Stretching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stretching

Guys / Girls - I need some advice on effective stretching routines mostly for leg / hip flexibility - upper bod is not too bad due to climbing.

Xtexan - You there? I seem to remember you had some pretty impressive stretching routines going.

As some of you know I am in early phase training for triathlon and have picked up my first minor injury - a slight calf muscle strain while running - I do stretch - but not enough and (evidently) not effectively enough to completely avoid injury.

Yep - I have been doing this stuff long enough to know that I need to build up mileages etc slowly, run on softer surfaces, avoid hill early in programme, cross train etc etc - but somehow still managed to do a little damage here.
    Luckily I have been doing this stuff long enough that I know all the warning signs, so didn't try to run through it - nowadays if I feel something that isn't a "normal" ache or pain for someone who does everything
    to excess I just stop - so this hopefully will not take long to heal!
    I just want to make sure I get flexible enough to avoid doing it again if I can.

Love

Satori

XXX
    "Though there are many paths at the foot of the mountain - all those who reach the top see the same moon - as any fule kno"

Stretching

Satori:

Yep. Ima here.

Try this book on for starters on those legs. 6 days a week, I try to blast the legs, as my hamstrings are at least 20% longer than they were a year ago.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Whartons-Stretch-Book-Jim-Wharton/dp/0812926234]Amazon.com: The Whartons' Stretch Book: Books: Jim Wharton,Phil Wharton[/ame]

The active isolated technique can be used daily, and you can pick and choose the best ones for you. It has evaluations for flexibility by use of a "clock" face imposed on how far you can move a particular limb around.

I took two fabric belts, and clasped them to each other to make my "strap" for self assistance.

I keep having this weird dream, where I can finally get into a yoga postion that is currently impossible for me. In the dream, I am fully folded over in two, like a sheet of paper with a sharp crease. Not there yet, but a whole lot closer than I was two years ago. It takes time.

Neil

Comment

Stretching

Thanks, Neil... I am getting the book... I had resolved that the only way my head was going to meet my feet is if I were in a car accident!! This sounds much more pleasant... I can sit in meditation, but anything else.. a strain, to say the least..

MM
      Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them, but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.

Comment

Stretching

Cheers Neil - I'll give it a look!

20% longer hamstrings EEK!

Sounds like it might work quite well then!

Satori
        "Though there are many paths at the foot of the mountain - all those who reach the top see the same moon - as any fule kno"

Comment

Stretching

Satori:

My legs were so tight when I started, I could not bend even 90 degrees at the waist, much less touch my toes. Sitting straight up in chair was even painful on the thighs two years ago.

Years of inactivity, and sitting on my rump at work desk, and Lazyboy at home did their worst. It was terrible.

Now I can touch the floor quite easily without bending my knees. Toes are easy.

Now I can do lotus position without discomfort, and that is a biggie for a lot of folks. Of course, the stretch book goes into specific details on just about every single muscle group, and some of the stretchs are complex to get into. The calves are very easy to stretch intensely with the strap, so you are in luck on that one.

The older you get, the more important this becomes. Note the crippled up old folks who have lost almiost all their flexibility through inactivity. I was headed there fast. People using walkers, and electric scooters just break my heart. Then you see the 90 year old once in a while, who is still limber.

Of course, all the free radical damage from the booze is not a great help either for muscle flexibility. Stretching is just as important as cardio, or weight-lifting in my program.

Neil

Comment

Stretching

I like that AIS book, too, although some of the illustrations are rather unclear.

Doing some light biking as cross-training will help you to gently stretch out your muscles, too.

Comment

Stretching

Make sure you always warm the muscles a bit before stretching, stretching cold muscles sets you up for injury. And only stretch to a slight pull, not discomfort. I am starting a new yoga class next week to complement my next marathon training cycle, I will let you guys know how it goes.
              It's not that some people have willpower and some don't. It's that some people are ready to change and others are not.
              James Gordon, M.D.

Comment

Stretching

Thanks again guys - I have ordered the book!

It seems some have complained that the illustrations are not clear enough - but at least I will be able to consult Neil when I get stuck!

I am reasonably flexible already - but years of running without paying enough attention to stretching have left my legs / hips less flexible than they ideally should be!
                I aim to try to put that right.

I have recurring problems with irritation of my sciatic nerve by an over tight piriformis muscle - I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY would LOVE to be able to solve that one!
                It literally is a pain in the butt! :H

I aim to be still exercising when I'm 90!

I already do Tai Chi - so at least that should be something I will be able to do when I am 90!

I might
                have to give up on the climbing and the triathlons by then I suppose

Love

Satori
                xxx

Comment

Stretching

Satori,

My folks are in their 80s (almost 84, both of them) and they both exercise every day.

They have a machine called a "Nu Step, New Step, something like that" that they use in their home. It is non-impact and weight bearing and aerobic for them.

My mom has horrible osteo. Last May while at my niece's wedding, mom was standing there and just fell down. Her hip had broken. :-(

However, today she is back at it and doing her exercising and getting around just great without a cane or walker.

The Physical Therapists say that if she had not been exercising, her recovery time would have been much slower. When you are in your 80s, much slower counts as a lot.

Cindi
                  AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Working...
                  X