Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

decision time

Hiya all,
    I've been reading threads here for about 5 days now and find them very helpful. It's good to know i'm not alone in the world...although sometimes it feels like that.
    I'm a single mother of a 11 year old wonderful son, who stays with his dad half the time so i do spend a lot of time on my own. I also work nights which cuts my social life pretty much down to zero, only get to go out about once in 3 months or so.. And that is why i think i have a problem with drinking. I'm masking the loneliness, but obviously it's gone out of control now.
    And so after finding this site, i have now decided on a date that i will take the plunge and try to make it through 30 days without alcohol. One day at a time though, i do realize that. I'm going to set the date on 1st of November next week. That gives me time to go and shop for all the necessary supplements. I will order the cd's too, and hopefully they won't take too long to arrive. I will leave Topa for the time being, but if i struggle too bad i will consider that too.
    I hope i'll get lots of support from you guys as i'm sure i'll be sitting here on my evenings off..
    Thank you all for being here, it gives me a lot more courage to get on with it.
    One more thing.. Does anyone ever go to the chat rooms? If you do, which ones and what time? I would love to have live chats with people.
    Finski xx
    :l

decision time

Hi Finski, i am new here too, Well done for setting your date as you say it gives you time to sort out what you need, sorry i cant be of more help but im only on my first day so not really qualified to give advice but i expect someone will be on shortly, good luck.

Em.
    Don't put off til tomorrow what you can do today, if you do it today and like it, you can do it again tomorrow!

xEmx

Comment

decision time

Hi Finski-

I can sure relate to drinking to fill in the lonely feelings. And you said it - you are not alone! So glad you found this site. I've only been here a short while and it has been so incredibly helpful.

Sounds like you're doing a great job of getting ready. It's SOOOOO worth it to get some AF time and clear your head. You can do it!!!

Look forward to seeing more of you-

wonder xox

Comment

decision time

Hi finski........well done for setting yourself a quit date and getting yourself armed with some tools beforehand. You really will get loads of support here to help you quit, just as I did.
        I think a great many of us used drink as a form of escape when home alone with kids. And it doesn`t help matters any if a baby sitter is hard to come by.........that`s when the drinking home alone all kicks off.........within no time at all it can become a nightly ritual, as it was in my case.
        You`ll generally find some of us in one of the chat rooms at any time........being scattered across the globe means there`s usually someone or other around.
        Some of us are still using Old Chat, but many are already using New Chat.........you can pop into either........Old Chat will be taken off soon anyway.

Love and strength to you,

Starlight Impress x

Comment

decision time

Hi finski! I only joined this forum a week ago myself and chucked myself in at the deep end!!

I've made so many new friends on here that have given me encouragement and support, especially yesterday when I was feeling a bit lonely myself!!!.(see 'battling the demons' thread and you will see what I mean).

There are many ways and paths to keeping sober and although peoples methods may be different we all, at the end of the day, want an AF life. I wish you well

Love and Happiness
          Hippie
          xx
          "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
          Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

decision time

xEmx;212565 wrote: Hi Finski, i am new here too, Well done for setting your date as you say it gives you time to sort out what you need, sorry i cant be of more help but im only on my first day so not really qualified to give advice but i expect someone will be on shortly, good luck.

Em.
            Hi Em!! It doesn't matter whether we are 1 day sober or 30 years sober in my eyes, we all have a common purpose and your thoughts and ideas are no less valid or of less importance than the person who has been sober longer than you. There is no hierarchy with alcoholism.

Welcome to the forum as well and keep posting and let us know a bit about yourself (when you are ready of course!)

Love and Happiness
            Hippie
            xx
            "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
            Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

decision time

Finski, if you start with the supps right away, it will help you feel better when the "big day" comes. So go for it now already. I tell you this from my own experience. Good luck and keep coming here.
              Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

decision time

Hey Finski-

Don't know where in the world you are, but I am in Florida, USA. I find chat an amazing tool when i am craving a drink, and for me, anytime around 4 or 5pm I could usually use someone to talk to (if I am not crazed with work or kids). Let me know if you want to chat, and if I can I will look for you! Feel free to pm me if there is a time that you know is good for you, and if it works for me, I will try to find you! And welcome!! This is a great place. I am no longer a single mom, but I was awhile back, and no question the stress of that, and lonliness can be a huge trigger...but I guess we can find any excuse, huh? (I know I have).

Anyway, try everything and see what works for you. Lots of great stuff here, and lots of great people !!

Love,

Beth
                formerly known as bak310

Comment

decision time

hi finsky welcome im new too and i relate to what you are saying i have managed 38 a/f days with the help of this site i agree what hippie says cause i am sober just today! if you truly want a change the tools and people are here, i wish you strength on your journey
                  jon..x

Comment

decision time

Hi jon,
                    Great to hear you`re still going strong.........you deserve it.

Starlight Impress x

Comment

decision time

thanks star you helped me greatly as you know:O)
                      chat to you soon ...jon..xx

Comment

decision time

HI Finski and welcome. I'm a newbie too - day 6 of my first attempt. I've just relied on myself and circumstances to get me this far but I have got all the supps on order and have read half the downloaded book so I have some back up for when things get tricky - as I am sure they will! Along with the help of this site and all the good folk on it I have the best possible support. I don't use the chat rooms usually but I'm in the UK so will try and pop in on them if I am free around your times. GOOD LUCK!! Go you! Bessie x

Comment

decision time

Just adding my :welcome: , Finski,

I jump into chat occasionally, too. It helps a lot when I am alone and craving.

Good luck and like Beatle says, start the supps now. They really do help.

Cindi
                          AF April 9, 2016

Comment

decision time

Hi Finski and :welcome:

I am doing the programme without the topa and find the supplements do help. I have noticed that when I slack and dont take the three lots during the day the cravings are there but once I take the last lot it really helps. I

I took 1st September as my start date and did 30 days AF in September, started October o.k. but due to stress slipped for a day or two but am now back AF again and aiming for another 30 days. I think I will finish October saying well did 98% and start another 30 days on 1st November. There is something about the a new beginning at the start of a month that appeals to me so I am right in there with you.

There is a ODAT thread in newbies and an Inn for 30 Days in abstinance so join in and let us know how you are getting on. Good luck.

Rustop

Comment

Working...
                            X