Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pain meds and top

Hello Dr. Garcia;
    Thank you for your time. I very much appreciate the value of time as I am in private practice myself. I do also donate much time to Hospice and grief counseling.
    My question: I am on a regimented pain management program for a spinal birth defect, severe arthritis and 4 herniated discs. I monitor my meds carefully - but i also started drinking, which I NEVER did before. My daily meds are oxycontin 40mg TID. Perkosette 10/325 PRN or 2 x 4 daily. Also Soma. I am religious about not taking more. I consulted a new Pain Management MD and he put me on Lamictol, also an anti convulsant, with no good results. He stated anticonvulsants are frequently used in conjunctrion with a poly pharm pain regimen. Where does Top fit into this equation? I KNOW my calories are coming from alcohol - I have gained 40# in the pst 2 years. This has also increased the strain on my joints.
    I AM EXTREMELY conscientious of my mixture /dosage and compliance with protocol. Now I am drinking...which I never did before.
    i do much admire your commitment to this program and for those of us seeking help. i hope that in some way i can give back to others what you are giving me. I DO NOT feel comfortable talking with my doctor - as i initially thought i would unti i began to broach the subject. Dr. Elle

pain meds and top

Hi Elle,

I've read your original message and your very moving second one, too. I think you will find lots of support from all the members on the message board so please feel very welcome as they are a great group.

It sounds very much like things have gotten out of control for you with alcohol and that you are unable to handle the cravings. It also sounds like something occurred related to alcohol about 14 years ago, which was not mentioned in the original post. Anyway, the beast is present and certainly messing up your life.

I like to approach alcohol problems as I do any other chronic disease in which relapses occur. Imagine if you had diabetes--a serious disease. Surrounded by sugar, you can't stop the craving. Lose control and you end up eating a chocolate eclair or five. This results in you feeling poorly and having a blood sugar that?s out of control. Intellectually, you understand that it can wreck havoc on your kidneys, cause early heart disease and ruin your eyes or peripheral nerves. But the sugar will always be there, as will and the opportunity to indulge in a "private chocolate party" or morning cheese Danish for that extra ?lift?.

I'm not trying to be flippant or make light of this disease of alcohol addiction. I'm just trying to eliminate the emotion that surrounds it. (No shame no stigma). I?d like you to approach this health problem just as you would as if you were diabetic.

I always like to start with the basic foundation of nutrition for my patients. I refer --and give all credit--to Sally Fallon with her wonderful book ?Nourishing Traditions?. You can also get a sense of the power that diet plays in any disease by visiting the Weston A Price Foundation website.

I think you must avoid sugar, eat balanced fats with special attention to the Omega 6/3 ratio and DHA/EPA content (this will lift your spirits) and nourish your body overall. Eat high quality protein throughout the day and complex whole food carbohydrates. These recommendations are a little more specific than Roberta's, but with your history of chronic pain and arthritis I believe a special emphasis on food may be useful.

I would apply all aspects of the MWO program, including the Kudzu Rescue product, which I understand is on its way. Since you are no longer on Lamictol, I think the addition of Topamax would be a good start to help block the craving for alcohol and diminish the "buzz" of those dopamine receptors that get turned on by alcohol and narcotics.

I understand you are reluctant to seek help from your pain management MD, as you may be bound to a pain medication contract which precludes the use of certain substances. I know the term "Impaired Physician" has probably been in your thoughts, as well, but frankly I feel there are also risks of a lethal OD with your current behaviors. Again, "No Shame No Stigma", but you must address the alcohol addiction, as well as potential underlying depression and physician burnout syndrome.

What you?re dealing with may sound like a huge and insurmountable number of issues, but try and think about this program one step at a time, one day at a time. Focus on eating well, backing off from grief and/or hospice counseling for awhile, and engage in exercise appropriate for your musculo-skelatal status.

Topamax is used for many disorders (chronic headaches, smoking cessation, etc.) so a primary provider may not directly associate it with alcohol treatment. The kudzu and the CD hypno tapes may also help you feel much better and to want to drink less.

There are many ways to get started and that?s really the important thing ---just get started! I think you will definitely get a super therapeutic boost from the MWO group and you?ll also realize you are not alone in this struggle.

Thanks for your insight and honesty. I hope this helps.

--Dr. Garcia

Comment

pain meds and top

Thank you Dr. Garcia:
      I DID get some very good thoughts about my particular. Circumstances. I so very much know how important it si to open and honest - and I also have the understanding when it is presented in a proactive way that it is statistically better received when presented out of concern or shame and harshness. It doesn't have to be in ignorance or side-stepping the issues both want to obtain.

My doctors are working together now (I hope) and have increased my pain regimen since I have not budged from the old one out of fear. My pain diagnosis is pyloric - and the are watching for PE's pulm emolis). At least - so far - it is not a cancer or hear related. Yeserterday I had to drive myself to the ER and refused all pain meds since I had to drive and didn't want to try anything stronger since I was driving and the drug "Phenoy) is unfamiliar to me - when I said I was very stringent with what I take - I meant that it all scared the heck out of me. My secondary diagnosis is anxiety which they did give me something to take home to take recommend QID. Ativan. I am ordered to bed rest until my breathing is no longer painful - if it subsides in 3-4 days then I am OK - if NOT then we are at scare one. I will have to give them (the new sups) for them to review. I told them every med I was on and how much. They even gave me an aspirin which I am allergic to - bit refused. My health is the most important part and I am doing this to feel whole again.

That is the short of it. I so want to thank you - and for everyone out there who gives of their time as you do - there are a few others. Thank you. I am sooo excited about my packet of thing coming.
      Kinfly El
      El

Comment

Working...
      X