A million little Pieces by James Frey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A friend told me about this book a while ago on another forum and in doing so a rather heated debate ensued over the accuracies of his story and the so-called fabricated lies. I only started reading it last night so I will wait to bear judgment on it myself but I cannot help think which areas are fabricated and which are not. It at times then gets quite difficult to read without having that thought in the back of my head. I guess at the end of the day the author is only trying to get across his story and I think the 'Hollywood makeover' style of the book is only to heighten the real truth about drug and alcohol addiction and the recovery from it. I Still find the style of writing a bit annoying and repetitive at times which is unusual for me as I love Irvin Welsh's style.

Still early days I suppose and I have 'A Million Little Lies' by James Pinocchio to read after it which is obviously a piss-take of the book! Looking forward to that!

Love and Happiness
    Hippie37 xx
    "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
    Clean and sober 25th January 2009

I was given this book as a gift from my mother (go figure -- she abuses alcohol too) a couple of years ago when it was hot off the press. I read it, cried through it, etc....

A lot of it was 'exaggerated' for sure - and they were apparent when reading it. When he was exposed on Oprah for his fabrications I didn't really care. It was a good read nonetheless.

As anything in life, just take what you need, relate to those things you can relate to, and enjoy the rest for entertainment.

Comment

I posted this on another thread but I truly love Michael J Fox's book Lucky Man.

While the book does not completely surround itself around his alcoholism, part of his growth and learning was beating his alcoholism.

For those who don't know, can't imagine who, he sufferes from Parkinson's Disease. He was also an alcholic.

Yet, after all is said and done, sober, and still suffering from Parkinson's because it is not curable, he considers himself a "Lucky Man." Wow.

It is a great read.

Cindi
      AF April 9, 2016

Comment

I had NO idea he was an alcoholic. WOW - he has great strength.... seeing he has a disabling disease and kicked the booze to the curb. I must read his book. Thanks Cindi!

Comment

I tend to steer clear of the 'celebrity recovery' books for some strange reason. Not that their stories deserve any less merit, I just tend to like reading about 'the guy in the street' more.

Pavement for my Pillow by Chris Kitch being a prime example.

Love and Happiness
          Hippie37 xx
          "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran

Comment

I agree with what you are saying Hippie37... although for some reason a lot of us tend to want to know about these celebrities and their problems. I guess it is because we need to know that although someone who is famous and rich they can't buy themselves out of being human.

I am definitely going to check into the book you suggested for sure! It sounds like a good read as well.

One thing I love about being sober is having the option of reading again. Haven't done it in years and I can't seem to get enough of it lately.

Comment

Hippie,

Then give Lucky Man a chance. It is not written by a celeb looking for accolades or forgiveness.

I read everything I can get my hands on, btw.

You will be pleasantly surprised.

Cindi
              AF April 9, 2016

Comment

I had no idea about Michael J. Fox either! Wow! Anthony Hopkins has been sober a long time and talks about it. And in my days in A.A in New York, I had lots of "sightings", but I guess I'm not supposed to say unless they reveal it themselves. I did hear both Clapton and Alec Baldwin "tell their stories" and they're "out" so I can mention it. Also saw Stevie Ray Vaughan in an A.A. meeting (with his whole road crew) a month before he died in the helicopter crash. Don't mean to sound name-droppy, but I too, appreciate knowing that the rich and fabulous struggle right along with us. And love to hear when they are successful in their battles with alcohol. No amount of money can keep you sober. And it must be awful when your alcohol-related embarassments are all over the media. Thank God the National Enquirer has no interest in my DUI's.

Comment

wonderworld;209980 wrote: Thank God the National Enquirer has no interest in my DUI's.
                  :H

Oh, my.... me too!

Comment

Wonder and AFM,

I am so glad you talked about not having to be in the limelight with our "problem."

I have always felt sorry for celebs with this issue because even us drunks on MWO berate them. I hate it!!!!

We are all in the same boat, train, wagon, plane.

It does not matter how much money we make or how little, it will not "fix it."

One day, with some serious luck and hard work, we will figure it out and confront it. I have seen amazing stories of those who have overcome it and I have seen sad stories of those who have died without ever having been able to get their lives back.

It is not a socio-economic class problem, or an intelligence problem, a religious problem. or a race problem, it is simply a human problem. We are all in this together.

Cindi
                    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

so beautifully said Cindi!!!

Comment

Thank You, WonderWorld.

So many people just do not undersand.

Okay, if we are starving and fighting for out every seond of survival. Maybe,

How few of us are doing that?

Thank you again,
                        Cindi
                        AF April 9, 2016

Comment

understand.

I hate typos.

lol
                          Cindi
                          AF April 9, 2016

Comment

yeah, but "undersand' fits sometimes too! sounds familiar! LOL!
                            I just posted you on another thread.
                            We're on fire today sister!!!

p.s. I LOVE LOVE LOVE your shiny gold stars!!!

Comment

I totally agree with you Cindi!
                              It is not a socio-economic class problem, or an intelligence problem, a religious problem. or a race problem, it is simply a human problem. We are all in this together.
                              If anything I think being in the public eye makes it that much harder to deal with an addiction be it alcohol, drugs, gambling or even sex (Micheal Douglas). You not only have your addiction to beet but the media hype that comes with it as well.

I've never been interested in the celebrity hype of Hollywood etc anyway. I know I'm generalising when I say this but I think they should Burn Hollywood to the ground!!!!lol I hate everything it stands for !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X