Atkins, Week One

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atkins, Week One

OK, I'm so excited that so many of you wanted to join me! It gives me so much inspiration to fire this up and make it work!

So, I will refresh this post each week. I will post the Atkins guidelines in the first post of the weeks, so we can all remember. Each day I will try and post some ideas, what I am eating, recipes, tricks, roadblocks, and EXERCISE.

Also, it is a good idea to weigh yourself (aargh) and take your measurements (arm, chest, breast, stomach, hips, butt, thigh and calf). There are many poople that will lose inches some weeks and not inches, so it is as important to do inches each week as it is to do weight. I am going to have my weigh in and measure date on Monday - which I did. SO on Monday I will post my stats... That part is up to you guys...

Make sure you ask any questions, many of us have sone this before, so I am sure between us we can answer any questions we may come up with.

[b]So.. Here are the Atkins guidelines: (this is for the induction - for the first two weeks). REMEMBER.... the first few days you may be low energy, but after that you will be charged!

Eat either three regular-size meals a day or four or five smaller meals. Do not skip meals or go more than six waking hours without eating. I recommend eating a low-carb bar in between meals to keep metabolism going and energy up - I like https://www.thinkproducts.com/indexset.htm - they are awesome!
    [*]Eat liberally of combinations of fat and protein in the form of poultry, fish, shellfish, eggs and red meat, as well as pure, natural fat in the form of butter, mayonnaise, olive oil, safflower, sunflower and other vegetable oils (preferably expeller-pressed or cold-pressed).[*]Eat no more than 20 grams a day of carbohydrate, at least 12 – 15 grams of which must come in the form of salad greens and other vegetables. (see Atkins - Acceptable Foods[*]Eat absolutely no fruit, bread, pasta, grains, starchy vegetables or dairy products other than cheese, cream or butter. Do not eat nuts or seeds in the first two weeks. Foods that combine protein and carbohydrates, such as chickpeas, kidney beans and other legumes, are not permitted at this time. If you feel you must eat bread or some other grain product, only high fiber low-carb products with 3 net carbs or less per serving are allowed, and you can eat only one serving a day. Be aware that even that amount may slow or stall your progress, and if that happens, drop the product immediately. (REMEMBER - NO ALCOHOL IN THE INDUCTION PHASE IF YOU ARE IN MODS)[/B]Eat nothing that isn't on the Atkins - Acceptable Foods list. And that means absolutely nothing. Your "just this one taste won't hurt" rationalization is the kiss of failure during this phase of Atkins.Adjust the quantity you eat to suit your appetite, especially as it decreases. When you're hungry, eat the amount that makes you feel satisfied (I always liked this part, especially in the beginning), but not stuffed. When you're not hungry, eat a small controlled carbohydrate snack to accompany your nutritional supplements. (REMEMBER TO CUT BACK WHEN YOU ARE NO LONGER HUNGRY).Don't assume any food is low in carbohydrate—instead, read labels
    . Check the carb count (it's on every package) or use a http://www.atkins.com/carb-counter/a...ramcounter.pdf. Be aware that the law allows manufacturers to round off if a product has fewer than 0.5 grams of any carbohydrate, so that will show up as zero. The only way to detect some fractional carbs is to look for them in the ingredients list, where they must be listed if they’re added to a product, regardless of the amount.[*]Eat out as often as you wish but be on guard for hidden carbs in gravies, sauces and dressings. Gravy is often made with flour or cornstarch, and sugar is sometimes an ingredient in salad dressing.[*]Use sucralose or saccharin as a sweetener (I USE SPLENDA, I THINK IT IS THE HEALTHIEST CHOICE). Be sure to count each packet of any of these as 1 gram of carbs, because of the fillers and bulking agents which are added.[*]Avoid too much coffee, tea and soft drinks that contain caffeine. Excessive caffeine has been shown to cause low blood sugar, which can make you crave sugar. (GREEN TEA IS GREAT FOR ENERGY)Drink at least eight 8-ounce glasses of water each day in addition to anything else you may drink, to hydrate your body, avoid constipation and flush out the by-products of burning fat.If you are constipated, mix a tablespoon or more of psyllium husks in a cup or more of water and drink daily. Or mix ground flaxseed into a shake or sprinkle wheat bran on a salad or vegetables. (I USE A BULK FIBER EVERY NIGHT-VERY IMPORTANT!)At a minimum, take a good daily multivitamin with minerals, including potassium, magnesium and calcium, but without iron. (CALCUIM IS ALSO VERY IMPORTANT, MOST MULTI'S DON'T HAVE ENOUGH, I LIKE THE SUGAR FREE CHOCOLATE CHEWABLES - A NIGHTLY SWEET TREAT)[list type=decimal][/list type=decimal]
    So, let's get started. Use the Atkins website http://www.atkins.com/- it is amazing and has so much valuable information. TONS of recipes and information. I printed the Carb Counter out and am going to carry it in my purse. You can also buy the little pocket ones, but this one is free!

Good luck everyone!
    Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them, but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.

Atkins, Week One

MM:

While I am long past my goal, I want you to know I did Atkins induction by the book for two weeks, and then started adding good carbs a bit at a time. .

I started at 195 lbs, and my goal was 180. Now I'm at 177, and started adding a LOT more carbs in the last couple of weeks to stabilize. At 6'2" tall, my goal was also to get below 20% body fat. I started at 25%, and am now at 18%.

The thing now is to maintain this body weight, but continue to burn fat and increase muscle mass. I had to switch strategy, and found a great book called "Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle" which I learned about on a low-carb forum while researching Atkins.

Anyway, not a bit of sugar or junk carbs now for 4 months. I got the train rolling good, and went below target, but thats OK. Now at about 150 to 175 grams of good carbs a day to maintain current weight. The rigourous exercise schedule burns a lot, and more muscle mass keeps the train rolling. Not bad for a 51 year old, ex-boozer, ex-couch potato!

Neil

Comment

Atkins, Week One

Hi again...

OK.. just did my weigh in... not as bad as I thought!

Yep, I was right. 18 pounds is my ideal weight. That is my first goal. I did my inches, too.

I'm only going to weigh once a week. I know with myself I may not lose too much the first week as I will also be starting my exercise and I gain muscle very quickly.

Today's food: 19 CARBS

Breakfast:
      eggs / bacon (yum) (0 carbs)
      Chai tea (no milk) with my Allone (not very good - won't do that again) (0 carbs)

Snack
      Think Thin Bar (2 carbs)

Lunch
      2 cups spinach (.5 carbs)
      2 sliced eggs
      left over bacon
      blue cheese crumbles
      italian dressing spritzer (wish bone spray dressings - love them!) (2 carbs)

Snack
      Turkey / Provelone Rollups w/ mayo (2)
      (deli turkey 4 pcs and sliced provelone 2 slices halved)
      *remember cheese is about 1 carb per ounce)

Dinner
      Left-over Chicken (had a bit of flour on it, so I will say 2 carbs)
      4 cups salad greens with cheese and salad spritzer (4 carbs)
      1 cup Broccoli (2 carbs)

Snack
      1/2 yogurt (lite n fit, no sugar added. I only eat half and save the other half for another serving. It gives me some dairy and a creamy, sweet fix) (5 carbs)

I am not going to have time to do this every day, but today is Monday, my day off, so I thought I would try and put out my food for the day.

ALso, starting tomorrow I am going to do a product called "Designer Whey" DESIGNER WHEY | America's #1 Protein Since 1993. It is a Whey Protein, but it only has 2 carbs. I am going to mix up this chocolate shake in the mornings with my AllOne. I got one of those individual blenders Tribest? Personal Blender? - America's First Single-Serving Blender so I can have my nutrition quick and easy in the AM before my workout - I can't eat before I workout - blah! Then I can eat some eggs after..

OK.. so there you have it.. just some thoughts from me..

I have to run now.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

MM
      Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them, but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.

Comment

Atkins, Week One

Nicely done, Neil!! You are again my inspiration!!

Comment

Atkins, Week One

Had great success today and feel fantastic!

I read through the other post and am psyched! Lots of Atkins buddies!

I think I will lay off the bacon, though... I haven't had it for a long time. I did get the Organic, uncured, but I still feel a little unhealthy from it.. BUT IT WAS GOOD!

MM

Comment

Atkins, Week One

MM:

Try "turkey bacon". I would nuke 6 strips in a microwave using a gadget called the "BaconWave" that stands the strips upright with skewers. Real neat gadget. I would wrap the whole thing with a couple of paper towels to keep spatters down. The turkey bacon would come out very crisp and delicious. I got to where I prefer it to piggy bacon. Very fast and hassle free, as clean-up was very easy.

I would scramble a whole dozen eggs at once, and then put portions into little covered Rubbermaid double-divider trays to refrigerate. About 4 days worth, with sausage or bacon wrapped in paper towel. I took the Rubbermaid "modules" to work, and nuke for 1 minute, and have my Atkins breakfast right in my office. Fast and easy.

At lunch, I would go to various buffets and cafeterias where I could pick and choose what I got. Salads, green veggie, and a meat portion. Only a little red vinegar and olive oil on the salad greens.

Whenever the sweet craving became unbearable, it was various Flavor-Aid drink mixes with Splenda or liquid saccharin. I allowed myself a Coke Zero every three days or so when that craving got unbearable.

I monitored closely with ketostix, and kept them purple the whole time. Sometimes into the 40 range, but mostly around the 20 range.

Just a few things I during induction.

Neil

Comment

Atkins, Week One

Hello all Atkins dieters,
              I don't want to be the pooper on your diet, but I feel it is my duty to alert you to some very real dangers in following this diet.
              After I had my daughter in 1978 I simply could not shed the extra 20 pounds that I had put on over the course of the pregnancy. I was a young woman then and appearance was really important. So I found the Dr. Atkins book. True to form, I followed the book to the letter. I was doing it all, keton test etc. The weight come off alright. 3 month into the diet I happened to be at a party with our family Dr. I had a piece of rhubarb cake about one square inch in size. I went into a diabetic coma right there and then. If my Dr. had not been there, everyone would have assumed that I was drunk. I was not. I never even had one ounce of alcohol. He knew I was in big trouble and had me ferried to the emergency. There, in a couple of hours I came around and well, I am still here. This happened again once more. That was when I decided to kiss Atkins godbye.
              I was told that some people stop producing insulin altogether with this diet and it can kill them.
              You are all grown people and can make your own decision. Please, please do more research before you commit to such draconian measures.
              And last but not least, the weight loss cannot be maintained, because the diet is not maintainable.
              Just my 2 cents worth.
              Hugs Lori
              *Definition of Insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result* Albert Einstein

Comment

Atkins, Week One

Atkins

Atkins diet Bulletin Board is also a great place for tips recipies and advice. There are many success stories posted there.
                Your experience sounds horrific Lorisunshine! It does pay to be very careful when
                following diets. I have had past success with Atkins however I didn't follow
                through and add good carbs back in after the induction phase. This in turn
                lead to boredom and eventual failure. I like the approach that Xtexan has taken
                I think if followed carefully this diet has merit for me personally. I've started
                off again today and am looking forward to some results.
                Cheers Pan

Comment

Atkins, Week One

Lori - that is awful! I am so sorry for yoru incident!

I think that the atkins diet has changed quiet a bit in the past few years, there are a lot more healthy veggies and not as many hard fats, and more lean meats.

Yes, every diet is not for everyone, so please make sure you talk to your Doc before you start any diet if you have any concerns!!

Best,

MM

Comment

Atkins, Week One

Day two (19 Carbs)

Breakfast:
                    Chocolate Protein Shake with AllOne (MUCH BETTER!) (2)
                    Hard Boiled Egg

Snack
                    Think Thin Bar (2)

Lunch
                    4 Organic Turkey / Low Fat Provolone Rollups (2)

Snack
                    Romaine Lettuce and Curry Chicken Salad Boats (1)

Dinner
                    Chicken Fajitas with Low Carb Tortilla (10)

Snack
                    Pria Low Carb bar - Cookies & Caramel (2)

Chow!!

MM

Comment

Atkins, Week One

for lunch I am having steamed wax beans and bok choy with sesame garlic sauce, (home made) and a boiled egg.
                      for breakfast I had a boiled egg with sauteed thin sliced beef. (thin sliced beef cooks really fast)
                      I am a big fruit eater, and that is usually what I eat for breakfast, so this won't be easy for me
                      You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

Atkins, Week One

Hi!

Day Three: 19 Carbs

Breakfast
                        Scrambled eggs
                        Turkey bacon
                        Protien Drink with All One (2)

Snack
                        Think Thin Bar (2)

Lunch
                        Fiesta Salad (6)
                        (2c Romaine Lettuce, Chicken Breast, Cheese, Sour Cream, Salsa, 1/2 tbl sliced Olives)

Snack
                        Chicken Salad Boat (from yesterday) (1)

Dinner
                        6oz Top Sirloin Steak
                        Ceasar Salad w/ Ceasar Salad Spritzer and Fresh parmesean slivers (no croutons) (4)
                        Broccoli (4)

Yesterday was a bit low energy, so I supplemented with Green Tea. I expect today to be the same, so I took the afternoon off and I am going to rest! It usually takes about three days, then the energy KICKS IN, I am waiting to start my exercise until I feel this. I am not going to push it as I am too busy at the spa and need my energy for that. Hopefully start on Thursday - I'll let you know!

Already feeling an amazing shift in my stomach - smaller!

MM

Comment

Atkins, Week One

meditation mama your menu is so yummy licking my chops.

didn't eat breakfast (I know that's bad) black tea with no sugar or milk.
                          for lunch I am having a big greek salad without the grape leaves
                          and for dinner stirfried chinese greens and steamed fish (what ever looks fresh at the market)
                          I need to buy low carb protein drinks for breakfast.

I really miss eating fruit.

Comment

Atkins, Week One

hhmmm, i take it u atkins guys are definitely af then for awhile!

Comment

Atkins, Week One

yes me
                              I wll try anything to stay of the devil juice.

Comment

Working...
                              X