Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Campral

Hi Dr Garcia,
    I saw my Doc today and asked him about the Topamine and Doxylamine Succinate as mentioned in my previous post to you.

He explained that the DS is not good for me to take with alcohol as it has a double up effect - ie: if I drink 3 glasses of wine with DS it effects me like 9 glasses. So not good for the liver.

H also said as far as he knew Topamine is only prescribed for Epilepsy in Australia so he may not be able to prescribe it to me. I am still waiting for the book & CD to arrive but gave him the website and he is checking it out. It may even be illegal for him to prescribe me Topamine in Australia for any purpose other than Epilepsy. I'll let you know when I find out for sure.

In the meantime he suggests I have bloodtests and then maybe start with a drug called CAMPRAL instead to help with withdrawal symptoms.

I am still not sure about Campral as I had hoped to avoid the withdrawal as you mention in your reply to the post 'Cold Turkey'. The information sheet I read on Campral is at www.alcpharm.med.usyd.edu...tions.html

So please let me know what you think of all this.
    I still intend to go ahead with the program but may have to do without Topa. I read in 'my story' about another Aussie girl who did the program with some success but without Topa. This is probably why.

Best Wishes
    MFM

Campral

Hi MFM and sorry I wasn't able to get to this before your appointment.

You'll find a lot of information about Campral in the research and discussion area of this website. The discussion board includes many posts from others who began as you did and they undoubtedly had similar concerns. I recommend reading the Best of the Board section and encourage you to review past messages on this topic.

The MWO program includes supplements, herbs, and other elements to help ease you through the withdrawal period, regardless of the anti-craving medication you select. Many who begin with Topamax intend to be abstinent. And many who select controlled drinking also follow the recommendations in the book by starting with an initial period of complete abstinence.

If your doctor feels you are in more serious shape and require medical intervention as you transition to Campral, he/she can help. I hope you will bring this up if it is a concern. Various medications can lessen the withdrawal symptoms during this initial period. I find my patients generally do not need them using this program, but it's certainly something to take up with your provider.

Good work getting started.

--Dr. Garcia

Comment

Working...
    X