Nervous

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nervous

I've been reading many posts regarding Topamax and mental 'fogginess'. At first I took that to mean mild forgetfulness or drowsiness but it seems people have trouble recalling words and spelling. If this side effect occurs when does it usually happen or is it different for everyone...and how long does it last? I am not looking for a smooth and easy fix (although that would be nice) but I will not be able to work if this happens to me. I'm wondering if I should abandon the Topomax and start with the rest of the program. I want to do what is most effective...but like I said...I'm getting a bit nervous.

Nervous

Hi, Lilly.

It?s sometimes difficult to predict. This is a wonderful medication to help you get control of alcohol addiction, but there are no perfect medications. Why not try it in conjunction with the program and titrate very slowly. If things get fuzzy, maintain at that dose. I encourage people to use the 3000 mg. 3x daily of kudzu and incorporate a plan of their aerobic exercise 4-5 times per week. Gunpowder green tea (the real stuff) using one or 2 teaspoons per teapot clears the cobwebs, as well.

If, after that, you still have cravings and need a higher dose of Topamax, Provigil at 100 mg per day can helps diminish fuzzy thinking. This is also nicely summarized in the book but I prefer natural therapeutics first--then pharmacology if necessary. If you still have concerns, consider Campral or Naltrexone .

Thanks for the great question and keep up working at it. If you do you will get the program that is best for you.

--Dr. Garcia

Comment

Working...
    X