X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting ready for the trip

:new:

Hi all,

I found this site on Friday and it seems to be just what I need. I've been reading posts and I feel right at home here. I'm going to get the book today, and maybe the tapes and the supplements, I'm a bit scared of the drugs...

We have no children and my husband is a heavy drinker also. He should stop for serious health reasons but doesn't seem inclined to. I think if i get my drinking under control it would be a great thing for me, and also may help him.

I am looking forward to making this journey with all of you.

Irishgirl :welcome: :welcome: to MWO ....

This place is amazing, there is always someone here to help and support you whenever you need it .........

Read as much as you but beware ........ it is addictive .........
    sigpicXXX

Comment

Welcome

Hi IrishGirl

and :welcome:

This is a great place, whether you're beginning, re-beginning, falling, getting up, falling again, or even counting AF days in terms of weeks, months and years.

There are people here at every stage of their personal journey; everyone is willing to share the good, the bad, and the downright ugly, and no-one ever feels alone here.

Wishing you great courage, strength, peace, laughter, and company here at MWO from another newbie

Looking fwd to seeing you around the boards

B

Comment

:welcome: IrishGirl!

Glad you found us! You will find tons of support and information here to help you along the way. It has been a saving grace for me and many, many others.

I agree, if we can set the 'example' in the home, maybe our spouse will be inclined to follow suit. It seems to have been the case for my home - although it has taken him many months after I did. My husband and I were BIG drinkers.

I don't think he liked to drink alone and hear about his 'lovely' slur-filled conversations or 'his' drunken behaviour the day after. I remember the last time he drank and was totally blitzed on Vodka, he had passed out on our living room floor at 2pm. The two hours before this he had the stereo cranked; the neighbours complained, and he had almost started a fight with them for complaining. Oh, and also, he had started dinner - (it was only lunch time) and when I came home shortly thereafter, our home was smoldering with burning broccoli?!?! Ewe - the smell! Thankfully he didn't burn the place down, or shall I say the building down.

I know my story is a little out there, but this was the last time he had a drink. Things are getting better. He has some serious health issues to contend with as well and shouldn't be drinking. I hope both you and your husband will find what you need here.

Read lots and post often!!

Comment

Hi Irish and welcome.
          If you really want to quit or moderate your drinking and arm yourself with the appropriate tools, you will find all the support you need at M.W.O. to help you succeed. Like you say, you quitting may even encourage your hubby to cut down or quit also, although you cannot actually make the decision for him. It is posible to quit without the meds if you are nervous of them, but worth remembering that they`re available if needed.

Love and strength to you,

Starlight Impress x

Comment

Hi Irish

I second what all the others say. Buy the book and take it from there. A lot of us are quitting just using the supplements from this site. Good luck.

Rustop

Comment

Hi IrishGirl, and welcome. I'm doing it (day 12, go me!) without drugs except an anti-depressant (I was in bad, bad shape, and it helped me find the strength to start fighting back). I would definitely recommend a good multivitamin, pay attention to your diet (no sugar/refined starch), and exercise at a minimum, and I don't see any harm in Kudzu and L-glutamine for cravings.

The best things about MWO: You can be honest here, you don't need to hide. You will find support instead of judgement. You will find good, successful examples that you can draw inspiration from -- not only are you not alone in where you're starting, but many others have succeeded in the fight you're undertaking. You will find practical advice on dealing with cravings, what to expect from drugs/supplements, etc.

peace and strength,
              lilnev
              Q: How do I become the person I want to be?
              A: Practice, of course.

Comment

We are happy your here!
                September 23, 2011

Comment

welcome aboard.......
                  -maybe, is the new maybe-

Comment

:welcome: Irishgirl......it's great here.....everyone is helpful and encouraging...and, most importantly, honest about what's going on. Such a relief to be able to say you have a problem with alcohol.....and not be ridiculed.

Look forward to seeing you around the place....we have laughs too!

Suze x
                    Just hand me the chocolate and.........I'll consider my position. My solicitor has advised me to say no more than that.

Comment

:thanks:

Thanks so much for all the replies and the support - I know I'm going to like it here.

Thanks also for the info from people who are not using the drugs - I may find I have to but for now I'm not going to.

What I see here is the relief of finally being honest and not hiding or covering up. Also support, but most important good examples of how it can be done.

I tried another site a few years ago, and maybe I just read the wrong threads, but it seemed to be a group of people saying they had screwed up (usually over the weekend) and everyone "supportively" saying that was OK. It seemed more like a place to get validation that you didn't really have to try too hard since all these other people couldn't do it either.

I am glad for the people here who are succeeding because it makes me realize I can also.

I've ordered the book and I am eager to get started.

Comment

When to start?

I just reread my last message and feel like it sounded harsh. I did not mean to say that people (me included) won't mess up and need support.

I just meant that on that forum it seemed like everyone got together on Monday mornings (every Monday morning) and talked about how they messed up over the weekend. It didn't seem to be an atmosphere that fostered real change.

I was home sick from work today - yeah, I know... but luckily the book came today and I sat down and read it cover to cover. Just ordered the supplements and the CDs.

I notice it says in the book that you should pick your start time carefully to know that you can give it your full attention and committment. I have just ordered the supplements and CDs so I am thinking maybe the middle of next week would be the earliest I could start.

I am planning a 6 day trip out of the country about 3 weeks after that - should I start or wait?

:thanks: Thanks for any advice.

Comment

Hi IrishGirl,

Don't wait three weeks to start. You want to be feeling good when you leave the country, not just starting your struggle. Actually, I'd say try to at least reduce your drinking now rather than waiting for next week. You've just read the book, you've got some momentum. If you don't feel like you can quit completely without the supplements and CDs, at least try to postpone the start and reduce the quantity. Start practicing your non-drinking habits -- find other things to fill those difficult hours. And you can start on the diet and exercise components right away, of course. Give yourself credit for whatever progress you can make between now and when the stuff arrives. Then you'll have positive momentum, some experience and the resulting knowledge, and and additional set of tools. Keep us posted; we're rooting for you.

peace,
                          lilnev

Comment

Hi IrishGirl. You still here? How's it going? Have the supplements and CDs arrived?

peace,
                            lilnev

Comment

Welcome Irish girl! This is a great group of people who will support you day and night.

As far as when to quit... I have a bachelorette party I'm attending in November. I knew I would not do 30 AF with that approaching. So, what I did was decided to take it ODAT. I'm on day 4 AF and I'm feeling so much better about myself. Try to get 1 or a few days under your belt, so you can start to feel the benefits.

Best wishes to you!

Olivia

Comment

Working...
                              X