Went to Doc today...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Went to Doc today...

After college I had quit drinking for about 12 years. About two years ago I started drinking very moderately again. Unfortunately, I went through a very tough time in my life with a huge amount of stress and personal issues. I used drinking to "numb" my feelings of anxiety and stress. This was a bad idea because the drinking got progressively worse.

Over the last 12 months I had been drinking pretty heavily. Beer mainly with occasional bouts with wine or margaritas. I steered clear of the real hard stuff as I don't like it. I would binge 1-2 times a week and stay up most of the night while doing so. It wasn't uncommon for me to drink 12-18 beers during a binge period...or 2 bottles of wine instead of beer (or some combination thereof). I would then go maybe 24-36 hours without drinking. Then I would start over more moderately with 6-8 beers. After another 24 hours or so I would binge heavily again.

Anyway...today I had enough. I was progressively feeling worse over this time frame (12 months). Hangovers were no longer headaches...they were worse than that. Shaking, trembling, anxiety, rapid heartbeat, difficult breathing, insomnia, vivid dreams, exhaustion, etc. I had a few incidents where my blood pressure escalated, I felt dizzy, nearly fainted, flushing, tingling, and rapid heartbeat. I was in the hospital, and they ran an EKG, CT Scan, etc. but tests came back negative. Unfortunately, I didn't believe it was the drinking causing the problem and so probably didn't give the doctors a fair assessment of how much I had been drinking. A true nightmare really.

I went to the doctor today and explained in full disclosure of what I had been doing to myself. This was the hardest part...admitting that my moderate drinking had progressed to a full blown problem and now I needed help because I couldn't seem to quit without severe withdrawal symptoms.

He was very sympathetic and gave me a shot of Antivan which calmed me almost immediately. He also prescribed me clorazepate which from reading about is commonly used to treat alcohol withdrawal syndrome (especially anxiety). He gave me enough for 5 days and insisted I follow-up with my Primary Care Physician this coming Monday. He sent me home after about an hour of supervision of my vitals, etc.

I came home and ate and slept like a baby for 6 hours with none of the symptoms I have been having previously. I feel calm and relaxed and MUCH more like myself.

Anyway...for those of you who are suffering through any of these withdrawal symptoms I would highly urge you to go see your doctor. That was the hardest part for me and honestly having been through it today I wish I would have done it months ago. There is hope and they can help you! I am feeling so much better now and am optimistic about breaking this cycle I have been through.

I hope this helps someone...

-Swami

Went to Doc today...

Hi Swami,

Thanks for your post.

So many of us are so afraid to fess up to our doctors for fear of being judged.

When I finally confessed to mine she explained that she had been sober for nine years.

A wise woman on these boards just said "there is no shame in being physically dependent on alcohol" and she is right.

I hope those needing to read your wise words do and are encouraged to take this all important step.

Thanks again,

magic xx
    ~Are you looking for the Holy One?
    I am in the next seat.
    My shoulder is against yours. ~Kabir

Comment

Went to Doc today...

Hi Swami and welcome.
      Well done to you for seeking the help of your doc. It`s not an easy thing to do, but guarantees you the best of care for your withdrawal.

Wishing you love and strength,

Starlight Impress x

Comment

Went to Doc today...

Thanks magic and Star. I appreciate the kind words! Today is day #3 AF for me. The meds have helped tremendously. I have no cravings whatsoever. The doc explained that this particular med blocks certain receptors in the brain that signal your body that you need more alcohol. It "tricks" the brain into thinking you already have it...without all the nasty side effects. So far, it's working great for me....and has allowed me to sleep and be anxiety free.

After reading so many posts about those that are struggling with the idea of having a drink, etc. I really wish more would just go to their doctor and get some meds to help. It sure has helped me...

Thanks again for the support and kind words...

-Swami

Comment

Went to Doc today...

Hi Swami!

Glad to hear you are feeling better today!

I also finally went to my doctor and my acupuncturist (she is my eastern medicine doc), and told them both that I needed to quit drinking. It was very scary, but also VERY liberating and took a huge load off my shoulders. I wasn't drinking quite as much so I din't have withdrawls, but I did request a prescription of Topamax. She know all about using it for alcohol cravings and was happy to give it to me. I know it definately helps me! I only take 50mgs in the evening. I am a huge believer in mixing eastern and western medicine and philosophy for healing this disease. My acupuncturist does a balancing treatment on me every other week, and she also gives me acupressure "pins" (they are little stickers), that she places in my ear in the area of craving to help.

So, with all this said, I am on a wonderful path and I wish you the same.

Namste,

MM
          Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them, but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.

Comment

Went to Doc today...

Hi MM. I have been researching Topamax and when I visit my doc this coming Monday I am going to ask about it as well. Please reply back and let me know how it is working for you!

P.S. I love the Green Tara avatar!

Namste,

-Swami

Comment

Went to Doc today...

Swami~

I really like the Topamax. I started taking it back in the spring and took took it according to the plan outlined in mYO, but it was too much for me. I went off and drank for the summer. I went back on in August, starting with 25mgs, then going up to 50mg, and I will go up to 75mgs for the holidays. I know when I don't ake it my resistance is down and my cravings get the better of me. If I take it I don't even "think" about stopping to pick up wine. So, for me it works.. I have tried with and without, I definately feel it helps! There is a thread that talks about Topamax specifically and you can read a lot of people talk about it. If you get it, make sure you come and post becasue there are a lot of people taking it and we can help you....

MM
              Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them, but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.

Comment

Went to Doc today...

I've made the decision to see my doctor tomorrow....how much more humiliating can it be to talk to him than some of the horribly humiliating things I've done and said while drunk????? It's so encouraging to know that meds may actually help....mmama, when the thought doesn't occur to me to stop for wine or ANYTHING to drink......then maybe I'll truly realize there is hope for a drinker like me. Thank you all for you honesty. :h

Comment

Went to Doc today...

USMgirl,

I know exactly how you are feeling. I felt the same way. You build it up in your mind to be some monumental issue about telling your doctor. However, it's one of the easiest things I have done. It's much harder to go through what you have been feeling. It really was one of the least painful things compared to what you have been experiencing.

I wish you the best and I know once you do this you will feel a LOT better.

-Swami

Comment

Went to Doc today...

excellent Swami I had a similar experience...I think the anticipation of getting real with this issue is the hardest part. once you've jumped into the swimming pool you realize it's ok.

yeah!
                    nosce te ipsum
                    (Know Thyself)

Comment

Went to Doc today...

swami well done , Ive been to the doctor several times and I am also seeing a psychologist regularly, Its all good I have cut down my drinking more than I could have imagined, the most valuable tool that I have though is all of my friends here at mwo , without them, I certainly wouldnt still have my family, I just love you all so much. this place is a lifesaver.

love max
                      "From now on, walking is my beer and feeling good is my hangover" .....Homer Simpson

Comment

Went to Doc today...

Hi USMgirl,
                        Please don`t feel humiliated by telling your doc about your drinking. I did and found him most understanding.........our docs have seen and heard it all before and more.......

Starlight Impress x

Comment

Went to Doc today...

Swami,

I am so very glad for you that you went to a doctor and discussed your problems. It is difficult to admit this issue with any human being, I know, but if we don't tell our doctors how can we hope to heal?

The clorazepate is a benzo, which is an anti-convulsant and quite frequently used in alcohol withdrawal. That means you are going through the withdrawal safely.

The protocol in rehab is 5 days on an anti-convulsant starting high and titrating down - in my case during rehab they used Phenobarbitol - which is a very old anti-convulsant barbituate, and I am sure very cheap because of it. LOL

I didn't really need it as I had been trying to quit for months and had become more of a binge drinker than an every day drinker but I did watch so many who came in shaking, tremors, vomiting, etc, that were suddenly able to get through the withdrawal without much difficulty.

Now, the real work begins. Withdrawal is only a piece of the puzzle. Once you feel better, the "stinkin' thinkin'" begins.

I hope the topamax helps you. It has helped so many on this site!! If not, do not despair, many here have stayed AF without it. (I suffered rashes, etc, and could not use it.)

My doctor gave me Campral, which helps the brain adjust to pre-alcohol chemistry faster than without it. Many call it an anti-craving drug but my doctor said that is not actually the case, the brain just heals faster, which does help in some ways. He recommended I continue using it for about a year.

Good luck with your future and remember, it is not easy but so definitely worth it.

Cindi
                          AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Went to Doc today...

Starlight Impress;229245 wrote: Hi USMgirl,
                            Please don`t feel humiliated by telling your doc about your drinking. I did and found him most understanding.........our docs have seen and heard it all before and more.......

Starlight Impress x
                            Starlight.....I just LOVE your name....something about it makes one feel hopeful....or maybe it's just that it's Christmas time....anyway...I love it and I appreciate your post (s) to me. I felt very comfortable today with my doc, a kind of release, I think....we'll see how things work out with the topa....I'm so hopeful and anxious at the same time.....
                            Thank you for your concern. :l (I've said this before.....I'm from the south...we love everybody dahlin'.)

Comment

Went to Doc today...

Swami;228816 wrote: USMgirl,

I know exactly how you are feeling. I felt the same way. You build it up in your mind to be some monumental issue about telling your doctor. However, it's one of the easiest things I have done. It's much harder to go through what you have been feeling. It really was one of the least painful things compared to what you have been experiencing.

I wish you the best and I know once you do this you will feel a LOT better.

-Swami
                              Swami, It really was easy...he wasn't as receptive at first as I would have wanted him to be, but he listened and we worked it out. I got the script and we'll see how it works. He is very close to me and wants to monitor me closely....so I feel good about that .....
                              I'm ready for a DF December.....I'm ready....thank you for you time and your attention...

Comment

Working...
                              X