Could I be FAT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could I be FAT?

I was at Boots a couple days ago, and they have this machine thingy (yeh, I think that's the official name). So, it measures your BMI and other stuff (costs a pound). I lost the little ticket that comes out of the machine, but I came out great on the BMI and other stuff (actually I am pretty low, being a skinny bitch), BUT my concern is that my body fat was really high... anyone know anything about this?
    Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Could I be FAT?

I know EVERYTHING about this - listen closely - THE MACHINE IS USELESS!!!

If you are a healthy body weight and you exersice regularly and you like the way your clothes fit then you have nothing to worry about!

It's just another way to make people feel awful.
    It always seems impossible until it's done....

Comment

Could I be FAT?

These machines "measure" body fat by electrical resistance.

They pass a tiny electric current through your body and measure the body's resistance - from that and information about your weight, sex and other stuff you may have been asked to input, will ESTIMATE your fat content.

There are MANY reasons why this can be VERY inaccurate, if you had to hold two handles while you were being measured, the dryness or dampness of your hands would have an effect, as would the cleanliness of the handles, as would your state of hydration, as would how much muscle you are carrying compared to the "average" female used in the assumptions in the calculations, as would the humidity of the air etc etc etc ....yawn.

Don't worry - as Flip the Fabulous says - if you are indeed a "skinny bitch" your body fat will probably be just fine.

Here is a laff - I am "lean and mean" with LOW body fat from years of serious nutter type exercise - and because I am leaner and more muscly than the average guy - my BMI calculation says I am borderline overweight!
      Even some doctors / health practitioners who have measured my BMI do not know that BMI is inaccurate for my body type - some of them are scratching their heads and saying - well you sure dont LOOK overweight.

All these standard measures are compromises and are based on "average" people - guess it just goes to show - we are "special".

Love

Satori

xxx
      "Though there are many paths at the foot of the mountain - all those who reach the top see the same moon - as any fule kno"

Comment

Could I be FAT?

Flip on the other hand.......despite these machines inaccuracies - I feel from your piccy there that you just MIGHT be carrying a couple of extra pounds there .

Love

satori

xxx
        "Though there are many paths at the foot of the mountain - all those who reach the top see the same moon - as any fule kno"

Comment

Could I be FAT?

How observant of you darling, and thank you for pointing that out, I don't think I would have realised it by myself.
          It always seems impossible until it's done....

Comment

Could I be FAT?

phew, thanks Satori. I was really wondering. Like, where is that little spare tire? My bones are showing and I'm too fat? Well, I guess if you compare me to a street urchin in Bombay, yes... but anyway. It was a silly question, but it did make me wonder. And if only I could give a little of that deadweight to someone who needs it. In Bangladesh, for example. Same goes for that yummy glass of ice-cold water from the tap that I help myself to every hour or so. And Flip, you could probably feed a family of 5 on that flab of yours for a few weeks. Ouch.
            Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Working...
            X