antidepressants and meds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

antidepressants and meds

I have just started the program, slowly and modifiying it for me. I recently stopped taking 40mg of celexa, I eased myself off of it. I found that I get really angry and impatient with my kids if I'm not drinking and with the celexa, drinking made me lose my memory and my mind. I've been reading the posts and decided it's time for me to get control.
    I suffered an extreme anxiety attack last November and never in a million years thought it would be from drinking. My dr. did and prescribed me the celexa. I also take 320 mg of Diovan, 50mg of atenelol and 25mg of Spironalacdate. I have Xanax to take as needed, but find I am having more frequent anxiety attacks and drinking more.
    I will wake on days off and begin the day with a few beers, followed by vodka and diet something and end it with more beer and wine with dinner. I never thought this could be my problem. For me, alcohol made my life easier to cope with....so I thought.
    I started taking L-Glutamine and milk thistle last week. I have noticed the cravings going away, but I still reach for the drink even though I'm not craving it.
    I just started taking kudzu this morning and a product called True Calm wich includes:
    &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp
    Niacin (as Niacinamide) &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 45 mg &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp
    Vitamin B6 (from Pyridoxine Hydrochloride) &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 8 mg &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp
    Magnesium (from Magnesium Amino Acid Chelate) &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 13 mgGABA (Gamma Aminobutyric Acid) &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 200 mg &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp ?
    Glycine &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 200 mg &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp
    Taurine &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 200 mg &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp
    Inositol &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 100 mg &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp
    Valerian (Valeriana Officinalis) (root) &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 25 mg

I know I'm missing some of the amino acids, but I am afraid they will react with my medication. Unfortunately, my dr is not into any type vitamin and herbal solutions.

Can you review this and make any suggestions on this? I look forward to becoming the old healthy me....my family deserves it, I deserve it.

&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp

antidepressants and meds

Hi DingDong.

Good work on attempting to decrease your amount of alcohol consumption. I'm glad you are starting the program and have support through the discussion forum. I think you will find the group to be very helpful in sharing insight on setting realistic goals. Ideally, not drinking at all is the ultimate goal but decreasing the number of drinks per day will help your overall health.

I may be wrong but in looking at your type and dose of medications, you seem to be under treatment for heart failure. If this is the case I suggest you share as much of the program as possible with your doctor. The supplements, amino acids and herbals are generally very safe and I believe they will help you nutritionally, as well as decrease some of your craving for alcohol. Be sure to discuss kudzu with your doctor and/or pharmacist if you are, in fact, taking these medications for a heart condition.

I would start using the hypno CD's and in addition to visualizing a loss of interest in alcohol I would visualize my heart getting stronger. Again, if you haven't completely discussed the extent of your daily alcohol consumption with your doctor, please do so. You may wish to consider additional or different anti-craving medication. I would recommend Campral or injectable Naltrexone (Vivitrol).

Water consumption, nutrition and exercise should also be discussed with your health provider as you may need to start very slowly with exercise and avoid the high sodium foods.

Regarding your panic disorder, please keep in mind that Xanax is metabolized in the same midbrain area as alcohol. The brain can easily replace your alcohol addiction for one with Xanax.

I'm glad you are in the MWO community but I strongly encourage you to include your provider in this process.

I hope you find this helpful. Keep working on the program and good health to you!

--Dr. Garcia

Comment

Working...
    X