Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I take topa with liver disease?

Dr Doctor

I am at my wits end trying to cope with craving for alcohol. I was in hospital two years ago with severe liver problems .After that I managed to stay sober for over a year ,sadley I fell off the wagon and am now drinking way too much. I will start the day determind not to drink , but by mid afternoon the craving takes over. I would like to try topamax to help with this but will it do my liver more harm than good? I have done some research and most listings state to consult a doctor before taking if you have had liver problems. Tanks for your time.
    Whitestar28

Great question,

This is my question as well. Unfortunately, I had significant joint pain ( virus) and started taking tylenol which caused my liver enzymes to sky rocket and combined with drinking wine in the evenings it was too much.

I went a month free of no wine or tylenol and my liver enzymes are in the perfectly normal range. But, now I would like to enjoy a glass or wine here and there by not have the cravings for the alcohol. It is so hard as our world has wine with entertainment, a great meal it would be nice to enjoy it but not crave it.

My other question is do you have to take topomax forever or ???
    Thanks so much for your time.

Comment

Whitestar and mysticamaythist:

As you may know from reading the board, you are not alone in terms of the compromised liver/alcohol issue. Yes, please consult with your physician about this. You?ll want specific liver enzyme testing done and a plan of action customized to your situation. I won?t prescribe that for you here but I will tell you there are elements of the My Way Out program you can safely adopt, such as the nutritional supplements, hypnotherapy, and exercise. Please bring the program to your provider and see what you can integrate to help end your craving and address this disease of alcoholism.

Mysticamathyst: to answer your question, I have a number of diabetic patients who require lifelong intervention and they often require long term medication treatment. This is also true of alcohol treatment. Some of these individuals require long term administration of medicines which blunt the craving for alcohol.

--Dr. Garcia

Comment

Hey guys,
        I am also one with liver problems. I went to get topa and found out after blood tests I have hepatitis C. My doc said I could not take topa as it is digested by the liver. However a couple people have mentioned Campral to me, which may be ok to take. I'm seeing a dr on Monday and asking about it.

Marcie

Comment

mystic,
          Alcohol and tylenol DO NOT MIX. They will cause liver enzymes to go up. I never knew much about the liver but after being dx 3 months ago with hepC, I've learned a ton. Take ibuprofen if you need a pain reliever, no tylenol or acetaminophine if you drink.

Marcie

Comment

Working...
          X