L-GLUT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

L-GLUT

Does anyone know how much is safe to take of L-glutamine? I am taking 5g (yes GRAMS, that's 5,000 mg, I believe) three times a day (in powder form) on an empty stomach and it doesn't seem to do anything for me. Can I take even more?
    Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

L-GLUT

DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION

L-glutamine is available in capsules, tablets and powder form. It is also available in medical foods for oral and enteral nutrition use and in a dipeptide form for parenteral nutrition use. (See Glutamine Peptides.) Typical doses for those with cancer, AIDS, trauma, burns, infections and other stress-related conditions range from 4 to 21 grams daily. Those who take L-glutamine for these indications must be under medical supervision.
    Those with chemotherapy- or radiation-induced stomatitis have taken doses of 2 to 4 grams twice daily or 2 grams four times daily. This was done by dissolving a given amount of L-glutamine in water or normal saline — one gram dissolves in 20.8 ml of water at 30 degrees Celsius — and using it as a swish and swallow. Again, this must be performed under medical supervision. Since L-glutamine is unstable in water, fresh solutions should be prepared daily.
    Those who use supplemental L-glutamine as a possible ergogenic aid use between 1.5 to 4.5 grams daily, taken between meals.
    It always seems impossible until it's done....

Comment

L-GLUT

heh? So I'm way overdosing then? (And no effect? WTF?)
      Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Comment

L-GLUT

hi beatle I was taking 2000mg to 3000mg a day when I first started trying to slow down drinking. nothing happened. It helped me cut down a bit. I was told that L-glutamine is not harmful in large doses, but they stated 2500mg as a high does
        You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

L-GLUT

Glutamine is a simple amino acid, and in fact one of the most abundant. You're probably getting a few grams a day just from your diet, maybe more if you eat a high-protein diet. I think it would be hard to OD on unless you're taking 10s of grams. I've got a bucket of the stuff that's marketed at weightlifters (it promotes anabolic metabolism, good for muscle-building) that recommends 5 g, once or twice a day.

Biologically, because it's a common amino acid, your body uses it as an overall indicator of your metabolic state. In particular, it suppresses insulin release. High insulin can cause carbohydrate cravings, and alcohol is a carbohydrate. So it won't do much for "head cravings" triggered by habits or associations, but it could help if you're having insulin-based carb cravings. I think it'll only stick around in your bloodstream for a couple of hours, so take it when you're struggling, or just prior to known difficult times.

peace,
          lilnev
          Q: How do I become the person I want to be?
          A: Practice, of course.

Comment

L-GLUT

Lilnev,

The L-Glut for carb cravings is good information for me!!

I am a gastric bypass patient who became an uncontrolled drinker after the surgery.

I do think carb cravings is part of my issue because I simply cannot eat carbs or sugar.

Thanks!!

Cindi
            AF April 9, 2016

Comment

L-GLUT

Lilnev,

Great explanation & info thank you!

Comment

L-GLUT

Well, I am taking 15g a day, so that sounds like too much, eh? (I got that dosage from the "Seven Weeks to Sobriety" book.) SO, should I cut down? It doesn't really seem to be helping anyway. Now I am very confused.

Comment

L-GLUT

I don't think 15 g/day will hurt you. If it doesn't seem to be helping, maybe your insulin levels regulate themselves well enough without it. Do you get carb cravings, for sugar or pasta or whatever?

shrug,
                  lilnev

Comment

L-GLUT

I don't get strong cravings for anything, really, but potato chips and junky food are more appealing to me than sweets.

I'm not sure what the l-glutamine is supposed to do besides curb cravings. I think it is also important for adjusting the brain chemicals to a life without alcohol, right?

Comment

L-GLUT

flip, linev , you guys are the oracles, where can I get the best value l glut with the mwo stuff at 2000mg a capsule at those doses it wont last long and the postage is expensive too
                      "From now on, walking is my beer and feeling good is my hangover" .....Homer Simpson

Comment

L-GLUT

Beatle, Lglutamine is used to curb alcohol and sugar cravings, and also for athletes to help them recover better from heavy workouts and increase endurance. That dose should be perfectly safe, but if you are not having cravings then I'd go down to a maintenance dose of say 2 or 3 grams twice per day. my two cents.
                        nosce te ipsum
                        (Know Thyself)

Comment

L-GLUT

I got mine from The Vitamine Shoppe here in Boston. $53 I think for 1000 g of loose powder (dissolve a scoop in water or juice). Mine is a sustained-release formulation:
                          Cheap Vitamins and Supplements | MHP - Glutamine-Sr? (Size: 1000 gram)

My guess is the powders marketed at body-builders will generally be priced lower per gram than capsules.

peace,
                          lilnev

Comment

L-GLUT

"Seven Weeks Sobriety" - I have that book. Read that at the same time I went to a day treatmenet program and AA meetings. Needless to say, did not work. I think MWO is going to be great. I have not really started the program just gearing up. Read the book, bought the hypno CDs, now getting the supplements. I think I am going to try and do the program without a prescription med and see how that works. Of course alternate idea would be just do the prescription med but definitely would have more risks. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

L-GLUT

Why didn't "Seven Weeks" work?

Comment

Working...
                              X