Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NOVA Marathon Challenge

Hi everyone:

I just saw a NOVA program on PBS that brought tears to my eyes.

It was called "Marathon Challenge". The NOVA production folks took 13 people of all ages, from 20 to 60 years old. Men and women. None of them were engaged in any exercise programs of any seriousness before. Many had athletic handicaps such as previous heart attack, or even AIDS. One woman was 70 lbs overweight per the trainers. All of them were mostly sedentary before the training began, which was only 9 months from start to finish.

The program went through the runners journey to the Boston marathon, and their rigorous training, even in Boston snowy cold winter.

In the end, 12 of the 13 completed the marathon. The only one that did not, was a younger woman who was taken off the team early due to serious stress fractures in her shin bones that were dangerous.

My eyes got watery at the very end, when the lady who was 60 finished, and the expression on her face just killed me.

I recorded the program, and now any time I get to feeling like I can't do the distance, I will watch this incredible story.

Neil

NOVA Marathon Challenge

Wow! How inspiring, and what a testament to the human spirit...

I have a friend who's now a quadriplegic, he gets more done in his morning hours than a lot of people do in a full day! Talk about inspiration. Nothing slows him down!
    The only thing worth stealing is a kiss...:flower: zwink:

Comment

NOVA Marathon Challenge

nice Neil....we don't have much to complain about when we look at it in a different perspective. the human spirit is beyond comprehension sometimes.
      nosce te ipsum
      (Know Thyself)

Comment

Working...
      X