What is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is this?

Hi everyone. I post once in a blue moon.. but read hourly every day. What a great forum. I haven't drank since Monday night. Haven't had any w/d problems. But.... tonight I don't feel right in my own skin. I don't want or crave anything at all to drink. But I feel wierd inside. I went to the grocery store and had several items in my basket and after about 30 minutes put everything back because I couldn't make up my mind and I felt like I had to get out of there. Never once did I crave a drink.
    I was ok when I got home. We went to dinner and in the restaurant.. I felt the same way as in the grocery store. But dinner was great and I didn't crave a drink.

I feel great in the mornings and all day. But I'm tired all day long and I really feel like I'm trying to get over the flu or something. I am taking vitamins and supps. But how long is this going to last. And what is that feeling deep inside even though I'm not craving the drink?

Also, I have noticed red splotches on my cheeks.. Will these go away with no drinking?

Thanks for reading and replying.
    Tee:new:

What is this?

Hi Tee

Are you feeling anxious?

Physical symptoms that often accompany the anxiety include fatigue, headaches, muscle tension, muscle aches, difficulty swallowing, trembling, twitching, irritability, sweating, nausea, lightheadedness, having to go to the bathroom frequently, feeling out of breath, and hot flashes.

from the U.S Institute of Mental Health...it was the easiest list of symptoms I could find.

Anxiety is often a symptom of withdrawal. I often got it and it was so hard to pinpoint sometimes. The dizziness I had was the worst.

NIMH · Anxiety Disorders · Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD)

This is the link if you want more information. Perhaps a doctor's visit is in order?

Congratulations on your AF days, that's wonderful ! Don't be a stranger, keep posting!

magic xx
    ~Are you looking for the Holy One?
    I am in the next seat.
    My shoulder is against yours. ~Kabir

Comment

What is this?

Yeah, I agree with Magic although I was going to say panic, which probably sounds more extreme.
      Panic attacks usually happen after extended periods of anxiety and can take a person pretty much my surprise if they have not experienced them before.

However, you don't mention anything about feeling faint or breathing funny so it is probably just anxiety.

Do you know any deep breathing exercises for relaxation??

x
      Amelia

Sober since 30/06/10

Comment

What is this?

Thanks guys. I Have had panic attacks and it isn't that bad. I don't have problems breathing. Just feeling like I don't belong in myself. Sorry I can't describe it better. But it iprobably is anxiety. I'm up early going for a run this morning. Woke up with a headache but it is gone.
        Amelia... I'm training for a marathon in January so the only deep breathing techniques I know is the OMG I'm fixing to die because I can't catch my breath.. But seriously.. I'm just proud to be AF for now. THank you both for your replys. I hope it gets better quickly.
        TEE

Comment

What is this?

I am not an expert on withdrawl symptoms but these sure sound to me like withdrawl symptoms. In a way, that's a good sign. If you drank as heavily as I did for as many years as I did, your body goes through a tremendous physiological and psychological experience after alcohol withdrawl. I quit drinking a few years ago and am still dealing with some of the psychological changes.

Look at it as a positive step forward. Be proud of your AF days and just keep on rolling with that. I am so glad you are not having cravings. That's great.

You might want to check out some of RJ's research on withdrawl. I know she has a lot of links to information on other parts of this webpage.

Good luck to you. Stick around.
          Rest in Peace, Bear. We miss you.

Comment

What is this?

i have a recommendation on this: talk to your doctor and ask for an ativan prescription to help w/withdrawal. it makes a huge difference. and it's not at all addictive. it's an anti-anxiety agent that takes away that crawly 'ick ... it's uncomfortable to be here in my own skin' feeling. you'll sleep well. you won't be dopey. and it won't loosen you up so much that you say 'aw ... i'm so loose, let's have a drink on top of it.' ;-) seriously, though .. it was a big help first time around for me ... and i'd be back on it right now to help w/the transition if my psych weren't out of town.

Comment

Working...
            X