Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies in need ODAT - Monday

Good afternoon everyone.

Its a real autumn day here with the leaves blowing in the wind. Had a nice walk this morning and met somebody new who has moved into the neighbourhood. She joined us on our walk and we had coffee afterwards. It's hard to get to know people when you dont have kids. She just happened to meet my friend when she was out looking for her cat and she invited her to join us.

Wasnt able to bring my doggies, the goldie hurt her leg playing football at the week-end. She went up in the air for the ball and came down funny on it. She seemed ok today but I did not want to chance bringing her out. I'm just hoping she did not do anything to her hip as thats a problem area in goldies. The Jack Russell was also left at home as it would have upset her to see him coming. He is not impressed!!!

Hope everyone had a good week-end. Want, we are all thinking of you and have been in the same place but you can get through today ODAT just like the rest of us. We are all in this together.

Rustop

Here it's a lovely fall morning, and I'm about to head out for a walk myself. We're new in the neighborhood, and it IS hard to meet people. Maybe I need a dog!

I made it through my first AF weekend in a long time with just a few twinges, and after today it will be a week. It's funny, but that thought makes me feel kind of anxious. I think that's the addiction talking, though. I need to readjust my self image, to see myself as someone who can be successful at this, who is comfortable as a non-drinker.

Good Luck to you all.

Luna

Comment

Hi Rustop: I had a wonderful weekend...busy but fun. It's so great to be abs. I feel I can really enjoy life. At this point, I can't imagine drinking again. I'm on day 10 today & have a full day of babysitting to do. I'll bring our dog w/me (mini-poodle) who loves the kids & is still a bit of a puppy (1 year). He'll run after the boys all day then flop down dead tired later on. Have a great day. Love, Mary
      Wisdom, Courage, Strength
      October 3, 2012

Comment

Hi Lunapro: As we get farther into the abs lifestyle, I think we'll more & more comfortable. It takes time for old patterns to be readjusted. I'm feeling better & better about not drinking. It is definitely not the romantic fantasy it used to be. Mary
        Wisdom, Courage, Strength
        October 3, 2012

Comment

Good morning everyone, It's a beautiful day in florida also, and a good day to go AF. Don't even want to talk about the weekend, going to shoot for all week and not look back.

Comment

hello some of you may have seen my earlier thread - its been one hell of a roller coaster day. however ive decided its time to get positive and get into action. anyway ive rambled on enough today about me, me me! good luck to everyone here and those to come. WE CAN BEAT THIS!!!!!!!!!! anyway enough of my rambling......

Comment

Hi all. I'd figure it's time to move in with you folks rather than maintaining my own thread. Day 5 and I'm doing well; there's just a period of time in the evenings when I need to have an alternative, something to keep me busy. Cooked a great big pot of soup last night -- ground lamb, wild rice, broccoli, carrots, onion, bell peppers, with a little hummus and parmesian to thicken the broth and whatever looked good out of the spice drawer.

Congrats to all who made it through the weekend, hugs of support to any who stumbled. Shellbee, hang in there. My personal hangover cure: Gatorade (water, sugar, potassium), a hot shower and really scrub at the skin, ibuprofen, and back to bed. Later in the day, spend some time outdoors just walking. Find your strength; it's in there, plenty of it.

peace to all,
              lilnev
              Q: How do I become the person I want to be?
              A: Practice, of course.

Comment

Hi everyone - late posting again - haven't been able to get on the computer much - my two teenagers have been home for the weekend and I'm afraid I have to wait patiently until its my turn!!!

Want, I was sorry about your slip - but learn from it and move on.....you are forgetting how well you have done already....you haven't lost that....come on, its Monday - a good day for getting started again!!!

Day 15 and feel okay. Looking forward to half term. Saturday we're off to Rowardennan on Loch Lomond with my husband, mum-in-law and auntie. Really looking forward to it - as we didn't have a holiday.

That old familiar cycle is well on its way again with mam - things are not looking good and I know I'm being selfish here but I'm keeping my fingers crossed, things don't blow up in the middle of our holidays - they usually do and I've lost count the number of times we've had to come back early. I always say she's like a cat with 9 lives but she can't have many left. She has abused her body so much over the last 10 years. She has liver and kidney damage and dementia. Apparently she drank two beers yesterday morning then sent my brother for more on the afternoon......she's 79. She's had bad sickness and diarrhoea for the last couple of days - another sign - and her short term memory has deteriorated rapidly over the last year.

When mam had her last 'life' at the beginning of May, it coincided with me finding this site and getting 42 AF days. I just see mam and what she's done to herself, my dad and my family and that is enough motivation for me. It should be. I certainly don't want to put my family through the torture and hell that we have all had these last 10 years.

So day 15 and no real bad cravings - I think I just want this so much this time and couldn't get started up until 1st October. I want to be able to get to 30 like last time but I think thats where I went wrong....I didn't plan beyond that....this time, it will be like Mary & Star.....the next 30...and the next 30... I've accepted its got to be longterm this time.

Its no coincedence that I have been able to deal with the loss of dad that bit better these last two weeks.....I can remember happy positive times instead of wallowing in those dark moments at the end of his life.

My sobriety is for myself but its also for you Dad, and everything you went through, physically and emotionally, with mam's drinking over the years. I know you're getting me through this.

Janicexxx
                AF since 9 May 2012
                Quit trying to control something that is uncontrollable (Bear February 08)

Comment

Hi everyone, I posted on yesterdays thread last night with a big thankyou for thinking about me yesterday, hope everyone has had a good weekend. I am still af 7 days out of 8 af but we all know the real consequence of just that one day I wasnt. Keep strong everyone. Janice I do so hope you have a good holiday, you know I am here ad I know what you are going through with memories of your dad, I am glad that the happy ones are coming through. I spent so many years reliving the last 6 months of my dads life, the pain and being there when he died, but eventually the good memories take over and we start to heal a little. Keep strong and focused for your own peace of mind love to you all GGXXX

Comment

It seems very quite on here hope everyone is doing ok GGxx

Comment

It seems very quiet on here hope everyone is doing ok GGxx

Comment

hi

hi gg how're you getting on today?

Janice it's such a worry for you with your dear mam bless her; i hope the break goes well and that you get out of it what you deserve and so obviously need, some you time and more than a little peace xxx

B

Comment

Well, I like this ODAT post. Yesterday I promised myself I would go AF and did all day. Today on the way home I got some wine and am having a glass. Doesn't taste all that good though. I am wondering if I should taper off or go AF. You see, last week my dad, who lives alone and will be 80 in the next few weeks, lit up a cigarette while on oxygen. He ignited like a torch (flash fire) and burned his face, inside his nose, mouth and throat and was flown to Washington Hospital Center in DC and up until last night was in ICU. I am not sure if anyone has seen a burn victim but it is not pretty. I did good all day yesterday though after seeing him Saturday night.

Then yesterday we found out that my hubby's cousin died (she lived next door) and all the kin pounced on us. Doing good all day, and having to get up a 4 a.m. for my long commute into DC I drank my Extra Sleepy time tea (my first day on Top as well) and fell asleep for about 10 mins. Then with all the people coming and going, my Maltese (with his Malta Palace Guard Dog Genes) barked and protected me all night long. I never went to sleep. I did go to work though. The company/family left at 3:00 am so I just stayed up. Now I am tired. I am weak.

But that is ok. ODAT. Tomorrow will be better. I am not guzzling my wine like I used to. I am nursing it and thinking of getting into my PJs and fixing a quick dinner and calling it a night. Thank God for a place like this that I can come and confess and not feel guilty for messing up on my second day......

You guys are great! I hope everyone else is having a great day, and if not, hey, ODAT!!!
                          :new:

Comment

so sorry

I'm very sorry to hear that your dad burned his face, you must have had such a weekend of it, I can't imagine how you got through all that... :l

He can't help it, he's doing ODAT too :-(

You must be so very tired, bless your Maltese, and you managed to go to work!

Thinking of you, and hoping you will have a lovely restful sleep

xxxx

B

Comment

Phoenix, thank you so much! What you said - he is doing WDAT as well, that is so true. Thanks!
                              :new:

Comment

Working...
                              X