Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moderation and Campral....

Hi,

The topa did not work for me as it made me too dopey and I still drank too much on it, so I started on Campral. I have been 7 days w/o alcohol (a new record for me except for pregnancies!), BUT I would dearly love to moderate. I have heard that if you drink on Campral you ruin the results? Is this true? AND is it possible to quit Campral for a day, drink in moderation (say a special event) and then restart the next day? Again, I would have hoped that the Topa would have worked, but frankly the Campral has exceeded my expectations. The "desire" is purely psychological, but I would like to enjoy a glass of wine now and then and still not go over-board.

Thanks for any help!
    Kate

Thanks...question

Thanks for your response. That's pretty much what I thought, but was wondering if it would still be effective. The reason I say this is the Campral website says to continue taking the medication even after a "slip" which would imply it's still effective. Again, my goal was originally moderationg but I like the fact that Campral has taken the "want" down a notch.

May I ask where you heard it "negates" the effect? Was this your experience?

Thanks for the info!

K.

Comment

Re: Thanks...question

Kate, are you still taking Campral?

Barb

Comment

Re: Thanks...question

Thanks, Kate - I haven't really "chosen a path yet". I am going on vacation next week and am putting off making a decision until I get back. My goal is moderation, but I know I should put in the 30 days of abs. I'm leery of topa, so I am going to try to do it without meds. If it fails, I may go for Campral and go for a long period of abs.

Decisions, decisions :eek

Barb

Comment

To Kate -who started this Post

Kate,

A little confusing with the two Kates -- yes? My thought, as a complete unprofessional (medical, addiction,etc) is that, at this point in your journey and in the state of the medical/pharmaceutical solutions, I think you should try it (drinking some on it) and see how it affects YOU.

I am really allergic to the topa, so one thing I have learned here in this program is that we need to be flexible and need to find "our" own way out. Everyone is unique. And these meds affect everyone differently.

Some day it will be simple & straightforward like it has been for katesm ( I am glad for you). But to date it is not.

Just my thoughts.

Comment

Re: To Kate -who started this Post

I am glad to hear of the few to no side effects of Campral & very interested in trying it myself. Please continue posting ...

Comment

Thank you for that post, KateM.
              Extremely open and honest and informative. You are amazing, and I am in awe of what you have accomplished with overcoming your drinking prob.
              I know it's probably still some maintenance, still some effort, as all of us here (or we wouldn't be making our fingers callused--or voices hoarse--day after day ).
              You are truly and inspiration, though! Great advice for those just beginning to find "their way", and even for the stubborn old goats who just keep plugging along... (ME)!!, and learning more every day. It ALL helps.
              Thank you.:d
              Becca

Comment

Kate,

I agree. I defer completely to you, someone who has been there and done that. It really is best to deal with these strong drugs as prescribed. I was wrong. I think I was just negative about the drugs since topa did not work for me.

Thank you very much for sharing your story. May I ask how much you were drinking before you got the campral and went abs? Chrysa

Comment

I've said it before, and I'll say it again...
                  I'M SO GLAD YOU ARE HERE, KATE!
                  Heck, I'm glad we are all here, trying to better ourselves, better our families and our lives. EXTEND our lives, for pete's sake.

Geez, doesn't it make you wonder sometimes? How many more of us are out there? How many drunken housewives? (Where the hell is Tammie???? TAMMIE?? I miss you!! I say that with love, you KNOW that!!). How many high functioning health care professionals, office workers, factory workers toiling away...all downing these copious amounts of booze. Do their coworkers know? Did mine?

Then I think, "if these people went to AA or outpt, I bet people WOULD find out and it would be so out there in public"

Thank goodness (RJ et al!) for this program.
                  And thanks to all of you again.

Awesome job again, Kate. And Chrysa.
                  Becca

Comment

Oh Kate.
                    Oh Becca.

Comment

Working...
                    X