Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got a Treadmill Now!!

New toys for xtexan!!

I sort of went nuts yesterday at the local Sears store, and got a Horizon RCT 7.6. 20" by 55" belt, with 2.25 HP motor. Speeds 0-12 mph, in 0.1 mph increments, and 0 to 12 degree incline. Lots of programs, and a really cool console.

I was so excited, and unloaded it and got it into the house by myself, and assembled in about 30 minutes. Now my exercise room is crammed to the gills.

Exercise ergometer bike, weight bench w/lat tower and fly attachements, with full set of dumbells, barbells, curling bars. Punching bag. Rowing machine. Jump rope... and now a full size treadmill. I have to fold up the treadmill to use what little space left now, but I feel I have a complete home gym now.

Been wanting a real treadmill since last winter, and now that a new winter approaches, I will be ready for total indoor cross training.

All the money I've saved by not drinking or smoking for the last 22 months, and easily justified. I think a years worth of cigarettes now, at a pack a day, would be more than I paid for the treadmill!

Hot diggety dog!!

Neil

Got a Treadmill Now!!

I.... so.... could use a treadmill these days. :upset:

I AM GETTING FLUFFY!!!! Can't stop shoveling in the food. Can't get motivated. If only I could hire a personal trainer or have a home gym! :H

Congrats on your new purchase Neil!

Comment

Got a Treadmill Now!!

Yeah! Way to go Neil!
      I joined a fitness-wellness center a couple of weeks ago myself!!

I loveeeee the treadmill and bike!

Happy sweating!!!!

Nancy "Belle"
      "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

Got a Treadmill Now!!

Oh, and I absolutely LOVE the pic of your pup! So sweet looking!

Comment

Got a Treadmill Now!!

Oh, yes, Petey thanks you. I had a new little digital camera, and caught him at a "hammy dog" moment. I figured Petey deserved a little avatar time now, and let poor Katie come down off that fence and rest!

Neil

Comment

Got a Treadmill Now!!

Xtexan
            Your lungs and liver will thank you for the new equipment! Now git on there & use it!

Comment

Got a Treadmill Now!!

Hi Neil........am pleased that you`re pleased with your new purchase.
              MY problem is that I`ve been saying that I`ll book an induction at the gym and........so far it hasn`t "happened" lol

What I REALLY want is to work out at home and unfortunately I don`t have a lot of excess room to house exercise equipment. Am looking for a single machine that works you out from top to toe.........any ideas???

Starlight Impress x

P.S.
              Petey`s expression says I`m crazy.........he may well be right!!! lol

Comment

Got a Treadmill Now!!

What about one of these "cross trainer" type thingies - Like cross country skiing (feet pedal while hands Caa' the haunels)

I have one for the long winter nights when I cant exercise outside.

Low inpact and work your bod pretty hard if you put the resistance up high.

Don't take up much room either!

Love

Satori

XXX Attached files [img]/converted_files/344666=2068-attachment.jpg[/img]
                "Though there are many paths at the foot of the mountain - all those who reach the top see the same moon - as any fule kno"

Comment

Got a Treadmill Now!!

Aye thanks satori.......been looking at eliptical trainers, but don`t know if they do anything for the upper body or the belly/butt lol

Have full set of wee ladies weights though and sit up bar. You think an eliptical trainer, weights and sit ups is equivalent to full body work-out???..........I ain`t got a clue!!! lol

Starlight Impress x

Comment

Got a Treadmill Now!!

Sorry - was pretending to work there for a while!

The elipticals CAN work your upper body pretty hard - if you put the resistance levels up high.

Actually cross country skiers are supposed to be THE fittest athletes there are - such are the demands of the sport.

The mistake I see most in the gym is all these ladies going really fast on ellipticals - on minimum resistance.

Looks good - but is not doing much for their fitness at all - easy to cheat.

The secret is to eventually get to the stage that you HAVE to use your arms to assist you ie when the settings make it too hard just to pedal - and you have to pull with your arms too.
                    THAT is when you are really getting an effective workout - that is where these things can REALLY get you fit.
                    I can burn over 1000 calories in a 30 minute session on one of these - damn near kills me - but it only takes 3500 calories burned to lose one pound of fat - so they can be effective weight reducing / fit-getting aids.

As with everything - you have to work up gradually to that stage.
                    Work up through the resistance levels until you are fit enough to cope - otherwise you will wear yourself out in about 2 minutes, get fed up and will stop using it.

So - eventually the answer - YES - an elliptical trainer and some weights should be enough to get you pretty damn fit - but it is just like quitting alcohol or cigs - you HAVE to put the effort in and it Has to be a bit uncomfortable to be effective. Just pedalling away with no effort will burn some calories - but will do little for aerobic fitness.

As for reducung Bum and tum - you can't spot reduce anywhere on your body - you just have to lose fat overall - the trainer will burn calories pretty effectively AND will help tone the muscles etc.

So - personally - if you are prepared to put the effort in - GO for it!

Love

satori

xxx
                    "Though there are many paths at the foot of the mountain - all those who reach the top see the same moon - as any fule kno"

Comment

Got a Treadmill Now!!

Sorry Xtex,

Didn't mean to hijack your thread!

Cool - treadmills are excellent for those dark winter nights - and we get plenty of THOSE in Scotland!

Actually - although I DO have an elliptical trainer , weights, jump rope, gym ball, balance board, leg stretcher (for martial arts!) etc at home, I only live about a five minute drive from my local gym so I am spoiled for choice - I can use all the equipment there - it even has a climbing gym
                      OR - I can hop on my elliptical and watch TV / Listen to music at home - best of both worlds!

Exercise is great! Makes my day when I can get those endorphins flowing!

Take care

satori
                      xxx

Comment

Got a Treadmill Now!!

Right!!!!.......weight loss has been fab but has now hit a plateau, despite the fact that I currently have a very healthy low-cal diet, so.........guess I gotta move my big butt and stop being a lazy moo!! lol

Comment

Got a Treadmill Now!!

You have done something good for yourself and for your health. I say three cheers to you. hip hip hurray X 3.
                          Sunny Out Looks are Contagious!

Comment

Got a Treadmill Now!!

How about a rowing machine? Here they are great for total body fitness and store easily.

Comment

Got a Treadmill Now!!

Rowing machines are the one piece of kit that frighten Satori!

It could be just that one of my gym buddies is an ex university rower!

He seems to just cruise along - but the damn things almost kill me if I try to keep up (Not that I'm competitive or anything LOL)!

Mind you - I can run and he can't - so I suppose we all have our strengths and weaknesses!

Satori

xxx

Comment

Working...
                              X