slipping...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

slipping...

Have made it six days AF. Picked up wine in supermarket yesterday, put it down again. Wanted to go and buy some last night, didn't, and am glad. But just wish I could switch off the bit in my brain that keeps on thinking about it, and trying to persuade me of ways I could get drink. I really want to do this, but am sick of thinking about it ALL the time.
    Pipsqueak

slipping...

But you're not "slipping" if you're putting it back and continuing to abstain! You're winning, in my book. Slipping is..."sipping!"

I don't know if I'll ever quit yearning after the feel of that cool glass, that lovely glow. Probably never. I'm resigned to always wanting it. But when I was little we had a housekeeper who taught me a phrase I plan to use in my fight against my mortal enemy. When I'd whine about "wanting" something---cookies before dinnertime, to stay up past my bedtime, to bike to the park alone near twilight, she'd just say, "Well, wantin' it ain't the same as gettin' it, so just hush."
    Jane Jane

Comment

slipping...

Pipsqueak Hi, That brain is a bossy one. Old habits are so hard to break, which is what I found was mostly my problem. I just started recently started posting in Oct, but have been reading since June when I really decided I'd had it and had to do something. I don't know if you read the book, taken any supps or tried any meds. I started with the supps and Campral, later added Naltrexone, and now more Kuduz. What I have found from posting here is no one thing works for everyone. Alot of it is mental and the rest are just our arsenal to keep the beast at bay and gain some control. Every day under your belt is one more day of retraining your brain chemistry. My therapist originally had me make a list of ten things I could do before I took a drink, sometimes it works sometimes not, but you could kill aliltte time making a list. Another post on here I like, Evergreen started to list every to not like about alcohol. That has been motivational. I have tried at least 6 times to mod or AF and keep getting up and trying again. This last time I have managed AF during the week and not too bad on the weekend, could get better. I also have been on a healthy diet and that is motivational to not drink as I have been losing weight and feel better. Look up some of the posts on what alcohol does to the body and maybe that will be of some help. Anyway, Keep trying, Keep posting and reading and stay positive.

Comment

slipping...

You are bound to think about it often but you are not slipping. Let yourself think about it and think how well you are doing. 6 days is great! Bella xxx

Comment

slipping...

pipsqueak.......6 days says you ARE doing this.

It does get easier, but to be perfectly honest, I still have the occasional evening when I think, "wouldn`t it be lovely to have a btl. of chilled sparkling white". The thing is.......I will not do it........I have taken back control.

When will we cease to think about it ?.........God alone knows!!!

Love and strength to you,

Starlight Impress x

Comment

slipping...

Hey pipsqueak!!

It took me a good solid 2 months sober before I didn't wake up in the morning thinking about drink or how I was going to get a drink inside me that day. It's bloody hard I know but you have shown you have the willpower to get over these obstacles early on. It's not going to happen over night either. These first few months are very difficult and you need a lot of help and encouragement to stay A/F which you will surely get here. When I first gave up I had joined an AA forum and although I don't agree with AA I still posted on the forum just to vent things and keep me occupied so I wasn't pre-occupied thinking about how to get a drink; I was being positive and openly posting about my fears etc. it helped me a great deal apart from the constant nagging to get myself to a meeting!! but that is neither here or their to be honest. Keep at it and it will get easier in time. You won't even notice when it suddenly dawns upon you that you haven't thought about a drink for the past week. It's a great feeling and a great place to be at.

Love and Happiness
            Hippie
            xx
            "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
            Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

slipping...

Hiya Pip

Something that helps me a lot when cravings get bad is to simply sit down and try to examine what the cravings feel like - but without the mental "dialogue"
              Try to concentrate on not allowing yourself to get caught up in the "oh - I REALLY could do with a drink" or It's so unfair - everyone else can drink and I can't" or AAAARGH I want a drink so bad" type thoughts.

Every time you catch one of these thoughts - dont follow it up and get lost in a long trail of self pitying thought about how hard it is - instead, just bring your mind back to trying to examine the physical feelings you have - not the thoughts.

After a while - you will find that 90% of craving is down to the thoughts - which we can chose not to follow up on.
              10% of craving is a sort of tense achey feeling in your tummy / chest.

Well - it isn't nice - but it sure aint life threatening!

The trick is to catch the thoughts early - before you are 10, 20 or 30 minutes into a long mental self pity saga where the whole of the world is against you - and probably a few alien civilisations thrown in for good measure.

I know - I've been there :H !

Love

satori

xxx
              "Though there are many paths at the foot of the mountain - all those who reach the top see the same moon - as any fule kno"

Comment

Working...
              X