Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Introduction... Looking for Support

Hello all,

First post to the forum :new: , although I've been reading lots of your messages, which I've found very helpful. I've ordered the book and hope to have it in the next few weeks.

A little background on me... I've always enjoyed a glass of wine, or a gin-and-tonic now and then, while out for a nice dinner, or at the holidays getting together with family.

About 3 years ago I had gastric-bypass surgery (food was my first addiction). In 7 months I went from 242# down to 123#.... it was great, I couldn't have cared less about food and hadn't had a glass of wine (or anything) in over a year - no biggie, didn't think about it/care about it at all. The next year was great... healthy weight, eating right, working out, looking great... everything I'd wanted and more.

About a year or so ago, somewhere along the way, I had a glass of wine... and then more often - and then more glasses, more often. And, now here I am... when a bottle of Chardonnay a day is nothing... two bottles a day is more the norm - and even that sometimes isn't enough.

Besides the obvious negative aspects to drinking too much, it also makes me eat too much... plus, I don't sleep well, and I just feel... blech. Maybe worst of all is that I've put back on ~40lbs in the last year. That is just so depressing to me. I had surgery and was so successful.... to think I could screw it all up is terrifying. :upset:

I can't believe I've gotten to this place.... I've heard of "addiction transfer" after Weight Loss Surgery.... Just wondering if anyone else has faced this challenge? And, if so, how have you handled it? What do you recommend?

Even if it's not "addiction transfer"... any advice you can offer would be most appreciated. I have been able to "quit" drinking before... my problem now seems to be that I can't have "just a glass"... once I start, I'll go until the last drop is gone.

Thanks for any help you can offer!
    Cheryl :thanks:

Hi Cheryl and welcome to MWO, I ,personally, do not have any experience in the weight problem area but there are a few members that have had gastric-bypass and will be glad to talk to you about their experience.
    If you want to stop drinking you have come to the right place. Read the book, keep reading and posting here and you will find a wonderful group of people ready and willing to help you.
    Again, welcome..
    Don

Comment

Hi Missy!

Welcome!

The weight can be very depressing, can't it? Especially when you have tried so hard and gone through so much to get rid of it.! Congratulations on that!

Chief wouldn't know, he's a very handsome runner.

You'll have to start at the beginning, by putting down the glass, when you're ready.

Until then~read and post some more so we can get to know you better.

magic xx
      ~Are you looking for the Holy One?
      I am in the next seat.
      My shoulder is against yours. ~Kabir

Comment

Welcome to MWO!

Do you think that you are in a phase of your life where you are feeling unhappy? I just ask that because often we please ourselves with food and/or alcohol when the rest of our life is not that satisfying. I'm barely out of newlywed stage (a couple of years), and I am definitely compensating with alcohol--an excuse, I know...but I'm not very happy right now. Are you happy? If not, what can you do differently. How do step outside of the box and go back to that place where you were so proud of yourself. Weightloss is fantastic, but even better is having a grasp on alcohol consumption. Be strong and remember how good yoiu felt in your best days. Good luck !

Julie

Comment

Cheryl ... here's my thought on it. Alcohol addiction isn't much different from food addiction. Carbs are carbs. When you put too many food carbs (white bread, potatoes, pasta etc.) you crave more of them. And you eat out of control and balloon in weight. It's the same w/drinking. Your body processes it as pure sugar (it can't tell the dffernece between a snickers bar and a glass of wine or two). You burn it quickly and it leaves your body craving more.

One thing I've found: following a low glycemic south beach-type diet (and the sort recommended on MWO) really does help reduce cravings for ALL carbs. food carbs. and alcohol carbs. A two week stint alcohol free and white carb free really makes you feel different. the first few days are hard. after that, it's not so bad. the trick (and i'ts one i'm going to do again after lapsing) is to rid your kitchen of everything 'bad' for the diet, and stock it up with stuff that's good for it ... that you LIKE. if you don't feel too deprived it's easier to stick with. i also avoided social occasions where i'd be tempted to drink during that time ....

good luck!

Comment

Cheryl, Welcome :welcome:

Are you eating and drinking purely for comfort?? What is the payoff each of these activities is giving you. Try noticing when you feel like over eating and drinking (the sort of situation you are in and the thoughts you are having) and see if you can find a pattern. If you can find some kind of common theme, you may then be able to find other activities (healthier ones) that give the same kind of payoff without the consequences of drinking and over eating.
            Other than that. You are on the right road by being here and having the book in the post and on its way to you. This is the greatest place to just 'be yourself'. And by that I mean, you don't have to be perfect. Everyone here is human and everyone here is respected no matter where they are in their journey and that is really special.

I hope you find the book as inspirational as I did and I hope it helps you find your own 'way out'.
            Amelia

Sober since 30/06/10

Comment

Cheryl,

:welcome:

I am one of the gastric bypass patients, so I am very happy you have joined. I do think our alcoholism is a bit different because of it.

Unlike you, though, I drank 2-3 glasses of wine a night pretty much all my adult life. I never thought there was anything wrong with it and considered it a part of my usual routine. I guess I could say "problem" drinker. (My husband says alcoholic - but then again he doesn't drink)

When I had my gastric bypass, like you the first year was heaven 289 - 145. Healthy, happy, vital. I could even run through the airports with all my bags and not skip a beat. Yea!!

Shortly after my year was up, I started my 2-3 glasses/night and like you, it crept up and crept up fast. 1-2 bottles a night became quite the norm. In the last year many blackouts and many bad days at work.

I am not sure if is the "addictive" personality thing, or the craving for sugar, which we can't eat, but can consume with alcohol; or is it a combination of both. I do know it is killing me, my liver hurts when I drink and I feel like I am hammering my kidneys and it is only a matter of time before I hurt my career with this.

I have been able to recently go AF with one major slip, for most of Sept and am planning on a completely AF Oct - however, several of us recognize it is truly a one day at a time, we "meet" on the Just Starting Out Forum in Newbies ODAT thread.

My goal is abstinence, not moderation, because I recognize that somehow and someway, my "off" switch disappeared. I drink until there is no more to be drunk.

I am happy you are here and hope you can find your way out.

Read the book and look at the supplements, they have done a world of good for me.

I hope to get the cds soon, myself.

Best of luck and welcome again,
              Cindi
              AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Thank you so much everyone for your replies. I appreciate the suggestions and alot of your comments made me look at things in a new way.

Cindi, seems we have quite a bit in common - Congrats on your fantastic weight loss! How long were you drinking 1-2 bottles before you quit? I've been doing this for almost a year and I worry what kind of damage I have created in my body, and is it permanent. When you say your "liver hurts"... what does that feel like? I'm wondering if I've been feeling stuff like that too... Also, did you gain any weight due to the drinking? Like I said, I've put back on about 40 pounds... If you did gain, did you start to lose again once you quit drinking?

As much as I'd like to "moderate" I don't think that will work for me. Once I start... the only thing that stops me is an empty bottle, or passing out. It's kinda sad to think I won't even be able to have a celebratory glass of wine at a special occasion or over the holidays.... but I have a feeling if I had one glass, I wouldn't stop with that one. So, quitting completely is probably best for me.

I'll start with today... no drinking today. That's not too overwhelming. And, then tomorrow I can try for two days, and so on... Thank you again everyone... I'll be back and will keep you posted.

Cheryl:thanks:

Comment

:new: My Oh My! I am a problem-drinker, overweight by 50+ lbs but never had to deal with the bypass since I didn't fall into the category. However, having 3 C-sections and a friend that DID have the bypass I know that surgery, any surgery, is life-altering. My friend that had the surgery doesn't drink but does 'other' addictions. She is doing well on her weight-loss. Still, I think, after seeing this websight, any addiction is an ADDICTION and we need to control that. I too am new here. I have found that there is much love and strength here, among lots of info and encouragement.

I get my book tomorrow and my herbs! My top will come within 10-14 days! I am hyped!

You are a very strong person to have gone-through that kind of surgery. It makes me think that you are willing to do whatever it takes to be healthy!

Blessings and Prayers from me to yours!!!!
                  :new:

Comment

I think I have read about gastric bypass patients developing alcoholism. Maybe on an MWO thread?

You might want to do some research on this.

Vino Girl offers some good advice.

I think there must be some kind of underlying addictive issue for you and you probably have transferred it to booze following your surgery. I hope you overcome this and lose the weight you have put on recently. sorry I can't be more helpful.

Comment

Miss Cheryl,

Hi there and welcome aboard!

A short while ago, I watched an in deth interview with Carnie Wilson on the Oprah showl. If you remember, Carnie Wilson is a singer song writer and the daughter of Beach Boy Brian Wilson. Carnie went very public regarding her Gastric Bypass, several years ago.

Carnie was on Oprah to discuss her own alcohol problems since her surgery and loosing all of the weight. According to Carnie, this is a very common occurance. Carnie said research is showing that the surgery very quickly causes the person to loose the weight without dealing with the deep emotional issues of over eating and food addiction.

You might want to goole Carnie Wilson, I'll bet you will find a lot of information.

Regardless, MWO is a Real way to get sober and healthy at the same time.

Congratulations on Taking Your First Big Steps!
                      Kate
                      A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

3rd Day AF... So far, so good

Hi again everyone and thanks again for all your help.

I'm am almost through my 3rd evening without any wine. It hasn't been too terrible.... although I do miss it. After work, while I'm cooking dinner, kids stressing me out... I'm so used to having that glass right there. So, it's definitely been in the back of my mind, almost in a sad "miss my friend" sorta way... but I know it's not my friend.

It's been really nice going to bed at a decent hour (if not SUPER early, just to get the evening over with!) instead of sitting up until 1, 2 or 3am (sometimes later) by myself drinking, and it's been nice waking up remembering the previous evening, not feeling shaky and tired and berating myself for "doing this again".

The weekend will be the next challenge... I can already hear that little voice... "But, it's the weekend!". But, I'm determined to abstain. I even cancelled on my monthly Bunco group so I wouldn't have to deal with all the drinking (since that's the main reason everyone gets together anyway - to eat and drink!). It was always alot of fun, but I just don't think I could handle it - at least not right now.

Oh... I got the book yesterday. Haven't had a chance to start reading it yet but I am anxious to get into it...

Anyway.... so far, so good. Thanks again everyone! I will definitely be back to check in.
                        Cheryl

Comment

Don't rule out going to a 12 step group. You can simply read this material, but don't rule out an AA meeting. You should definitly explore all options. Some people need to get out and share other people's experiences and fellowship.

Good Luck

Comment

Working...
                          X