? Something that you ordinarly would not do? Or, if the socialization with co-workers is what you need, how about if you eat a big meal prior to the pub and then maybe you won't want to drink. (Full stomach is my best hedge for not wanting a drink)

Anyhow, good luck tonight!
              tc

Comment

Hi Shellbee & ODATers

I hope it's ok to jump in and join this thread. It's a comfort to know it's ok to not plan 30 60 six months one year etc in advance and be afraid of failing to live up to my own expectations. I'm trying to moderate, not go totally abstinent. Time will tell if I should have done a 30 day stretch first. I just started reading the book last night.
                I have so far been moderating without a problem but who's to say if it suits me in 2/3/weeks' time or 2 months' time. So i'm very tentative in my whole approach. Some of the longer members have defined moderating for them as: no more than 2 0r 3 on any night/day, and no more than 3 drinking nights in the week i think. Hope it's not totally appropriate of me on this thread. Would you let me know Mary?

Shellbee,
                Probably because it's a comforting habit-feeding 'habit' you've grown accustomed to enjoying, especially as it's almost the weekend.

Find something totally different to do as a sort of excuse to tell your head.
                'Well i can't go to the pub because i'm going in to the leisure centre for a sauna and jacuzzi instead'.
                Or 'i'm going to change all the bed linen (a favourite of mine we have the cleanest beds in the county) and do all the ironing'
                Or 'i'm going to visit this person cos i've haven't met them for a coffee in ages and we have to catch up'.
                Is there any activity you can think of that could occupy you physically or mentally or both for a couple of hours?

Retteacher, millie, TC, IO and WRM
                Hope you guys are doing well today. We have the old north wind here at the moment, so cold the clothes look like we're standing up in them on the line.

Have a great evening

B

Comment

thanks tc. i'm coming up with all sorts of excuses in my head to have a drink and thinking up all sorts of plans about where i can leave my car and wherei can borrow money from - all of which my better judgment tells me are completely ridiculous and not worth the hassle. nearly time to clock off i'm gonna really have to grit my teeth and just say no. sooooooooo hard!!

Comment

Here is a little tip that worked for me yesterday. Im a newbie too, but doing well lately. Last night I almost drank, but instead this is what I did. I imagined that I did pour myself a nice vodka and tonic. Ok so I imagined OK after I finish that Vodka tonic, then what would I do? I knew the answer. Of course I would want another. Then I knew I would stop by the wine store on the way home, and I ALWAYS finish the bottle. So I already knew what I would do if I had that first vodka. Visualizing my next move, and then my next, made me realize just screw it! Im staying sober! Well hey at least it worked last night....
                    I LOVE MY SEROTONIN AND BOOZE SCREWS IT UP!!!!!

Comment

thank you Mary for this post today. I'm trying to get to ODAT, but at least I have cut way back and feel stronger. You have been and are an inspiration to me. The supps really help, I don't know about about Topa 'cause my doctor would'nt prescribe it.
                      Strength to all,
                      CTG

Comment

Hello All,

Good advice, Overit!!! That kind of thinking is what AA calls "thinking through the first drink" I'm not much of an AA fan but they do have a few quips that I find quite apt. If I think beyond the first glass of wine then I see that after those first few sips the time spent drinking is just not worth it. It has helped me on many occasions just not pick up that first drink.

Keep up the good work all. It's not easy but so worth it!!!1
                        Janet

Comment

Happy day all!
                          Overit, I love that advice. I'll use it when needed for sure. I'll also think all the way through to how I feel after the "good buzz" that lasts with the second and third drink is over then I just feel drunk and absurd, then the feeling of waking at 3am hating myself and the anxiety and guilt that lingers the next day....

I am not going to drink today.
                          FINALLY -- I'm a non-drinker!!

Comment

Overit & Vino: I love your advice. I do not have an "off" switch, so that romantic, lovely, relaxing drink is all imainary for me. I'd go for the whole bottle & end up feeling sick & disgusted w/myself. Also, I love: "think through the first drink." I never, ever stop at one...that's something I have to remember when I want that "first drink." Thank you, Mary
                            Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                            October 3, 2012

Comment

Hi everyone

Great to see so many newer newbies, newbies, older newbies, whatever you would like to call us all together. I too tried that same method Over and it worked for me. Something else thats really working for me is this thread. I started off on 1st September trying for 30 days and for weeks I could tell you exactly what day I was on. Today I was about to type in my usual I'm on Day ?? and I couldn't remember was it 25, 26, 27. I think thats really good, it stops me focussing too much on the future plus I'm enjoying this thread so much. It's great to read about people who did not think they could manage one day AF, (believe me we have all been there) be so positive the next day when they have achieved that goal. Well done everyone.:goodjob:

Rustop

Comment

Working...
                              X