Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deep Breathing

Friends,

I hope people don't get tired of my rehab stories, but many have asked about things I learned there and I want to keep sharing things I feel really help.

Most people here know this and do it but I have never been a real adherent of yoga or any of those things so I thought this really important to share.

Anxiety is a big trigger for us drinkers. Period. There are lots of ways to deal with anxiety but most of us have figured out the quickest fix is a quick fix of alcohol.

Now that I am no longer allowing myself that "fix," I need other ways to deal with anxiety.

One of the counselors, a fitness expert, showed us a really good yoga routine for relaxation and then also showed us a very good breathing exercise for anxiety.

You can either be laying down, sitting or standing up.
    You exhale through your mouth and contract your belly to fully expel the air.
    You then inhale through your nose, expanding your belly first, then your mid-chest, and then up to your top chest.
    Hold for a few seconds.
    Exhale through your mouth using the same number of counts or more it took you to inhale, going backwards from upper chest to mid-chest to belly and contract belly to expel.

Do this several times.

I found it AMAZING how anxiety and stress simply melted away. I practice this every time I start getting upset about anything and have gotten to the point where it is almost not even noticable to people around me.

No drugs, no alcohol, simple and free, just breathing. WOW!!

I am sure others here can explain how to do it better such as MM and Satori, but I did want to start this thread. It really is amazing and so simple.

One of my friends there actually was able to lower her blood pressure using this simple technique.

Cindi
    AF April 9, 2016

Deep Breathing

Keep your stories coming!

One of my favorites is Dr. Andrew Weil and he is a huge proponent of the breathing technique you described. I had a full-on anxiety attack a couple of weeks ago and did this and it really helped.
    I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Deep Breathing

Thanks Cindi,

I didn't go to rehab or detox and really need info like this on how to deal with anxiety without using alcohol.

Bethany

Comment

Deep Breathing

Me too Cindi - keep it coming! It's all been really great info for me. And very generous of you to share it.
        big hugs,
        wonder xxoo

Comment

Deep Breathing

Hi Cindi-
          I hadn't read this post earlier - but what a coincidence that it's the first I read this morning. Before I rose from bed I did some deep breathing, and remembered the immense value of doing so. I used to practice qi gong, and the breath is an integral component of the practice.

Deep breaths helped me get through my first AF stint. Each time I had a desire for a drink, I did several deep breaths - being truly present to them - and the desire just evaporated. I think it was successful because in being fully present to the moment and the breath, I got out of 'old pattern' - the thinking that I needed a drink, which just doesn't exist in the present moment, only in some old mindset. (hope that makes sense)

I think it's wonderfully generous of you to share these stories with us. Thank you!
          FINALLY -- I'm a non-drinker!!

Comment

Deep Breathing

I like the info too so please do keep it coming. I heard recently about how our breath deep in our lungs gets stale and breathing excercises are imperative for good health. Makes me want to do yoga to avoid stale air trapped but I do not like yoga! I am not flexible or coordinated in the least.

Comment

Deep Breathing

Breath is LIFE!

Here is the breathing exercise I do. It gets your Chi (life energy) moving. I do this in bed every morning before I get up. After I do this in bed I take a moment to stretch my whole body, legs, back, chest, arms, neck - everything. This takes that wonderful oxygen and chi and runs it through your whole body! You feel like you have had a workout and will be amazed how you feel when you rise - a very grounding way way to start your day!

Correct Breathing is the Base for a Healthier Life

Life starts and ends by taking a breath and it is obvious that we should fill out lives with good breathing habits. Our bodies needs a lot of oxygen to function properly and to help discard waste products like carbon monoxide. Every cell in our body actually needs lots of oxygen. Today many people are conscious about what they drink and what they eat but very few think about how they breath!

Breathing affects the whole body
              It affects the nervous system, the heart, the digestive system, muscles, sleep, energy levels, concentration and memory and much more. Breathing is also our largest system for waste removal. 70% of the waste products produced in our body is supposed to be removed via breathing. 30% is removed via the skin and only 10% remains for the kidneys and the digestive system.
              We not only breath in oxygen but also life energy (Qi or Chi in China, Ki in Japan, Mana in India).

A majority uses chest breathing
              Breathing is easily affected, become restrained or blocked. Our way of breathing is actually one of the first affected by stress and emotions. According to a resent study in Sweden 83% of the adult population uses chest breathing i.e. they only use the top part of the chest. This is a very uneconomical way of breathing as it uses more muscle power than the deeper and more relaxed abdominal breathing. People that use chest breathing take more breaths per minute and as a consequence receive less oxygen and get rid of less waste products.

Abdominal breathing - effective breathing
              Deep and effective breathing reaches all the way down to the abdomen. The abdomen expands forward, to the sides and also towards the spine. The breathing movement can be felt all the way down towards the pelvic area and up towards the top of the lungs. Abdominal breathing has a calming and relaxing effect as we take fewer and but more effective breaths. We absorb more oxygen and release more waste products with each breath. As an added bonus we also add more life energy, Qi, to our system by using abdominal breathing.

Don't use your chest - use your abdomen

Abdominal Breathing is like a return to childhood. Abdominal breathing not only makes us breath like we did when we where children, it can also rejuvenate bodily functions and organs. A child still unaffected by the habits and defense mechanisms we learn as adults, breathes naturally. If you ask a young child to lay down flat you can easily observe how he/she breathes in the rhythmic rise and fall of the abdomen as life energy is absorbed. My master referred to abdominal breathing as natural breathing and chest breathing as reversed breathing. Abdominal breathing can be considered as taught by nature, chest breathing is learned by the self.

Abdominal breathing exercise for a healthier life

How to do it:

[*]Lay on your back, flat against the floor (or bed)[*]Relax and free your mind from all thoughts (easier said than done but don't worry about it!)Rub your hands together brisklyPlace one palm (the left for men and the right for women) on your "Qihai" (Hara) point about 2 fingers below your navel. Place the other palm on top of the first one.[*]Open your mouth slightly[*]Press gently and smoothly inward on your abdomen with your palms. Breath out during a count to six.[*]Hold for a count of two[*]Release smoothly and breath in for a count of six.[*]Hold for a count of two. (This whole process of pressing, holding, releasing, holding is called a breathing unit)Repeat this whole process until you have done ten whole breathing units.Drop your arms to your sides and close your eyes if not already closed.Let go of everything and enjoy the state of "nothingness" for about five minutes or the time that feels right for you.When ready rub your hands together and "wash" your face with them.
              Here are a few tips for you: To do this correctly you breath out on pressing and breath in on releasing. In the beginning try and forget about the breathing it usually takes care of itself. Concentrate on the pressing and releasing. Practice once in the morning and once in the evening for a couple of weeks and see how you feel! As you go along you can add more units to your exercise. If you feel stressed, upset or tired this is a very good and quick exercise to revitalize yourself. There is a second and third stage of this exercise where you visualize bad energy leaving you when pressing and good energy entering when releasing.

It seems like a lot when you see it in word form, but you wil get it quite easily. it will become second nature - as it is.

Namaste,

MM
              Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them, but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.

Comment

Deep Breathing

Thanks MM!

I am doing this and it is really really helpful.

Thanks!

Comment

Deep Breathing

thank you cindi for starting this thread and thank you MM for posting the exercises.
                  I will try this in the am.
                  those breathing excercises are very similar to the ones that are taught to professional singers.
                  will try them on my break.

Trix
                  You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

Deep Breathing

thank you cindi, and please keep the advice coming.
                    also thank you MM, I've printed it out to get going.
                    Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Deep Breathing

Thanks Cindi and MM, I find it really interesting. I do have a book about breathing
                      excercises, I will have to start reading it. Yes please keep the advice coming.
                      Paula.

Comment

Deep Breathing

I think there is a breathing exercise for panic attacks whereas... when you inhale thru your nose, hold, and contract at your diaphragm or tightening your stomach muscles pulling your diaphragm up. Then slowly with your lips slightly parted let the air start slipping out of your mouth.
                        Thanks for reminding us of these tips. They are so good to know. I'm glad that we help each other like this. It's important!!!!
                        Sunny Out Looks are Contagious!

Comment

Deep Breathing

I use the StressEraser for breathing, LOVE it!

StressEraser — Stress Relief that Actually Works
                          Patience has its limits. Take it too far, and it's cowardice.
                          - George Jackson

Comment

Deep Breathing

Well the stress eraser looked fab until I saw the review that said it costs 300 bucks.
                            boo hoo, guess I will have to stick with low cost deep breathing...

Comment

Deep Breathing

Yes, I cringed at the price but then thought of all the time and money I've spent on my stress and insomnia and bit the bullet. I would have returned it if it didn't work, for sure.
                              Patience has its limits. Take it too far, and it's cowardice.
                              - George Jackson

Comment

Working...
                              X