I'm new here and trying to find my way around

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Namaste, everyone. I found this site by accident, but perhaps not by mere coincidence. First, let me tell you a bit about myself. I'm a Golden Oldie. My husband and I both retired almost six years ago. Our parents are long dead, and we have no family, no grandchildren. And only a few neighbors for friends, for my husband's diabetes eats away at his body and mind with every passing year. Both of us were moderate drinkers during the many years we worked: I'd have a couple of glasses of wine on returning from my job and before starting supper. My husband would have a couple, but often more Scotch and sodas.

My problem with alcohol began when I retired, and my husband's diabetes growing worse changed our lives. From a couple of glasses of wine during the work week, I went to six. Then eigtht. Then a full bottle every day. I knew I was an alcoholic when I'd have wine for breakfast at 8:30 a.m. I went to AA, but the 12-step program didn't work for me. I've since attempted to stop drinking without help. but was never successful for more than a few months.

Have any of you quit successfully without detox? Have any of you tried the medications on sale in the store here? Have they worked for you?

I look forward to meeting and exchanging messages with what I hope will be many new friends.

Shantiji, :welcome: I'm fairly new to the site too. As I said in another post I haven't yet become AF (alcohol free) but being here has helped me achieve more AF days then I have had in a while. I haven't tried any of the medications although I did order the topamax. I started the supplements on Friday because I plan on going AF on Monday. The best thing about this site are the people who post. There is much wisdom, support, encouragement so keep coming here and reading the posts. I'm sure someone who has tried the meds will respond soon. I'm sorry to hear about your husband's health problems.
    Cuckoo

Comment

Namaste, Shantiji!

It sounds as though my drinking habits were very similar to yours, and like yourself, I found AA entirely unhelpful in controlling my addiction. I did manage to quit without detox, although I went to my GP first and let her know what I would be doing. She prescribed something, I think it was valium, that I was to take in decreasing doses over the first week. I felt kind of awful, and it wasn't something I'd want to do again, but for me it was preferable to doing it in a hospital.

I use all the recommended supplements, but I get them locally, and they help enormously. I really recommend downloading and reading the book, and following it, I know the suggestions in it have helped me to achieve more AF time than I have ever been able to in years of trying EVERYTHING else. (supplements, diet, accupuncture, AA, intensive outpatient, hypnosis, RR, counseling, etc.) I'd never done things in the combinations that RJ suggests, though.

I use the cd's, too (not as often as I should, though), and the Topomax. The Topomax was essential for me, it is like a switch that just kind of turns the desire off. Even if I am handed a glass of wine at a party, (this happened recently) I literally can't finish it. I would have to force myself.

By far, though, one of the best things is this site. The stories here are inspiring and there is always kindness, compassion and support if one needs it, and it's an antidote to the lonliness and isolation that so many of us tend to feel.

It sounds as though your situations is stressful. I am sure that dealing with your husband's illness can't be easy, and alcohol always seems to promise relief. It's a hollow promise, though, it takes far more than it gives. I wish you all success, you can have it if you want it.

*hugs*
      Luna

Comment

Hi Shantiji! and welcome :welcome: -

I've also just recently found MWO and this site. And it's a tremendous help, to say the least. I'm feeling sooooo much better !

I'm doing the supp's. I think they help. But more than anything it's this site and all the great people here that are making the difference I think.

Look forward to hearing more about you-

wonder xx

Comment

Working...
        X