X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st day without a drink!

Hi Everyone,

:new:

Scared my hubby on friday night,went out with friends clubing. when i got home, i passout in the bathroom he find it very hard to wake me up. Thats the 1st time thats happen to me. i do get blackouts sometimes. I have been drinking for the last 8yrs more or less everyday a bottle of wine or 2. if not diamond white. I THINK it started when my dad died, it felt like the final straw, because my mum and brother pass away 17yrs and my brother 15yrs ago.

My friends used to thing i was in control, but really behind close doors i be drinking. I can remember when i was a kid my dad used to come home drunk most nights and start on my older sister and brother. my dad used to work for turmans brewery... which probably didnt help him.

when i go shopping for wine i look to see what strenght it is. I can get throught a bottle of wine within 2hrs. at the moment i dont like myself very much. I know deep down i must STop drinking. in need of your support.
    You All sound like my cup of tea.
    family is everything to me

1st day without a drink!

Teardrop,

Welcome. This is a wonderful place to be. You will find tons of support. You just have to speak up when you need help! As everyone on this site will tell you, read as many posts as possible and read the MWO book. The book outlines the program that has helped so many countless people.

tc

Comment

1st day without a drink!

Welcome Teardrop, we have a lot in common. My mam is an alcoholic and my drinking has slowly crept up on me over the last few years. At the end of April I found this site and it's been a godsend, I managed 42 Af days but then my dad died in June, knocking me for six and I'm back on that slippery slope again. Today is the start of October and a new AF commitment from me. Read the book and get yourself the vitamins/supplements and post, post, post as much as you can!!!!!!! Its good to meet you.....good luck on your journey!!! Janicexxxx
      AF since 9 May 2012
      Quit trying to control something that is uncontrollable (Bear February 08)

Comment

1st day without a drink!

Teardrop,

:welcome:

You must have scared your husband silly. Mine would have been.

Yes, 2 bottles in a couple hours and blackout. Next morning, up, shaking, headache, scared because you know you are hurting yourself. By afternoon, the call of the vino.. Sound familiar?

Download the book, it is not very expensive. It has a ton of information. Read it, it isn't very long, and see what you think. People tailor this program for their personal needs. Some do the meds, some just do the supps, some do it all, etc.

However, this site also gives great encouragement and help. I could not be where I am today without this site!!

Good luck and again, welcome,
        Cindi
        AF April 9, 2016

Comment

1st day without a drink!

Hi, T.C, janice and db2,

Thank you for your support,i will buy the book soon. Ido have some supp/vitamins-multi vitamins,milk thistle and kudzu from the health shop. NOT sure if i need anymore?
          Janice so sorry to hear about your dad it must be hard, but the pain does get easier in time.
          My hubby thought i was having a stroke.
          I will find it hard after day2 without a drink, and weekends are out the window for me. But i will keep on saying to myself
          I CAN DO THIS AND I WILL.
          I have got a headache, feeling tired and very shortciruit- Bed early for me tonight!
          A place TO Escape....

Comment

1st day without a drink!

Hi Teardrop and welcome.
            Am sorry you`ve had such a lot of sadness in your life, and I think that`s what led so many of us to become hooked on booze........we used it as a form of escapism,only, it affords us no real escape.Drink cannot change a thing though, and we`re kidding ourselves if we drink to ease our anguishes........only works in the short-term and exacerbates most problems in the long-term.

Yeah, you sound just like me.........I used to knock a btl/wine away in no time at all.......and that was when I was being good. If in WTF mode, I`d think nothing of popping a second btl........every single night........YUCKKKKK!!!!

Take it from me........if you really make up your mind to quit, M.W.O. will be your saving grace. No way in the world was I ever going to quit, only, now I have.

Wishing you love and strength for your journey,

Starlight Impress x

Comment

1st day without a drink!

welcome too

Teardrop, I am back new,

scared my hubby many many times, passed out on an airplane once and the cops had to take me to a hotel, I was in a blackout and told them I didn't want to call my husband etc.....all kinds of things I do not remember...............like i said SCARRY!!! They had to break into the room to wake me up the next AM............

You are in the right place, I hope it works for you (AND ME ) I am scarred right now cuz I feel hopeless, but this is the best place to be ..........I love you!!!:h We all have that common thread:sighbubble: , like it or not!?

MA
              :rays:My happiness is my greatest gift to others:rays:eace:

Comment

1st day without a drink!

Hi cowgal and welcome.
                Please don`t be afraid.........I always termed myself a hopeless case as far as the booze was concerned, but I`ve kicked it..........believe me, there is no such a thing as being a hopeless case against the booze if you are willing to wholeheartedly commit to sobriety.

Love and strength to you,

Starlight Impress x

Comment

1st day without a drink!

Teardrop,

I know your story because I have lived it too. My husband and son tried to wake me up many nights after I read a story to my son in his room, then "fell asleep." My poor son. I just hope he forgets it all by the time he is grown up. Hopefully I can make up for it with alll the sober nights I have in front of me.

We can do this. I am new too, and just getting my grip on the ropes (as opposed to learning them). I am finding that the first thing to change is my attitude towards alcohol. I no longer take it for granted, that it is my reward or even duty to drink to be relaxed, cope, smile at the kids, etc. Life is hard, and sometimes we have to do it alcohol-free. But the good part is that when life is good, we can enjoy it so much more without a hangover. :jumpin:

I have not made it to alcohol free past a few days yet, but those few days were so good for me... I need to aim for a longer stint this time. But the good thing is that I really feel the affects of alcohol so much more after even just a few days alcohol free, so I see what feels bad to most people (but never felt bad to me) and hence have moderated much more than in the past. I do not like to get sleepy before dinner, and I do not like to feel like cr*p the next morning while driving my kids to school. Nothing feels worse than trying to eat my way out of a hangover the next day, knowing that I have wasted a whole day because of my own actions... and not even a day I enjoyed!

My advice -- do something really nice for yourself every day for the first few days. Keep alcohol out of the house for as long as you can. Have something else to look forward to, even a favorite chocolate or sweet tea drink. Something else in the evenings to savor is a great investment.

Good luck. Enjoy the day hangover-free!!

Moki

Comment

1st day without a drink!

I can relate to to everything. the first time I stopped drinking for 13 years through AA. But I had a ton of motivation because my kids were little. Now, 10 years later, I badly want to stop but each afternoon creeps around and I'm by myself alot and it's just so damned hard to not take that drink. In addition, I've started smoking again after 20 years. How awful, huh? I've been on this site several times today. Now, as the clock ticks closer to going home time, I'm getting squirmy. All my voices start calling me to the lure of my back patio with a cigarette and a drink.

Hope I can hang in there.

Comment

1st day without a drink!

Dear Teardrop,
                      I started reading your post and it could have been mine; I too passed out in the bathroom Friday night , only it was my boyfriend that couldn't get me up. He drinks ,but nothing compared to me and he is very angry with me and ready to give up if I don't get my act together. But that isn't my only motivator - it is for me. I'm early 50's and am actually very fortunate in alot of ways - actually in every way except this monkey on my back. I want so badly to shake it off and hold my head high instead of the embarasment and shame and guilt I feel. I just registered on MWO last night and want today to be my first 30 day AF. I don't know if you are ready for that, but October 1 is as good a day as any. Whatever you do , I'm rooting for you.

Comment

1st day without a drink!

FindingMyGrace, I too am early 50's and my boyfriend and I just split up in a large part due to my drinking. I also am very blessed with a good job, good friends and family, everything I need but I too have this monkey on my back. I signed up to do 30 days AF in October and so far am doing good.

Teardrop, hang in there. This is a great site and you will get lots of help.

Comment

1st day without a drink!

YOU are all so so amazing for all the support. i will take all your advice on board.last night i woke-up so many times i losts count- sweating like a pig. Had lots and lots of water to drink. This is my 2rd day still feeling tired in myself. Not sure yet about 30days, would love to thing i could do it.might have to take one day at a time! Reading all your stories makes me feel i'm not on my own here. ( so glad my friend told me about this site.)

I would like to wish everyone on this site lots of AF days!
                          Good Luck to us ALL!
                          Teardrop.x

Comment

1st day without a drink!

Good for you Teardrop. I didn't make it through the afternoon without my drink. I'd sure like to try again today, I'm not feeling too red hot, mentally or physically.

Comment

1st day without a drink!

Teardrop and plaid, we are all doing it one day at a time (like it or not, that is the only way I know how to do life! ?):happyheart: whether it is drinking, eating, dieting, exercise, sometimes it is one hour at a time for me!! Is this the first day for you plaid?? Hoep you make it past this afternoon patio calling you out, I know it is day one for me and it is the tall beer between my legs on the drive home that I crave so.

Will not drink today, though, we can DO THIS!!! It is scarry what could happen if we don't?

Keep checking in, I will have a busy night, but will try to make it a point to get here tomorrow if not later tonight..........................hugs and kisses to all:h :l

MA
                              :rays:My happiness is my greatest gift to others:rays:eace:

Comment

Working...
                              X