Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Biggest concern -- cognitive skills

Dear Dr Garcia &/or RJ,
    I am used to pain & discomfort having suffered with migraines for over 15 yrs. That has ended. I am doing this for the alcohol problem (about to start). Therefore my biggest concern is the affect on cognitive skills. I am a technical consultant -- think, research, write abstractly all day. How severe are the cognitive issues? Do they "always" pass & typically when? I work from home mostly & I may be able to hide out for a few days at a time -- but I will still have to produce.

Thank you again ..so much!

This was worrying to me, too. I'm a technical writer. I had a few problems initially, but they seem to have passed...I'm at 250mg now. And oddly enough, they weren't with technical items, but with more mundane words. For instance, had no problem with detailed instructions for servicing a water sterilizer...but couldn't remember the name of the lady who runs the blueprint library!

My typing got a bit dyslexic as well, but once aware....could be coped with..and as I said, seem to be past that now.

Comment

To "Iwanttobelieve"..Thank you!...I am a technical writer also!!!...hope we can share more...
      How l ong did the problem last? At what dosage did it start? Did you subsequently up your dosage?
      How did you handle the typing dyslexia? Thank you ;.)

Comment

Worst was at 75 mg or so....seemed to even out at about 150 mg or so. Just yesterday went to 300 mg.

As far as typing dyslexia...have always had it so some degree

Computers are so much more forgiving than typewriters were.

I'm just very careful as I type. And we do have very excellent editors....

Comment

Dear Coggy fog,

Topamax is used for migraine prevention at 50 mg twice daily. Most of my patients who use it at this dose aren't bothered by fuzzy thinking. On the other hand, some people are so pill oriented they want to dose the Topamax up rapidly to reach the maximum level sooner than recommended. They are willing to deal with the "Topa dopas".

In your situation, I would titrate the medication up very slowly and use the Kudzu in the higher doses (at least 3000 mg per day). The brain specific amino acids will also be helpful (e.g. L-Glutamine) and the hypno CDs can be particularly useful in your case. They will allow you to specifically address the lower Topamax dosing. For instance, set up your own mantra something like this: "I do not crave alcohol on a lower dose of Topamax and feel mentally clear and energetic". You may be able to shorten it to suit your own taste, but I would try this technique. You can also use this in a cadence to your workout program for further reinforcement.

Finally, keep in mind Topamax is not the only medication to decrease the craving, so if you run into cognitive troubles there are others you may wish to consider such as Campral or Naltrexone.

Good health to you and I hope this helps.

--Dr. Garcia

PS: don't forget the power of all the great people on the board who are ready with lots of support.

Comment

Dr. Garcia,
            Is it mandatory to take campral after giving up alcohol? Does it have any effect on reducing the desire for alcohol if one just starts taking it?

Comment

Working...
            X