Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time to quit Topamax?

Hi Dr.
    I have been doing MWO with Topamax for 2 weeks now as directed in the book. I was very impressed in the first five days with the craving reduction. Then, just before stepping up to 50mgs, I overdrank. For the next several days, I went up to the 50 mgs and have been miserable ever since. Partly due to the flu, and other side effects I've grappled with all along, confusion, disorientation, and forgetfullness. I am considering throwing in the towel on this medication as my profession as an educator requires a sharp mind. I can't even spell sometimes. I feel heartbroken because I really believed this was MY way out. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Lori

Time to quit Topamax?

Don't give up. The symptoms will pass. Up the dosage. You will read that for some there are sweet spots where at lower dosages they feel worse than at higher dosages. Not being able to spell sometimes is a small price to pay for not being drunk all the time. I didn't mean to put it so bluntly-but if you think about it like this, then how do you feel?

I am sorry, I don't know your particular situation, I have just been able to see the great effects of this medication. It hasn't been an overnight success for me, but it has helped me feel like there is help for me.

Please give it and yourself a chance.

-Nina

Comment

Time to quit Topamax?

Hi Nina, Thanks for the reply. I do know what you mean and believe me I don't want to give up. But I do feel much better having gone back down to 25mg a day. I was feeling pretty manic besides the other things I mentioned. After the flu has passed, I will step up slowly again because I really do want to be successful in this program. Thanks for your help.
      Lori

Comment

Time to quit Topamax?

Hi.

Sorry about your shaky start, but keep going. The slower titration you've adopted may be helpful, as well. Do you have Kudzu from the Happy Herbalist? People often have several starts before the right program clicks. Often staying at the same low dose of Topamax while you increase the Kudzu and continue with the anti craving amino acids will help minimize the mental fogginess. You may have had the flu with unfortunate timing or you may retain lactate as a side effect of Topamax metabolism.

If you had a drinking episode while on Topamax this may have contributed to the dehydration and overall poor feeling. Don't be hesitant to switch to Acamprosate and add Naltrexone as needed, too.

By the way, the "throw in the towel concept" is probably related to still wanting to drink if things don't go easily and smoothly at first, as people often want to quit and go back to the bottle. I have heard this quite a few times and find that the Cognitive Behaviour Therapy usually works to get over this hurdle.

If you're still struggling, I would suggest a few counseling sessions as you get your medication program set up.

Hope this helps.

--Dr. Garcia

Comment

Time to quit Topamax?

RE:brain loss

As an educator I have some brain loss I assume to drinking. I have had much dajavu(sp) I am teaching and get a weird feeling I have done this before and get sick to my stomach. I forget so much is this due to the drinking, getting older, or what. I get scared

Comment

Working...
          X