Support and pride weakness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I spent years thinking admitting I had a weaknesses or dependence or alcoholic would make my other half think that I was less than perfect and tarnish my manly stupid pride.

For the first time I realise that my admitting this has helped so much and in fact my drinking caused her to think less of me and that tarnished my stupid suit of armour instead of maintaining it.

Its a first step for me but I think I can do it, and everyone (especially people thinking you're protecting people around you) needs to think of strength to be gained and not the weakness.

I hope this makes some kind of sense.

Hi amashed

I have read your post a few times and I think I see what you are saying.

May I paraphrase, and then you can tell me if I've got it right?

You were worried about admitting to yourself and others, specifically your other half, that you had a dependence on alcohol as it would cause you to seem less than perfect and hurt your pride and, in fact it did, but you have gained strength from this admission.

You wish that those around you could see that this admission has given you strength and that our dependence on alcohol is NOT a sign of weakness.

Well, if I've got it right, amashed, that's a huge first step in your journey to wellness.
    We are certainly not a weak bunch. Tough as nails, I'd say.

If your other half sees your admission as a sign of weakness she is only going by what society has taught her. It is up to you to teach her otherwise.

I congratulate you on your successful beginning, your admission, to yourself and others.

Continue to gather strength here. We have it in abundance.

magic xx
    ~Are you looking for the Holy One?
    I am in the next seat.
    My shoulder is against yours. ~Kabir

Comment

when others don't have the dependency on alcohol they don't necessarily understand. that would be why anonymity was always a big thing i suppose. i have learned to talk about it to those that have the challange and my dr. they understand. and well my dr. is very understanding because as she says has an addictive behavior. and if she wasn't allergic to alcohol would have done that addiction too. so, congrats on af. very proud of you. and mostly it matters that you admit to yourself.
      :welcome:

Comment

Amashed, once again I am so proud of you for your actions of the past few days .......

Your partner is very very special ............ as are you .......
        sigpicXXX

Comment

Magic,

Thank you for helping me out (I'm still a bit fuzzy on these seditives although today is my last day). Odd that for years I thought my admission would be seen as a failure when its been greeted as the strongest thing I've ever done.

I'm changing my doctor tomorrow as I feel this would also help (I always got an impression when I approached the subject in the past its was seen as timewasting and when I asked for help on Thursday this was proved). So its time for a fresh start and being 100% honest (for the first time!).

And Betty - you are an inspiration here and I once again cannot thank you enough. I wish you all the kindest in the world. You deserve it.

Comment

great job amashed! Good luck at the new doc.
            Marcie

Comment

Working...
            X