Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Topa and Anti Depressants

Hi.
    I visited my G.P. here in the U.K. yesterday having been sober for 4 weeks and not handling the emotional fallout that well and she has prescribed me 10mg of Citalopram per day. I'm currently titrating my Topa up and am on 125mg per day at the moment. I'm just wondering whether these two drugs are okay to take together as she said she hadn't come across taking Topa for Alcoholism before, only Epilepsy. Any help you could offer would be most welcome as I feel torn between a rock and a hard place! I refuse to give up the Topa as I haven't been sober for this long for many years but I need something to take the 'black cloud' away for a while. I'm 29.
    Many, many thanks.

--Michelle.

Hi again!
    I guess this isn't relevant anymore as my GP has now prescribed me Campral but just to set my mind at rest is it ok to take the antidepressants with Campral? I assume it is!
    Thanks for your time.

--Michelle

Comment

Hi.

Topamax is used off label for alcohol and nicotine craving, neuropathic pain, obsessive compulsive disorder, bulimia, and other conditions. It's also prescribed as an adjunctive medication to a number of antidepressants because it can enhance therapy and prevent weight gain.

Campral is also used to decrease craving and help minimize binging episodes. Both can be used with antidepressants.

Good health to you.

--Dr. Garcia

Comment

Paxil, statins and Topomax

Hi Dr. Garcia,

I read your previous comment about Topomax being used adjunctively with antidepressants. Would that include Paxil?

I am also worried about Kudzu. Once I took Kava and I went into a serious allergic state and had to take immediate antihistamines.

I am also on Vytorin for hypolipidemia. Familial. I'm concerned about the effect of the Topo and supps on the liver along with the above.

In other words, is this going to be a good mix?

Thanks so much.

Ivy

Comment

Working...
        X