Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I Drinking Too Much?

Yikes

Did a google search and found this website. I'm never sick but today I have given myself permission to stay home given my aching body and running nose. Yet, it is only noon and I am drinking wine- absolutely convinced that it helps me from not coughing.

It is raining outside, the leaves are falling and it is so warm and cozy inside with the fireplace going. I've turned my cell phones off and I am unavailable. But I am also getting drunk all by myself and feeling quite justified.

In the past two years I have left my husband of twenty four years (who will not sign divorce papers);sold the house and moved umpteen times; met a man who I absolutely adore and feel respected (but he takes care of his wife in an extended care home; she has MS), my eldest son got married last month and I'm going to University partime. Did I tell you I'm in a high stress job responsible for 50 people?'

We have always enjoyed our debriefing after work. I would share about my day with a glass of wine and he would crack a Budweiser. Why is it now becoming a problem? He can shut it off but I can't.

I'm sooooooo tired and I believe the wine helps but I'm fooling myself. I need to have someone kick me in the butt

Firecracker
    :new:

Am I Drinking Too Much?

Hi Firecracker and welcome.
    Well, it`s said if you have to ask that question, then the answer is most probably that yes you are drinking too much.

Like yourself, I was in the habit of drinking home alone every night.........another surefire sign that my drinking was out of control........there was nothing vaguely social about it........was drinking purely for the sake of drinking.

Didn`t think I had it in me to quit, but have done, thanks to M.W.O. If you really want to get a grip of drinking, this site is the best tool you could ever use.

Love and strength to you,

Starlight Impress x

Comment

Am I Drinking Too Much?

Welcome Fire. We have such a funny way of glamorizing the drinking, don't we? I find it very cozy and peaceful to have it be a rainy day and have a glass of wine too. Problem is, it is never one. Star is right. If you are asking yourself if you have a problem, then the answer is most likely yes. None of us would be here if the answer was a definite no.

I hope you will stick around!!! :welcome:
      I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Am I Drinking Too Much?

Star took the words right out of my mouth!

You already know the answer to your question. Take action now, and rebuild your life. There are a lot of success stories on this site, spend your day reading.
        It always seems impossible until it's done....

Comment

Am I Drinking Too Much?

Hello Firecracker and welcome,

I used to ask myself that question several times over the last few years and I always answered, no, of course I'm not drinking too much, I can stop whenever I want to, but I couldn't.. When I realised this it pushed me further into that drinking cycle and it really was out of control, until I found MWO and all the wonderful people here who offer unconditional support.. I have now been AF for just over one year, so it is achievable..

Good luck,
          Louise x
          A F F L..
          Alcohol Free For Life

Comment

Am I Drinking Too Much?

I'm scared. It is now 930 at night and I'm alone again in front of the computer yet I have lots to do. No white wine left so I'm drinking red. Why is it when I feel so crappy I figure that wine will make it all better?

Hubbie is playing darts tonight. He is concerned but also doesn't pressure but I know he talks to my folks about it. Oddly enough, we were out last weekend and I drank everything but wine and was fine. Don't consume nearly as much and certainly don't get drunk. If we are in a bar or restaurant I won't order wine because it costs so damn much (go figure) but a glass of beer will last all night.

Thanks for the heads up. I guess I already know that I have a problem (which I have hidden forever). I needed confirmation and that is why I am here. The biggest slap of reality is when I read my bank statements and see how much I am spending at the liquor store. Most folks just think I'm a blast to be with but pass out early.

I'm still sooooo tired. Yes, it is still raining and the fireplace is on but I have no energy to do the things I want to do.

Please keep talking to me...I need the help. I'm a firecracker all day at work but burn out as soon as I get home. It's not fair to hubbie or my friends and family (and me)

I appreciate your responses. I don't have to check myself into a detox or anything do I? I don't think I'm a candidate for AA. Not sure what I need to do and that is why I am here...

Firecracker

Comment

Am I Drinking Too Much?

Hi Firecracker, glad you're still with us. (just as an aside, if you need help or need to talk to someone try posting in the ASAP thread for a quicker response)

Congratulations on the first step towards a better (MUCH better) life!!! I was similar to you - run on the smell of an oily rag all day, getting thins done and come home and crash - usually with a bottle of red under my belt.

Sounds like you are suffering from depression - it may be from the drinking or why you drink - whatever it is, it is imperative that you do something to break the dycle. First thing to do is download the book from this site (it costs a few $$, but well worth the effort) and read everything you can on here. You will find so many different stories and solutions, one of them will fit you.

Personally I went to the Dr and went on a drug called Campral which gets rid of the urge (craving) to drink (this is the addiction part of alcohol). Then I went to a counsellor to deal with the reasons WHY I drank.

This place has been invaluable in terms of support, both intellectual and emotional. I've been sober for nearly 11 months now, so I know it can be done.

And we are not here to sell anything - we are all just "normal drunks" trying to get sober and get our lives together. It's just easier with someone else to talk to.

Post as often as you need, ask any question. And above all, enjoy - most of us have a great sense of humor!

Comment

Am I Drinking Too Much?

You want a kick in the butt? Ive got a new pair of steel capped boots for whenever you are ready! welcome aboard!
                "From now on, walking is my beer and feeling good is my hangover" .....Homer Simpson

Comment

Am I Drinking Too Much?

you have such a way with words Max! lol

Comment

Am I Drinking Too Much?

Hi Firecracker......

You could try asking yourself, deeply, whether drinking alcohol has ever made anything in your life better? I mean, really better? Does it help longterm??Sometimes we need a major reality check....to give us a kick in the butt!

Consider your butt kicked!

By the time difference I think you're probably asleep now....but when you wake up....take the new day and start making good changes for yourself! Come here lots....you'll find help and support, no judgement - just other people like you trying to make their lives better. :h

Suze x
                    Just hand me the chocolate and.........I'll consider my position. My solicitor has advised me to say no more than that.

Comment

Working...
                    X