Been drinking so long kinda scared to stop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i started out here about a week ago and had three days sober! But i felt super energised in a anxious kinda way. Then I started to get a bit scared. I think that it is because I have been drinking so long, since about 13, I don't really know who I am without it. or maybe that with it i don't have to face who and what my life is. anyone else ever feel this way.

Hi hmmm! Feeling ansy and possibly overly sensitive is part of the healing process. When one uses alcohol on a daily basis it provides a fog for the central nervous system. Once the body is ridding the alcohol your nerves start to repair causing this. One might refer to it as 'jumping out of my skin'.

Don't be scared. If you are feeling anxious it might help to get in some exercise the next time around. Go for a brisk walk. I remember feeling as you were and I think I burned holes in my rug from the pacing and the mind racing. Fresh air does wonders for this. Drink lots of water too to expedite the flushing of the toxins. Herbal tea can help you relax as well.

I can relate, but this will pass in time. I do want to mention though; if you are going cold turkey after years of daily drinking make sure you do so with your doctor's help if need be.

Comment

Hmmm. Welcome. AFM has put it so well.... I second it all. This will pass - and yes, I felt that way too.... and it is so good not to any more. Just take it one day at a time..join ODATs maybe. One minute at a time sometimes...don't look too far ahead.
      I wish you the very best and keep posting wont you?
      Love FMF xx
      :heart: c: :heart:
      "Be patient and gentle with yourself - the magic is in you."

Comment

thanks hmmm

this is in response to your comment on my first post.. I copied it..

I agree as a mom we would do anything for our kids.. anything!!!! but we get so wrapped up in taking care of others that we lose ourselves.... I saw my counselor this week and this is her newest suggestion... Since we as mom's always seem to do things for others, next time I go for a beer say to myself " Matthew's mommy wants a beer, Matthew does not want mommy to have a beer, does mommy want to make Matthew sad, or can Mommy go get a drink of water?"

I felt that to be pretty powerful! I have yet to NOT have a beer since I started last week but I have totally cut back and tonight have made it past 5pm.. whew .. why can't bed time come sooner..
        :sigh:

Comment

thanks everyone. i have been taking the dog for a bike ride. which sound sfunny but helps and my daughter LOVES it. Good on you rapala. That is a great idea. I have cleaned all alcohol out of the house. well i drank it. BUT on the good side I think that I will take you rlittle trick so that when I want to go to the store i will say to myself your little chant with my daughters name in it!

Comment

Hmmm, let me think. Yes, I have experienced all that and it scares the hell out of you. Take it one day at a time and what Rapala suggested sounds really brilliant. If you can at all, do try to do the cessation with the help of your Dr. and keep reading and post your successes and your set backs. There are some very wise people here who would love to cheer you on.
            Love Lori
            *Definition of Insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result* Albert Einstein

Comment

hmmm,

The akwardness about not drinking is real and so too is restlessness and iritability. Being sober sounds great so far--doesn't it. The good news is that many people find that most of these withdrawl symptoms subside after 5-7 days.

Exercise with dog and bike is a great replacement activity. Try doing this when you get to that time of day when it is your time to drink. And if the cravings are deep commit to waiting them out until after your activity and ask yourself if you still choose to drink.

If you deceide to drink, be sure to examine what triggered the choice. You can probably identfy it.

Good luck, you CAN do this.

July

Comment

Hmmm.

Please join us on the ODAT (ONE DAY AT A TIME) thread.

That is how we get through this.

With ODAT and your children YOU CAN DO THIS!!

OMG, children are soooo important. Let's not forget the children, here.

You can do what you need to. I wish I had one it when my children were small.

I have two adult ALCHOLIC children. GREAT. Do not do that to your loved onces...

Love,
                Cind
                AF April 9, 2016

Comment

I am soooo sorry. We are not always responsible for how our kids grow up.

My husband has "gently" pointed out, though, that my alcoholicsm is TACIT approve for theirs.

sigh.

I wish I could change it!! Every day, every hour, every second.

Love,
                  Cindi
                  AF April 9, 2016

Comment

hi cind,

you have nothing to be sorry about. my mom was a full blown alcoholic and i soooo don't wan to go there. and i think that you are right you teach your children by modeling the behaviour you expect not the old "do as i say not as i do" thing. if they see you doing it they problably will too. i am so glad i hav efound this now early days. i have just finished reading the book and have ordered the cds. is anyone doing this without the topimax? i don't want to get hung up on another drug that I have to take my whole life. any comments or suggestions?

Comment

nevermind found the search and got a thread

Comment

Hmmm.

I cannot take the topamax. It does not agree with my system at all.

My skin breaks out in a rash, I completely lose my way and have no clue who I am or what I am supposed to be doing.

However, if you look at my "gold" stars, you will see I am making it.

(If I ramble today, it is because I have come down sick, nothing to do with drinking or topa.)

You can do this. There is Campral, which helps some. I do not find it helps with the craving but undertand it is simply trying to get my poor abused brain back to pre-abused status.

Keep on trying. Start with the supps (they do help, I am proof of that) and if you need more, then go see your doctor.

Cindi
                        AF April 9, 2016

Comment

You won't necessarly have to take a drug for the rest of your life. I took the campral for he first three months I was quitting and it worked great for me. I haven't had any for three months now and I don't think I need it any more. It was a big help to get AF and now it isn't necessary. I agree with Cindy, the sups make a world of difference and are a must take. Maybe not all of them, but the vitamins and the kudzu will make you feel better for sure. Any way, I understand not knowing if you want to quit because the new you will be a different person, but that different person is a much better person. I am now happy for he first time in years, and I realized I have so many things to be grateful for. You can do this and it is very much worth the effort. Never give up, and you will win.

God Bless
                          Bear
                          What St. Frances of Assisi said of himself is true for me.
                          ?If God can work through me He can work through anybody.?

Comment

hmmmm,

Glad that you are here. I am glad that you have read the book.....so much valuable information and hope for a future without drunkeness! You choose the program that works for you. I am a firm believer in the nutritin, exercise and definitely regularly posting. the most important part about posting, is honesty..speak YOUR Truth.
                            I also journal and meditate. I find this incredibly helpful.

Take it one day at a time......you can do this!
                            KateH
                            A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

Also, remember that the kids probably got the genetic makeup for an alcoholic so don't blame it all on yourself. I'm thinking about telling my kids about this in a few years, before they start drinking -- maybe it will scare them enough so they won't start. I sure wish I never started.
                              Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Working...
                              X