Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday, July 14h

Morning Absville...

Not such a good morning today...feeling sad because we lost a dear friend, a wonderful old man who was a bit of a guardian angel to us...he mentored my partner through a difficult time in a new job and then continued to watch out for us over the years...he was a remarkable man who left communist Romania decades ago, had a great life and friends all over the world.

In some ways it's a blessing that he's gone because he had been very ill for the last couple of years...but we will so miss knowing that he is in the world....he was much loved by many people.

Oddly, last weekend I found a packet of seeds that he had given us a few years ago from his amazing vegetable and flower garden in Queens... Beans, I think they are...I hope they'll grow in Vermont...

This weekend let's all remember to tell the special people in our lives that we love them...

And now I'm passing the wheel back to our wondrous Deirdre for the next week because, guess what? You all DESERVE it!

I'll check in later on...
    :P
    susan

"Life is either a daring adventure or it's nothing."
    Helen Keller

Friday, July 14h

Hi all. Day 19.Got that awful friday feeling again.Just got to keep busy an keep my mind off it.

Susan,So sorry for your loss.I hope fond memories may lift your spirits. lluf.

Comment

Friday, July 14h

lluf and all - Friday night is hard - I know. Hang on in there.

"Don't compromise yourself. You're all you've got".
      (Janis Joplin)

Tawny

Comment

Friday, July 14h

Good morning all! Susan, I'm very sorry for your loss, but the beans might be a blessing. Let's hope they'll grow for you.

It's raining here and has been quite the frog-strangler storm off and on, so thank heavens I'm teleworking right now and don't have to hit the road until Sunday!

I think I'll be like a duck today (they are in the front yard) and just let any problems that crop up roll off my back and not get under my skin. That should make for a lovely day!

I hope you all have a great day...and for your sugar cravings! Say no with some slow cooking irish oatmeal, add some stevia (healthy sweetener that is good for your body), some cinnamon (helps keep blood sugar stable) and then add some fruit if you like (blueberries?). You'd be surprised at how good you feel after a cup of this.

Matt, love your smoothie ideas...that's always the best way to make them and the protein in the shake helps keep you stable to so the fruits give you the nice, long lasting energy!:b

Yum...

Comment

Friday, July 14h

Here's some more diet stuff from The Diet Cure, written by Julie Ross. It backs up what RJ's book has, in addition to much of the other research that we know about....I'll end up getting the full book because it isn't in any libraries and I like to keep the research handy.

Working with drug addicts and alcoholics, Ross heard that nutritional supplements could stop their cravings ? even for cocaine. When she began using them, she found they lowered those cravings, and also their craving for sweets. In 1988 she opened a clinic for people with eating disorders and weight problems. When she used the same nutrients that she had given drug and alcohol addicts, she found that the supplements ?stopped food cravings even more effectively than drug cravings, and had the delightful side effect of eliminating mood swings, too.? (p. xx).

So what are the miraculous nutrients? Amino acids, the building blocks of proteins. From them your brain makes ?its most powerful pleasure chemicals? or neurotransmitters:

Serotonin ?natural Prozac?

Dopamine/norepinephrine ?natural cocaine?

Endorphin ?naturally stronger than heroin?

GABA ?naturally more relaxing than heroin.?

EIGHT STEPS

Ross presents eight steps ?to overcoming the physical, bodily handicaps that can lead directly to food cravings, emotional eating, low energy, and weight gain.? (xxi) These are

1. Correcting brain chemistry imbalances causing anxiety, depression, and emotional eating.

2. Ending low calorie dieting, which creates eating, mood, energy, and weight problems.

3. Balancing unstable blood sugar which causes moodiness and sweet/starch cravings

4. Repairing low thyroid function, especially low thyroid function that doesn?t show up on the most-used test.

5. Overcoming addictions to foods you?re allergic to.

6. Calming hormonal havoc, which causes food craving and weight gain.

7. Eradicating yeast overgrowth, often triggered by antibiotics or cortisone and causing carbohydrate cravings.

8. Fixing fatty acid deficiency.

The Diet Plan then devotes a full chapter to explaining each of these steps and the problems they address. Without examining every one, let?s concentrate on the amino acid supplements that are crucial to her plan. In her Washington presentation she outlined four carbohydrate-addicted brain types.

Type 1 is low in serotonin. These people show depression, negativity, obsessiveness, PMS, irritability, rage, panic attacks, late day cravings, insomnia, fibromyalgia. Since they are low in serotonin they need the precursor to serotonin, the amino acid L-tryptophan (available now as 5-HTP) in the mid afternoon and evening. (She also discusses the tragic events of 1989 when some bad batches of L-tryptophan killed 40 people and made many other ill. In response the FDA stopped all US sales, although an investigation showed that one Japanese company had produced all the contaminated batches. 5-HTP -- 5-hydroxytryptophan -- is a different version of tryptophan.) Tryptophan occurs naturally in many foods, but plentifully in turkey.)

TYPE 2 is low in endorphin. These folks are very sensitive to pain (emotional or physical), cry easily, and crave treats (food or drugs). D-Phenylalanine can help them.

TYPE 3 is low on GABA (gamma amino butyric acid). Symptoms here include stiff, tense muscles, stressed and burned out feeling, inability to relax. GABA is not an amino acid, but is available as a nutritional supplement.

TYPE 4 is low in norepinephrine. Since norepinephrine serves the body as a sort of natural caffeine, people who are depressed, lack energy, drive, or focus, or have attention deficit disorder may benefit from supplementing with L-tyrosine.

Finally, L-glutamine tends to benefit all four types.

Susan and Lib came back convinced that amino acids were the answer to all our problems but money. Justin and I were elected guinea pigs, on the grounds that we are occasionally somewhat irritable. I would vehemently dispute this, but never mind. Let?s get on with the book review.

We started taking these five supplements ? 5 HTP, D-Phenylalanine, GABA, L-Tyrosine, and L-Glutamine. Then we all watched to see what would happen. I do suspect that a certain sweetness and patience and energy that we had not manifested before might have crept into our behaviour. All right, I?ll admit it. We were both less irritable, and the effects (as Ross predicts) were evident within 24 hours.

CHANGING YOUR DIET

Ross also has much to say about dieting ? much that is both welcome and accurate. Rather than the usual carbohydrate (sweet and starch) laden American diet, she recommends much more fruits and vegetables, lots of protein (Take that, vegetarians!) and plenty of healthy fats and carbohydrates. In fact, she recommends a diet of 3,000 calories or more a day. [Actually, Ross is very considerate of vegetarians.] ?If you have been a `serious? dieter, your average daily food intake in calories may have dropped below the amount provided at the dreaded Nazi camp at Treblinka: 900 per day.? According to the World Health Organization, ?starvation begins under 2,100 calories per day.?

Thus what you may have suspected all along is true: you need food to live. Dieting truly is stupid, so break out the butter and steak and chow down.:h Anyone for a good steakhouse meeting?

Comment

Friday, July 14h

Friday, July 14th.

Good morning to all,
            another night has passed and I slept like a log. Had to crawl out of this deep hole this morning - no hangover.
            My sleep pattern must be on the mend, because it has been years since I slept like than unaided. Going to a birthday party tonight and will allow myself a Perrier/Chardonnay spritzer sipped sloooooooooowly. Nobody will be any wiser about my programme.
            Susan, I am sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. Some people were born to leave such an impact on their environment, how fortunate you had the pleasure of knowing such an individual. Perhaps you can broadcast the beens and their offsprings as your friend had given so freely of himself.
            Lori
            P.S.
            A question for cv. For a week now I have had this nagging low level headache. I checked my blood pressure but it's not that bad. I'm not drinking, I should not have a headache?????
            Lori

Comment

Friday, July 14h

Re: Friday, July 14th.

Susan, so sorry to hear of your loss.

CV, the research you find is amazing. I wish I understood some of it better, but the info on diet makes a lot of sense. I have been very frustrated that abs has not translated into any weight loss. Now I am thinking I am going about it the wrong way. I need to look for that book. Thanks for sharing.

It is looking like a hot, humid weekend here. I need to find some things to do to keep busy.

Comment

Friday, July 14h

Hey Lori, the low level headache is normal. Even though you are not drinking (Yeah!) it still takes your system some time to detox and complete withdrawal symptoms. If you've cut back on coffee or other caffeine drinks...that can cause it too! Generally, a week to 10 days to clear your system and if your liver is overloaded, you can help it with some NAC and milk thistle. Your liver is about the only body organ that can completely regenerate itself too. It takes about seven weeks to clear the liver initially, following the right diet, but the liver regenerates itself about every 18 months..

Hang in there and drink a lot of water or other healthy liquids. It will help flush out the toxins and help your body heal any inflammation.:d

Comment

Friday, July 14h

So sorry for your loss Susan, hope your memories can bring you some comfort.

Thanks Brigid for sticking around these past few days. You can just see the evolution of our forum, and it's inevitable that we'll need your perspective as we grow.

CV, thanks for your great information each day. What you bring to this group is unbelievable.

Welcome welcome Kathy! I have been where you are at least 100 times. I guess that's how those of us abstaining (or attempting) landed here in the first place. Moderation would be great, but so far I have failed miserably. One thing that can be said for abstaining is that it works every time! I can't say the same when I try to moderate.

So glad for everyone here. Hope your day is sweet.

Lori

Comment

Friday, July 14h

July 14

Dear cv.
                    Thanks for your reply. There is nothing like that I can buy in this cow village that I live in. I will have to bring a list the next time I go to a larger centre. I do have a real aversion toward plain water. I like to wash myself with it or swim in it, but can only ingest it in the form of herbal tea, light, homemade lemonade or coffee. I usually have a bottle of water in the car for emergencies, but after a few days it's probably a toxic waste site. I hate all pop and sodas. It's a pot of coffee in the morning, herbal tea in the afternoon and perrier in the evening, as I have to watch my salt intake as well.
                    Thanks for your educated and patient advise to us all.
                    Thanks Dr. cvmom

Comment

Friday, July 14h

July 14

Hi Sistahs,

Seems I'm the only guy to stick around. What's up with that?:eek

I'm gearing up for a second test of will tonight. A close family friend is back intown after a long holiday and will be taking us to dinner. He's a very generous person and likes to splurge on fine food and of course fine wines at restaurants. I'm looking forward to seeing him and having a great dinner but am of course feeling edgy already (in the am) about not having any vino.

I know I'll make it through just fine even though he's one of my favorite drinking buddies. He's the kind of friend who'll be very supportive of my new life and will probably even order and drink less in my presence. I'll go armed with some extra L-glut to take if needed and I'll enjoy the dinner and company no matter what.

Just wanted to get that off my chest and move on. Thanks for all your support abster friends.

Loved the Helen Keller quote!

How did we all get so lucky to be here with Dr. CV and gracious big sister Brigid?

Matt

Comment

Friday, July 14h

'Morning stainers,

Day 38 out of 39 here. 38 smiley faces, Gabby. Now drop and give me 39!

Susan, I'm sure you'll miss your friend. You just never know how much someone will impact life. Every time you look at those beans growing, you'll be reminded of all those life's lessons he shared with you...

This must be one of those days for unusual posts because my Grandmother passed away last night too. She exited this world with the same class and dignity she lived in this world with... At 95 years old, mentally sharp as a tack and a devout Christian, she simply went to sleep. By now she's prolly blissfully strolling arm in arm down golden streets with her lovely Lord. Good for you, Granny!

HAPPY - FOR GRANNY'S NEWEST ADVENTURE - NOT HUNGOVER FRIDAY Y'ALL!

Comment

Friday, July 14h

For Jane

Dear Jane,
                          so sorry to hear that your grandmother passed on. Yes,
                          she is probably having an intense chat with the big G.
                          Perhaps you can dig out some of your old photos this weekend in rememberance.
                          Love Lori: c

Comment

Friday, July 14h

Re: For Jane

Lori,

It's weird, but just like Susans beans... My daughter recently found a copy of a poem that I'd written to my Grandmother back in 1993! So, it was actually sitting on my desk when I got the call.

I'll miss her. But she's got BETTER things to do now...

Comment

Working...
                            X