Not the right time to quit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep, starting to think this is not the right time to quit. Since my dad's accidental fire with catching himself on fire while lighting up a cig while on oxygen...well.....it has all gone downhill. maybe I should try later....
    :new:

Hey Redgal - are you OK? Just wanted to say hello ASAP anyways.

That sounds not nice about your Dad.

How's it gone downhill? Don't go too low will you? It's just not worth it; it doesn't help. It really doesn't.

Love
    FMF xx
    :heart: c: :heart:
    "Be patient and gentle with yourself - the magic is in you."

Comment

Redgal, how is your dad? You have to be able to keep yourself together to be there for him and like FMF said, it does not help, it makes matters worse. I hope you will both be okay! :h Suz
      The more we appreciate life, the more life appreciates and bestows us with more goodness.

Comment

Yeah, it will only get better if you keep drinking....

come on, get with it. That's the Beast talking and you know it. Use your dad's accident as an incentive to beat this thing. You can do it, just put your mind to it and take it one day at a time. I will not drink today. Just today.

Come on here and post if you feel yourself getting weak. Someone will help you get through it. That's why we're here...

Don

Comment

there NEVER is a good time

If there was a good time all of us would have been sober years ago. One thing that struck me about you post....was that every time I had to take my kids to the ER...was during a sober period. I could not have foreseen it....all I know is that I was silently...but shouting to God...Thank God I am sober tonight! There is no good time...no time that will make it all easy. But there are those times when we got sober at the "wrong" time that we realize that it was just the right time...whether we realized it or not from the start. Even though you can not see the fruits of your labor immediately....you will appreciate them at some point. And it is in that moment...that you are grateful for the work you did to get there.

PS I would guess that you expected this sort of replies....because there is no time the clouds will part, the sun will shine down and go "this time is all for you to just get sober"....I was always waiting for that...never happened...and I doubt it ever will.

Comment

Yep - totally agree with Chief and Karma. There is NO time like the present. Find the strength within you and take that leap of faith.

We often use every reason under the sun as a reason to drink. Your dad needs you, and he needs you to be sober.

Karma: I had to take my own daughter to the ER twice when I was a hard core drinker. I, too THANKED GOD I did not drink that day. I look back and cringe. Just cringe.

Comment

Am really glad to see these posts. Not now, but soon, I'll need someone to say

"come on, get with it."

Comment

Redgal, I feel for you. This is a misfortune for your father. I hope you can get strength within you to move forward in what you want for your life. You can be there for your father. But, please remember yourself. Be there for you! Do not drink because of his problems of yours for that matter. Be STRONG with-in yourself. You can get through this, you will be a much stronger person.
                Blessings,
                Angel

Comment

Redgal,
                  Am sorry you`ve had such a fright with what happened to your father.
                  I very much do believe that there is such a thing as a "right time" for each of us to quit drinking. However, none of us have any way of predicting when that time will be........even if we goal ourselves to start on a certain date, day of week etc..........that doesn`t mean to say we will actually manage to quit on that particular attempt.

I think when we reach the stage of knowing we really do want to quit, we have to actively pursue AF from that day forward. Just keep "chipping away at the old block" as they say........if you keep putting it off, chances are it`s never going to happen. A catalogue of mod or AF days, even if only achieved in a day here and there is the beginnings of quitting for real.

I came up with all the excuses under the sun to delay quitting for real. Also, once you do quit, you`ll still find problems and upsets in life........we all have them.........the trick is, not to allow those problems and upsets to lead us back to the booze...........you`ll find booze is very obliging and constantly waiting in the wings to suck you in all over again.

Our alcoholism developed as a progressive disease.........our recovery is also progressive..........every little step forward helps. My advice to you would be to make a start today.

Love and strength to you,

Starlight Impress x

Comment

WOW OH WOW OH WOW! Everything EVERYONE said is EXACTLY what I needed to hear. Thank you all so so very much! First of all, my dad is doing better. He will be 80 in a few weeks, not in the best of health, and as a Christian I know that someday in the near future I will have to let him go to a better place. Second, you are all so right - I do tend to make excuses for putting off everything, diets on Monday, AF tomorrow. I guess I am a kind of 'excusey' girl. But everything that you all have said has given me the strength to start anew.

It is not just my dad being in the hospital, I have sisters and children I am fighting with, co-workers driving me crazy, mother in law issues, well.....the list could go on and on if I let it, and so could the excuses. NO MORE EXCUSES! Today I am going to take it one day at a time. Today I will be strong and if I fear that I need to drink I will run to this board instead of the bottle!

Again, thank you all so much. It is amazing how many people care, people you don't know, people that don't know you, but people that you share something in common with. I hope everyone has a wonderful and free day!!!!!

Redgal
                    :thanks:
                    :new:

Comment

Hey redgal,

No such thing as a good time to give up drinking, so may as well take the plunge. Lots of things happen in life that seem unbearable at the time, and make you feel like drinking - but drinking has never helped me through any of those times - it made it worse for me and for those around me. Good to hear you are giving it a go, no matter what's happening.

It's like giving up smoking - the list of excuses is endless (i've been an 'excuse' person most of my life too!) but there is never a good time, there's only now. And if at first you don't succeed...give it another go, and another and another.

Good luck and take care. Glad your Dad's doing OK.

Cashy
                      xxx
                      "Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans" - John Lennon

Comment

Working...
                      X