Mixing Topa with other meds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am brand new to this site. Do not have the book yet but ordered from Amazon. My question is this: I have been taking 50 mg. of Zoloft for about 10 years. I also am taking a compounded HRT - are these drugs dangerous when combined with Topamax? I am 55. I began taking Kudzo yesterday. Thanks.

Not so much a reply as a follow up - I saw in another thread that antidepressants and topa are fine together. I am on seroxat/aropax for generalised anxiety order. I am wondering whether this would 'counteract' any anxiety caused by taking the topa and/or alcohol withdrawal. I am an expat, living in an Asian country and don't have a gp that I can speak to here yet.

Comment

Tppamax can cause you big probs in various ways that may stay with you. My advice - don't take it!

Comment

I am not sure that is good advice, Kath. Let's see what Dr. Garcia says! Many people have taken antidepressants and antianxiety drugs with topamax. This is definitely a medical issue-I don't know the answer but I'd hate to see someone discouraged from taking a possibly life saving drug.

Ann

Comment

Hi.

Sounds like the research area of this website can get you more background on the medication so you will feel more comfortable. Topamax is used for migraine suppression, seizure disorders, smoking cessation, bulimia and as an adjunct with certain antidepressants to decrease weight gain (Seroquel). It, like all other medications, has risks for side effects. Dr. Bankole Johnson in his Lancet study did not find any that were serious enough to halt the clinical trial.

Most people do well and with a slow titration. Some of the more common things like mental fuzziness and tingling of the extremities seem manageable. The weight loss is sometimes hard to overcome, as you simply are not as hungry as before and it may be difficult to force yourself to eat.

Hope you find this helpful.

--Dr. Garcia

Comment

Hi Kath (and all others who are concerned with medication side effects).

You are all correct to be cautious and empowered consumers because it is true that there is no "perfect treatment drug" for alcohol addiction.

"We are desperate for anything that might improve patient outcome or decrease the number of drinks consumed per day." This is a quote from Robert Forman of the Treatment Research Institute in Philadelphia.

Why are we concerned and working with medications that may have some side effects? All medications whether for heart failure or diabetes have side effects for certain people. We have to balance the risk and the benefit. With existing therapies only a scant 1/3 who are treated for alcohol addiction are in remission one year later.

The disease of alcohol addiction is progressive and, if unchecked, ultimately fatal. This is a very serious disease and those who have it require aggressive treatment so they can be free from an addiction that will ultimately destroy their chance for good health. I strongly suggest that you continue to work with your health care providers and seek the greatest team approach possible: nutritional support, medications, counseling. Continue to work so that your life is free of alcohol. Weigh the risk and benefit of all therapies.

Kath: if you liver is functioning as poorly as you report, it's even more important to be alcohol free so that if necessary you can qualify for a liver transplant. The University of Washington in Seattle is an excellent center and I'm sure they could send you and your medical provider information on the program.

Hope this helps put things into perspective.

--Dr Garcia

Comment

Working...
            X