Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will it work for me?

Dr. Garcia,

How do you know if this is the right program to overcome your drinking. Yes I drink everyday and at least 10 drinks a day and I have started drinking earlier during the week. I often drink too much at social events to the point of embarassment to myself and my husband. Does this mean I am an Alcoholic and need to completely abstain or can it be managed. I find I only really drink bourbon to excess and it is easier said than done to just choose another drink.

Please help!!!

Will it work for me?

Hi, Curious.

I would say that you have a significant problem with alcohol based on the amount and type of drinks you?re consuming. I'm glad that you are being honest with yourself, questioning where this is headed and identifying ways to stop it.

Some people can become moderate drinkers and this is described in the book and research forum under Moderation Management. The program to achieve this is short-term total sobriety followed by limited, regulated consumption. I don?t know that it is as achievable with regular consumption of bourbon or hard spirits, at least based on the experience of my patients.

I would like to suggest that you spend some time on the website (research forum and discussion forum especially) and gain as much knowledge as you possibly can about alcohol dependency and various treatment methods. There are a number of approaches and MWO is only one of them. You?ll want to find the best program to fit your drinking type, history, personality and goals.

I would also discuss your concerns with your husband and get his input about the situation before making a decision.

I find that once my patients get the receptors in the midbrain quieted down (i.e. the craving is gone ) they don't want to risk flaring up the whole destructive addiction again.

Good work in looking honestly at this issue....

--Dr. Garcia

Comment

Working...
    X