Atkins, Week Two

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atkins, Week Two

OK, I'm so excited that so many of you wanted to join me! It gives me so much inspiration to fire this up and make it work!

So, I will refresh this post each week. I will post the Atkins guidelines in the first post of the weeks, so we can all remember. Each day I will try and post some ideas, what I am eating, recipes, tricks, roadblocks, and EXERCISE.

Also, it is a good idea to weigh yourself (aargh) and take your measurements (arm, chest, breast, stomach, hips, butt, thigh and calf). There are many poople that will lose inches some weeks and not inches, so it is as important to do inches each week as it is to do weight. I am going to have my weigh in and measure date on Monday - which I did. SO on Monday I will post my stats... That part is up to you guys...

Make sure you ask any questions, many of us have sone this before, so I am sure between us we can answer any questions we may come up with.

So.. Here are the Atkins guidelines: (this is for the induction - for the first two weeks). REMEMBER.... the first few days you may be low energy, but after that you will be charged!

Eat either three regular-size meals a day or four or five smaller meals. Do not skip meals or go more than six waking hours without eating. I recommend eating a low-carb bar in between meals to keep metabolism going and energy up - I like https://www.thinkproducts.com/indexset.htm - they are awesome!

Eat liberally of combinations of fat and protein in the form of poultry, fish, shellfish, eggs and red meat, as well as pure, natural fat in the form of butter, mayonnaise, olive oil, safflower, sunflower and other vegetable oils (preferably expeller-pressed or cold-pressed).

Eat no more than 20 grams a day of carbohydrate, at least 12 ? 15 grams of which must come in the form of salad greens and other vegetables. (see Atkins - Acceptable Foods

Eat absolutely no fruit, bread, pasta, grains, starchy vegetables or dairy products other than cheese, cream or butter. Do not eat nuts or seeds in the first two weeks. Foods that combine protein and carbohydrates, such as chickpeas, kidney beans and other legumes, are not permitted at this time. If you feel you must eat bread or some other grain product, only high fiber low-carb products with 3 net carbs or less per serving are allowed, and you can eat only one serving a day. Be aware that even that amount may slow or stall your progress, and if that happens, drop the product immediately. (REMEMBER - NO ALCOHOL IN THE INDUCTION PHASE IF YOU ARE IN MODS)

Eat nothing that isn't on the Atkins - Acceptable Foods list. And that means absolutely nothing. Your "just this one taste won't hurt" rationalization is the kiss of failure during this phase of Atkins.

Adjust the quantity you eat to suit your appetite, especially as it decreases. When you're hungry, eat the amount that makes you feel satisfied (I always liked this part, especially in the beginning), but not stuffed. When you're not hungry, eat a small controlled carbohydrate snack to accompany your nutritional supplements. (REMEMBER TO CUT BACK WHEN YOU ARE NO LONGER HUNGRY).

Don't assume any food is low in carbohydrate?instead, read labels. Check the carb count (it's on every package) or use a http://www.atkins.com/carb-counter/a...ramcounter.pdf. Be aware that the law allows manufacturers to round off if a product has fewer than 0.5 grams of any carbohydrate, so that will show up as zero. The only way to detect some fractional carbs is to look for them in the ingredients list, where they must be listed if they?re added to a product, regardless of the amount.

Eat out as often as you wish but be on guard for hidden carbs in gravies, sauces and dressings. Gravy is often made with flour or cornstarch, and sugar is sometimes an ingredient in salad dressing.

Use sucralose or saccharin as a sweetener (I USE SPLENDA, I THINK IT IS THE HEALTHIEST CHOICE). Be sure to count each packet of any of these as 1 gram of carbs, because of the fillers and bulking agents which are added.

Avoid too much coffee, tea and soft drinks that contain caffeine. Excessive caffeine has been shown to cause low blood sugar, which can make you crave sugar. (GREEN TEA IS GREAT FOR ENERGY)

Drink at least eight 8-ounce glasses of water each day in addition to anything else you may drink, to hydrate your body, avoid constipation and flush out the by-products of burning fat.

If you are constipated, mix a tablespoon or more of psyllium husks in a cup or more of water and drink daily. Or mix ground flaxseed into a shake or sprinkle wheat bran on a salad or vegetables. (I USE A BULK FIBER EVERY NIGHT-VERY IMPORTANT!)

At a minimum, take a good daily multivitamin with minerals, including potassium, magnesium and calcium, but without iron. (CALCUIM IS ALSO VERY IMPORTANT, MOST MULTI'S DON'T HAVE ENOUGH, I LIKE THE SUGAR FREE CHOCOLATE CHEWABLES - A NIGHTLY SWEET TREAT)

So, let's get started. Use the Atkins website http://www.atkins.com/- it is amazing and has so much valuable information. TONS of recipes and information. I printed the Carb Counter out and am going to carry it in my purse. You can also buy the little pocket ones, but this one is free!

Good luck everyone!
    Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them, but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.

Atkins, Week Two

Guar Gum

hi Trix~

Guar can be eaten as an extremely delicious green bean, but is more important as the source of guar gum. Guar beans have a large endosperm that contains galactomannan gum, a substance which forms a gel in water. This is commonly known as guar gum and is used in dairy products like ice cream and as a stabilizer in cheese and cold-meat processing.

Another use is as a fiber supplement. After being partially hydrolyzed, guar gum is completely soluble in water and soft food. Being approximately 75% dietary fiber, it allows fiber to be added to a food with a minimal effect on taste and texture.
    Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them, but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.

Comment

Atkins, Week Two

OK.. Quickie for me as I am off to put my little one to bed...

My weekend was Good... Except on Saturday Night I had some Sweet Potatoes... Other than that I was good.

Today: 18 carbs

Breakfast:
      Protein Shake with All One / Low Carb Yogurt (5)

Snack
      Think Thin Bar (2)

Lunch
      Think thin Bar (2)
      (forgot my lunch - oops)

Dinner
      Chicken Breast
      Fauxtatoes w/ Cheddar Cheese, Half & Half & Butter (orgasmic!) (2)
      Cucumber Romain Salad w/ Annies Organic Dressing (2)

Desert
      Decaf Coffee w/ No Sugar Caramel Creamer (2)
      Low Carb Yogurt (3)

I LOST 2 POUNDS LAST WEEK AND THAT WAS WITH NO EXERCISE AND BEING SICK AND HAVING TWO OFF CARB DAYS.... So I'm pretty happy!

Keep on trucking, girls!

Any stats on you guys yet?

MM

16 pounds to go!

Comment

Atkins, Week Two

how come no iron?

Comment

Atkins, Week Two

I take iron Supplements, and we get LOTS of Iron from lean measts and nuts...

Comment

Atkins, Week Two

Hi all. Yesterday was a good day with the exception of a few Vodka drinks. Technically I made them sugar free low carb...but...just sayin...you know.

Anyway, better on the food front.

B: 2 eggs and bacon (ETA: breakfast also includes 6 oz or so of tomato juice with my All One)

L: Leftover turkey breast and salad with greek dressing (olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, oregano)

D: Baked pork chops and fried brussel sprouts

Fried brussel sprouts sound gross and look gross (at least that's what I thought) but they are terrific if you like brussel sprouts even marginally. The original recipe I found called for frying them whole, which I have done and they are good that way too. But I think they are also good cut in half and fried, and it just reduces the cooking time.

Clean the sprouts and cut in half.
            Heat olive oil in a pan large enough to spread the sprouts in a single layer.
            When the oil is hot, stir in LOTS of crushed garlic and whoosh that around in the oil.
            Add the brussel sprouts.
            Fry them until the sprouts are burnt on the outside. You can taste test them along the way to figure out your own level of "burnt preference." Don't be shy about burning them though. That's what makes 'em taste so good IMO.

Enjoy!

DG
            Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
            Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Atkins, Week Two

Oops - also meant to congratulate you MM on 2 pounds down!! That is terrific.

I haven't weighed since Nov. 8 which was my weigh in at Curves. For this month, I'm going to stay away from the scale and see how that goes. I tend to get scale obsessive, which certainly hasn't helped me keep the fat off my a$$. We'll see what December 8 brings in terms of both weights and measures!

DG
              Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
              Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Atkins, Week Two

Yum - ).. Love Brussel Sprouts.. For an even more delicius twist, Add bacon. Fry two-three strips of backon, then drain most of the oil out, let backon drain on paper towl fry brussel sprouts, then add crumbled bacon when almost finished.. lickin' my chops!

OK..

Today 19 carbs

Breakfast
                Boiled Eggs
                Protein Drink w/ AllOne and Yogurt (5)

Snack
                Think Thin Bar (2)

Lunch
                Chicken Breast
                4 c Spinach (1)

Snack
                2 Turkey / Mozerella Roll Ups (1)

Dinner
                Chicken Parmesean
                (home made marinara - no sugar) (6)
                4 c Spinach (1)

Desert
                Low Carb Yogurt (3)

OK... I'm off!

Remember to DRINK WATER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Atkins, Week Two

I want to join

Actually ate peanut butter(the only thing I could hold dow, and forced it down)this morning, but will go carb free for the 2 week induction, I will check out this thread now, guess I haven't ventured onto it until now, interesting, could stand to lose some body fat, and what motivation to go AF!! Just plain full of carbs, and empty calories!!

Thanks meditation mamma!!:thanks:

love you !!!! MA:h :l
                  :rays:My happiness is my greatest gift to others:rays:eace:

Comment

Atkins, Week Two

hi atkins folks
                    I was bad today.
                    well started off ok
                    low carb protein shake for breakfast

then I was at a meeting for 3 hrs and became ravenous
                    I brought
                    roasted chicken with watercress and daikon salad with ponzu dressing
                    (lemon, and soy sauce) some people ad sugar but I know that is not allowed.

I made the mistake of not making servings large enough. so I got a small wonton soup.
                    (bad dolly)
                    I have to go to the gym tonight and burn those wontos off.

I know I lost weight, my pants are loose. will check at the gym tonight. after I work off those wontons

drank wine last night but didn't get drunk. me good
                    You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

Atkins, Week Two

MM I love boiled eggs too

Comment

Atkins, Week Two

Oh, I am feeling lazy today, so I thought I better post and pack my lunch. This is the kind of day that I would just bolt out of the house and then eat whatever. And I am still not feeling well, so I know it would be crappy... so here goes...

Today

Breakfast
                        Protein Hake w/ AllONe and Low Carb Yogurt (5)
                        Boiled Egg

Snack
                        Think Thin Bar (2)

Lunch
                        4 c Spinach and Sirloin Steak Strips (1)

Snack
                        2 Turkey & Low Fat Moxerella Rollups (1)

Dinner
                        TBA - going out w/ hubby.. I will eat LOW CARB..I WILL EAT LOW CARB...I WILL EAT LOW CARB... no bread...no whites... (I'm :shocked: trying to hypnotize myself)

So I know I have about 10 carbs.. I will wat the good ones and cary my Atkins Carb Counter with me.. I will be prepared. Tomorrow will be hard enough, so I have to make sure I don't blow it tonight.. then I will deal with tomorrow, tomorrow..

Have a great day!!

MM

Comment

Atkins, Week Two

hi all
                          had a boiled egg and steamed veggies (napa cabbage, chrysanthemum leaves) for breakfast and lots of tea.

lunch grilled shrimp salad. mostly greens.

tonight for dinner I will have stir fried beef with bok choy scallions and peppers.
                          I am craving something sweet, it's making me crazy any suggestions?

Comment

Atkins, Week Two

Hey, Trixie.. sorry was out last night...

My sweet fix, fixes:

I have Chocolate and Caramel Sugar Free Calcuim Chews

PowerBar makes a bar called Pria Low Carb. They have a bunch of yummy flavors. I love the cookies and caramel - only 2 carbs!

I have some Sugar-Free hard candy - that lasts a long time and usually does the trick.

Sugar-Free jello.... I know silly, but good - I like to add Sugar Free Cool Whip (3 carbs, but still within limits)

Also, I have some good sweet herbal teas.. that usually starts to calm me down.

And lastly, the l-glutamine helps a lot. I am going to start taking it in the evenings again.

Just a few ideas....

MM

Comment

Atkins, Week Two

Thanksgiving away from home!

Well, I think I am mentally prepared. I will be out all afternoon and evening at two parties. i am brining appetizers, so I made sure to have some things I could eat. I will just have to stay away from the crackers.. aargh.. love them! Also, no potatoes, lots of veggies and lots and lots of TURKEY!

This is my first big day out, so I will let you know how I do...

Had a protein Shake and two eggs for breakfast.

Lunch will be Curry Chicken Salad on Romaine.

Then I'm off.. I will try to leave the house full so i don't do a head-dive for theCheese and Crackers! I'll just eat the cheese.....

MM

Comment

Working...
                              X