Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thursday, July 13th

Good Morning Absville!

A little short on time this morning, but I just wanted to start things off with this thought:

"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening, that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost."

Martha Graham

:P
    susan

Thursday, July 13th

Good morning Absville

Good morning ......good morning.......Today is a much better day. I woke up with shiny eyes and bushy tail and will be trotting off for my morning walk along the lake. Thanks for all your support yesterday, I guess I am back on track. Can anyone tell my how to get these emoticons into the text box.
    Have a wonderful day.
    Lori

Comment

Thursday, July 13th

Morning All,

Yes, I am STILL here...I am just having the darndest time saying goodbye! No really, the plan is to pull out around noon so I am pretty much on schedule.

Anyway, Great quote Susan!! Along the same lines....

"There is an old Christain tradition that God sends each person into this world with a speccial message to deliver, with a special song to sing for others, with a special act of love to bestow. No one else can speak my message, or sing my song, or offer my act of love. These have been entrusted only to me."

John Powell L.J.

It is true, there is only one you, and blocking the force within you allows no one to hear what God intened for you to share!

Have a GREAT day all!

Donna

PS Lori, you just click on the emotion you want and POOF it appears! :d

Comment

Thursday, July 13th

Hi there Neighbors in Absville!

I've been checking out Absville and reading your posts, and it seems like a nice town to live in, pretty warm and cozy and friendly. I've been living in Modsville, but lately my little part of town has been going down hill, even though the rest of Modsville is still beautiful and the people are great. So I thought that it would probably be a good thing for me to move to Absville. I know I need to do it, because I haven't been happy with myself, and Absville looks more attractive to me, even though you all know that it can be scary to move!!:eek

Anyway, I write that all a little tongue in cheek, and I am cutting and pasting what I wrote in this morning's mods thread here:

"I know I keep saying this, but I am trying to work myself up to doing another period of abs. I go back and forth in my head, saying "Oh just do abs during the week" or "just have some AF days", but after a bit, I realize that I really felt better when I got some time not drinking under my belt. My ultimate goal has been to not have drinking be part of everyday life, but something I only do occasionally. If I'm ever going to get there, I'm going to have to stop f*rting around and get moving with it. It's scary though .......

I probably won't start until after the weekend, because for me, starting on a weekend is like asking for failure. Not because the weekend is "party time" but because there is so much free time, and I'm not very good at structuring myself. I do better when I have more to do and I can keep my mind off drinking.

Oh well, that's my post. I hope you all have a great day. There, I've committed this to cyber paper. Now all I have to do is click the button and send it off. What if I fail? Arrrgghh! Just click the button, Kath, just click it!"

At any rate, I woke up this morning, and I knew that I had to post on the abs forum today and "state my intentions". It feels both scary and liberating. I would like to start abstaining on Tuesday, because Tuesdays and Wednesdays are my busiest days and therefore the easiest for me to start on. Meanwhile, I am changing my suggestions on my hypno cd's, and going to up my topa on Sunday, and minimize my drinking as much as I can between now and Tuesday.

I don't know if I'll ever really be able to drink just occasionally, although I'd love to be able to do that. I don't want to think about it now. I just know that I miss the feeling that I had when I did have periods of abstinence, and I don't like how I feel about myself now.

I hope you all will welcome me and that you won't mind me posting here as I gear up for this.:eek I feel better already!

Hugs,:d
        Kathy

Comment

Thursday, July 13th

Welcome Dear Friend!!

All are welcome in absville!! I am just sorry I am leaving today! You are in good hands here though, believe me!! Love ya lots Kathy!!

Donna

Comment

Thursday, July 13th

Thursday July 13.

Dear Donna,
            You are still here. Let me wish you a wonderful vacation.
            Let the birds wake you up in the morning with their song.
            Pick a soft spot of pine needles to lay down your bed.
            Lie down in a meadow and watch the clouds changing shapes with your kids, chew a blade of grass and watch the ants go about their business. Be a child again and you will feel part of this wonderful universe.
            Love Lori

Comment

Thursday, July 13th

Re: Thursday July 13.

Hi All,
              Happy you joined us Kathy.
              Even tho the :evil is still lurkin around in some of my thoughts...I'm still AF and on day 37. Its not like I'm barely hangin on, but....i dont know....just know I wont stay AF forever. Not that that was ever my goal anyway. Somethin like now that I have these 37 days....what am I gonna do with em? Does that make sense? Worry about not handleing mod, but dont want AF. I dont know. Also hate to hear myself complain. To me...I sound like I am whinin. And I dont even like wine. Its beer. (that was very dry...the joke not the wine)
              well, off for a busy day with the kids. gabby

Comment

Thursday, July 13th

July 13

Welcome aboard Kathy! Glad to have ya!

Matt

Comment

Thursday, July 13th

Hey Gabby,

You don't sound like you are whining, you sound like you are trying to figure out what you do want for yourself in the future regarding alcohol. It's a hard thing to figure out. I know how I'd LIKE to be, but I don't know if that is possible. Good luck thinking it through!

Hugs,
                  Kathy

Comment

Thursday, July 13th

Welcome, Kathy!
                    Happy Camping, Donna!
                    Thanks for the lovely thoughts, Lori!
                    Always glad to see you, Matt!!
                    Don't hear you whining at all, Gabby!

Me, I'm a bit sluggish today...feeling lots of anxiety about a project I have put off for over a week...have to call some "important" people....guess I have a bit of a phone phobia....just another "challenge," I guess....
                    hugs, y'all!
                    :h
                    susan

Comment

Thursday, July 13th

Morin all in Absville,
                      It's good to be here with you!

Donna and Susan, I love the quotes and matches my feelings exactly.:h

Susan what do you mean..."important" people???:rolleyes
                      They should be "honered" to have YOU call them! Remember... "who's your Daddy"? LETS SEE....I THINK THAT MAKES YOU A "Princess"!
                      Gotta love that!!

Hi Matt and welcome Kathy to Absville......consider this the welcome wagon arriving at your door!

Hi Gabby.....37days is nothing to sneeze at!! I'm looking forward to that many days . Your sense of humor makes my day manytimes! :d Please stay in Absville!

Have fun camping, Donna.....if you ever get to the south, we have a rustic camping spot on our place. All of our kids have gone down there and tent camped by two brooks that come together at a point. Beautiful!

Susan....I too put off things...know what you mean....like right now Belle is pushing me out the door to go to buy her favorite thing....food.......!

Love you all....:h
                      Nancy and Belle "woof"

Comment

Thursday, July 13th

Re: Welcome Kathy

Kathy,

Your post cracked me up! I love having you as a new neighbor in Absville. Maybe you will add to the property value here, as I bring it down quite a bit- like trailer trash on the corner.

I am in awe of those who can moderate after having a problem with over indulgence. Maybe I will get there but for now living in Absville is a much safer place to be. I welcome you with open arms.

All the best-

Comment

Thursday, July 13th

Ok, One last post!

Yesto, what in Heaven?s name are you talking about lady? Please don?t talk about yourself like that! I think we our ALL valued members of this board and Kathy would be the first one to agree with that! You are one important person and don't you forget it!!

Gabby, listen to your heart! It speaks volumes!

Nancy, if I?m ever down south, I will be sure to stop by. It sounds beautiful!

Lori, I do believe that was nicest send off I have received! Thank you so much!

Susan, Good Luck with that project!! I agree with Nancy, they should be honored to be talking to you!!

Marcie, good luck with your shot tomorrow!

Kathy, keep up the good fight!!

Jane, Matt, GS, lluf, Allison, lorik, and CV heck I know I am forgetting someone?take care of yourselves!!

Geez, it sure is hard to leave you all?.who knew, I am actually crying here!

Deirdre, well hell girl what can I say?

Ok, this is me leaving?.really now!

Have a GREAT day all!

Lots of Love!

Donna

OH yeah RJ, THANKS AGAIN!!! :d

Comment

Thursday, July 13th

Okay all, thanks for all of the continued posts...they are great. I've been busy with my research, schoolwork, etc, but neglecting my exercise because my back is out and I'm going to find a decent chiropractor and try the acupuncture route as well.

So, I had to share this approved excerpt from www.self-renewal.com...still working on the perfect personal detox and healing modality for myself...so..

Two Causes
                            Medical research shows two major causes of physical addiction. (1) Your cells adapt to alcohol; and (2) your body has a problem with alcohol metabolism.

Adaptation in the cells. To your cells, alcohol becomes a way of life. Your blood bathes every cell in alcohol on a fairly regular schedule. Your cells adjust. They grow to expect these doses on time.

Your cells learn to cope with alcohol by defending themselves against alcohol?s toxic effects. Cell walls harden to retain stability and reduce toxic damage. But as your cells get tough against alcohol, gradually more and more can be consumed. Your tolerance increases.

In the long run, however, cell walls break down. At this point, your cells lose their ability not only to keep toxins out but to retain the essential nutrients you get from food. Many of them stop functioning altogether, or start functioning abnormally. That?s when your organs (heart, brain, liver, kidneys, etc.), which are nothing more than whole systems of cells, begin to fail.

Your cells show signs of physical addiction another way. They crave alcohol as a food. Alcohol converts almost instantly to glucose in the blood. Known as blood-sugar, the body uses this as food for all the cells. When you drink alcohol, like eating a candy bar or drinking a soda, the cells get a quick burst of energy. This energy, as you may know, is measured in ?calories.?

Alcoholic beverages pack a lot of calories. Five to ten drinks provide the same amount of calories as a well-balanced meal. But the meal, of course, would have provided essential vitamins, minerals, proteins (amino acids), fats, fiber, and the complex carbohydrates?all of which the body needs to stay healthy. Unfortunately, the simple carbohydrates of alcohol satisfy the hunger too well. And, when you drink a lot, you usually don?t feel like eating a meal, balanced or not.

Your cells adapt another way. They grow to crave alcohol for the sedation. Alcohol sedates all of your cells. Also, secondary compounds called isoquinolines form in the brain where they cause heroin-like sedation of the brain and nervous system. That?s why, among all the cells, nerve cells react most violently whenever alcohol is taken away. You?ll see anything from shaking hands and nervous irritability, to convulsive seizures.

Problem with alcohol metabolism. Physical addiction, the body?s normal reaction to too much alcohol too often, doesn?t affect everyone the same way. A select group of people who have a problem metabolizing alcohol are especially susceptible.

Alcohol metabolism is normally a simple chemical process. Basically the liver attempts to detoxify the body of alcohol by breaking toxic alcohol into acetaldehyde (another toxic chemical), and then reducing acetaldehyde to acetate or acetic acid which quickly convert to glucose in the blood. In ?alcoholic? drinkers the liver functions poorly during this second step. It converts acetaldehyde to acetate at about half the speed of a ?normal? drinker?s liver.

This malfunction causes two main problems. First of all, acetaldehyde builds in the blood. As a powerful toxin, acetaldehyde adds to the toxic damage alcohol causes the cells, which start to fight as much to protect themselves from acetaldehyde as from alcohol.

Secondly, acetaldehyde interacts with brain enzymes, creating isoquinolines, those opiate-like chemicals that tranquilize the brain and nervous system. This chemical byproduct doubles or even triples the sedative effect of the alcohol. What?s more, this added sedative in the brain dramatically increases the addictive power of alcohol. Because of it, withdrawal becomes more extreme. You go all the way from euphoric sedation while drinking, to a high-pitched buzzing anxiety when you withdraw. How do you get rid of the anxiety? Alcohol. Or other sedative drugs.

So the metabolic problem causes greater agitation in your cells, as they?re forced to fight another toxin. But it causes greater sedation as well. That?s why, when you get the alcohol ?really working,? you?re raring to go yet calm and cool. How can you beat this high?

And all this because of a glitch in metabolism. Clearly this glitch is the main reason for your physical addiction. About 10% of all drinkers have this problem. They are the ones who become ?alcoholic.?

So why do some livers develop this metabolic problem, while others do not? Why do some livers set the stage for alcoholism by processing alcohol at a slower rate? There are at least five ways the metabolic problem can begin:

Genetic inheritance.

Fetal alcohol addiction.

Sugar addiction.

Overeating.

Prolonged excessive drinking.

Let?s look at each of these in turn.

Genetic inheritance. The ?alcoholic metabolism? can be inherited. If your mother or father or any of your four grandparents had a problem with alcohol, you stand a better than average chance of having a problem with it.

What?s the average chance? In America, about 10% of all drinkers become alcoholic drinkers. If you have a history of alcoholism in your family, and if you become a drinker, your chances of becoming an alcoholic drinker are anywhere from 2 to 5 times greater than average. Instead of a 10% chance, you have a 20%-50% chance of becoming an alcoholic.

The chance increases because you inherit certain elements of your biochemistry through your genes. Your ability to metabolize alcohol is more likely to be weak, if it was weak in one or more of your parents or grandparents. One other point: You may also inherit a weak sugar metabolism, and this can lead to a problem with alcohol metabolism once you start drinking.

So your genetic history plays an important role in the development of alcoholism. If alcoholism runs in your family and if you start drinking, there is a greater than average risk that you will become an alcoholic.

However, you can?t say whether you will be alcoholic for sure, based on genetic factors. Even with a strong genetic history of alcoholism, you still have a 50%-80% chance of not being affected. Obviously, other factors are involved.

Fetal alcohol addiction. A baby can be born with a full-blown alcohol addiction. At birth, the child?s liver can have a problem with alcohol metabolism, and he or she can have built up a tolerance to alcohol, exhibit a withdrawal syndrome, and show all the physiological traits that accompany alcoholism.

This can happen to any baby whose mother drank heavily during pregnancy. Why? Because alcohol goes from the mother?s blood directly into the fetus: It crosses the placenta. What?s worse, if the mother has the ?alcoholic metabolism,? toxic acetaldehyde that builds in her blood also crosses the placenta.

In fact, if the mother drinks too heavily during pregnancy, the baby can suffer fetal alcohol syndrome (FAS). Symptoms include unusual deformities in skull and facial features, mental retardation, severe problems with digestion and metabolism, nervous disorders, malnutrition and many other extremely serious disorders.

But if you were born with even a mild addiction to alcohol and begin drinking later in life, alcohol is much more likely to cause you problems. Why? You can reactivate the alcoholic metabolism that developed when you were in the womb.

Advice to pregnant mothers? Don?t drink. Current medical advice says don?t drink at all during pregnancy. Some studies show that even small amounts of alcohol may compromise fetal health. Also if you are breast feeding, don?t drink, because alcohol passes directly into mother?s breast milk.

Sugar addiction. The body metabolizes alcohol and sugar in nearly the same manner. That?s why a serious sugar addiction early in life can become the perfect set-up for an alcohol addiction later on.

Over-consumption of sweets and other foods high in sugar often leads to hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). Like alcoholism, hypoglycemia is a metabolic problem. And, like alcoholism, it cause a vicious cycle of addiction.

What?s the relationship between hypoglycemia and alcoholism? Studies show 95%-100% of all alcoholic drinkers suffer from hypoglycemia.

Here?s what happens: When we ingest sugary foods or alcohol, our blood-sugar (glucose) shoots up like a rocket. Blood-sugar, you may remember, is a form of food for the cells. It?s how the cells get energy. In a strong and healthy body, this energy remains fairly constant. Our cells burn blood-sugar at a fairly even rate, keeping our energy level stable.

We even have built-in controls to ensure this. For instance, when blood sugar rises too quickly, the body undergoes a stress reaction. This immediately signals the pancreas to produce insulin, a hormone which reduces blood-sugar. Usually the body produces insulin in just the right amounts, lowering blood-sugar to normal levels without much trouble.

After years of excesses and abuse however, this sugar control system starts to break down. Then, the pancreas begins to make mistakes. It begins overreacting. Whenever sugar or alcohol is ingested, it produces too much insulin.

Too much insulin sends the blood-sugar level crashing below normal. This abrupt decline results in the body suddenly feels drained, fatigued, depressed after the initial high. Your energy level goes way down. You may have a headache, feel tense and anxious, or experience fuzzy thinking. These are withdrawal symptoms; they appear anywhere from one to four hours after the initial high. How do you get rid of the symptoms in a hurry? More sweets...or alcohol...or both.

A hypoglycemic metabolism drives both the sugar and the alcohol addictions. Alcohol relieves you of hypoglycemic symptoms more effectively than sugar. But, as you?d expect, it causes these symptoms to grow more and more severe with each withdrawal.

In fact, alcohol does everything on a slightly grander scale than sugar. It calms you more than sugar because it has a more powerful sedative effect. Yet alcohol also has more toxic side effects than sugar, so the long-range damage to your cells is greater.

Many teenagers trade their sugar addiction for a more mature addiction: alcohol. The trade-up often happens in adults as well. It?s an easy change because the alcohol addiction fits so neatly into the same biochemical routine as the sugar addiction.

Of course not all sugar addicts become alcoholic drinkers. But alcohol works wonders for some of them. They instantly prefer it to sweets. For them, alcohol takes the nervous edge off their lives so much more completely. But again, whenever they stop drinking for even a day or two, they keep going for something sweet?often every other hour or so.

When you quit drinking for good, your hypoglycemia can drive you crazy with cravings. Sweets and high-sugar foods will satisfy the cravings temporarily, but not with the supreme calm produced by alcohol. And if you keep eating sweets or drinking sweet drinks to satisfy the cravings, your metabolism will remain about the same. That means you?ll continue to crave alcohol to calm you down.

But if you break your sugar addiction at the same time you quit drinking, you will not crave alcohol. It?s actually easier to quit alcohol and sugar together, than it is to quit alcohol alone. You?ll learn how to do this later in this book.

Overeating. Here?s another way you can cause metabolic problems that will set the stage for alcoholism. Overeating, like overdrinking, is a problem of excessive appetite. Many alcoholic drinkers had problems with overeating when they were young, before they started to drink. For some, the habit of overeating disappears when their drinking habit begins. Others alternate habits: They overeat, then they over-drink, then they overeat, etc. Still others do both concurrently.

Interestingly enough, Overeaters Anonymous uses the same 12-step program as AA. However, not enough research has been done to clarify the relationship between these two addictions. More evidence is needed. For now, though, here?s an analysis which suggests a biochemical link.

Overeating is a problem of excess, as is alcoholism. Overeating forces the metabolism to work overtime and is especially hard on the liver. The liver has two main functions: to help gain valuable nutrients from normal digestion, and to rid the body of toxins. When you eat too much, the liver is forced to work overtime on normal digestion and, as a result, excess toxins accumulate in the blood. The same happens when the liver must process too much alcohol.

Today?s food, laced with chemical additives, causes another problem for the overeater. It increases the toxic overload on the liver and can make it even harder for liver to function properly.

In many ways alcohol brings welcome relief to overeaters. It offers instant calories without the burden of all that digestion. If you drink before you eat, it depresses the appetite and you eat less. If you eat too much and drink afterward, you speed digestion.

Overeating teaches the metabolism how to deal with excess. Overdrinking fits the same biochemical scenario, but it?s easier in a way. Why? Alcohol is light; food is heavy. To the overeater, alcohol provides relief while still satisfying the need for excess.

That?s why, when you quit drinking, you may naturally begin overeating in order to satisfy your body?s expectation for excess. So when you quit, you can do yourself a big favor by learning not to overeat. This in turn will help you to reduce your cravings for alcohol. Later in the book, you?ll learn how to stop overeating.

Prolonged excessive drinking. Here?s one other way normal alcohol metabolism can break down and the alcoholic metabolism begin.

Some habitual drinkers drink a lot without showing serious signs of addiction. But after many years of abuse the internal organs can wear out, especially the pancreas and liver. When the liver loses its ability to metabolize alcohol efficiently, tolerance can increase, and other problems of alcoholism, like excessive cellular damage and withdrawal syndrome, can appear.

This follows the same principle as adult-onset diabetes. Metabolism functions well for a very long time, only to break down after too many years of stress.

Even ?social drinkers? and ?borderline alcoholics? who average anywhere from two to six drinks per day. All of a sudden things change. They start drinking more and more as addiction sets in.

Prolonged drinking of any amount can trigger hypoglycemia and consequently alcoholism. First, the pancreas breaks down, starting the sugar addiction. Then the liver breaks down, starting the alcohol addiction.

As obvious as this sounds, it doesn?t happen very often?at least according to research. Most research suggests alcoholic drinkers begin their drinking careers with the metabolic problem already established. Tolerance builds from the very first. Hypoglycemic withdrawal symptoms become slowly exaggerated into more severe alcoholic withdrawal symptoms, along with a greater and greater compulsion to drink.

What Can You Do about the Physical Addiction?
                            Once started, the physical addiction gets worse and worse. In order to change it, you need to change your metabolism. Here?s a quick review:

The ?alcoholic metabolism? drives the physical addiction. This glitch in metabolism boosts the sedative effects of alcohol to your cells. It keeps the body bristling with high doses of sugar to counteract the gloomy side of hypoglycemia. And it creates excess toxins in the body that demand a little extra effort in your own struggle for survival.

Meanwhile, your mind keeps finding all kinds of uses for alcohol. It interprets the way you feel, moment to moment, and knows exactly why you ?need another drink.? But the mind can?t always be trusted. Your body can be near death with alcoholic damage and your mind can want another drink.

But you can change. When you quit drinking and change to a healthy diet, your cells begin to heal and your metabolism begins to revitalize itself. This is the key. After awhile, you begin to feel rejuvenated, strong, and healthy.

A Disease Controlled by Diet
                            Is alcoholism a disease? There?s much confusion.

Pull up a barstool beside any alcoholic drinker and ask whether he thinks he has a disease. He will tell you no, even though he may be quick to admit he?s ?an alcoholic.? But ask any recovering alcoholic in A.A. He?ll tell you he has a disease and he?ll tell you he has this disease whether or not he?s drinking.

Each of them is partly right. Alcoholic drinking starts a disease process. This process progresses when you?re drinking. It stops when you stop drinking. And when you stop drinking, you can heal much of the damage from the disease if you change your diet.

Alcoholism fits the definition of disease. Like other diseases, alcoholism impairs your health by damaging your cells. Like other diseases, it interrupts your body?s vital functions, causing specific symptoms. And like other diseases such as cancer, if it?s allowed to continue long enough, it?ll kill you.

But as a disease, it has an ironic twist. The agent causing the disease acts like a medicine that cures the symptoms. Alcoholic drinkers actually feel healthier when they?re drinking. Pain and sickness seem to disappear. Unfortunately, the sense of health is artificial. When you drink, you relieve yourself of the symptoms only. Meanwhile, inside your body, a disease process rages.

Drinking wears out your body and actually speeds up the aging process. Your cells live their lives in the fast lane of high blood-sugar and toxic invaders, grabbing a few thrills, but choking on the poisons. You get physically sick more often. Or you feel some slight sickness which lingers and is hard to pinpoint.

When cells don?t get sufficient nutrients, or if the cells are harmed too often by toxins in the blood, they stop performing important functions. After awhile, whole groups of cells begin giving out, and organs begin to fail. Especially susceptible are the brain, heart, liver, pancreas, intestines, kidneys, and stomach.

Metabolism Revisited
                            The disease itself depends on a problem in metabolism. The problem seems innocent enough. Your liver is simply slow on one step of normal alcohol metabolism: the breakdown of acetaldehyde.

The build-up of acetaldehyde also boosts the brain?s production of isoquinoline, a strong sedative similar to morphine or heroin that calms us deeply and kills pain. This added sedative effect greatly increases alcohol?s addictive power. It drives us to drink. Thus the damage continues, the disease progresses, and the metabolic problem gets worse.

Metabolism and Diet
                            Metabolism is intimately connected to diet. Your body metabolizes food for one main purpose: to get vital nutrients to all the cells. To serve this purpose, your body can metabolize many different foods and can learn how to gain nutrients from almost any kind of food you give it. Metabolism also helps to rid the body of any unwanted toxins.

Yet your personal metabolism works differently from anyone else?s. Studies show that each individual has a unique biochemical make-up and that individuals differ greatly from one another in the way they metabolize various kinds of food. To give you an idea how much possible variation there is, researchers have currently identified over 3,000 metabolic substances (called ?metabolites?), and over 1,100 enzymes. Each individual has her own unique proportions of all 4,100 of these biochemicals.

Also, the mixture of biochemicals varies for each kind of food you ingest. For instance, the biochemicals your body produces to metabolize carrots differ somewhat from those it uses for potatoes. Furthermore, your body?s biochemicals vary from day to day, and vary depending on what you last ate and even how long ago you ate it.

One more thing: Your body uses quite different biochemicals to metabolize the different classes of foods?meats, grains, vegetables, beans, fruits, etc. As you might have guessed, you need a whole different biochemical preparedness to handle alcohol, sweets, drugs, chemical additives, and toxins. In fact, too many excesses from this group can cause your metabolism to break down, and begin to make mistakes. For instance, too much sugar too often can cause hypoglycemia. The pancreas begins overreacting (producing too much insulin) when each new burst of sugar hits the bloodstream.

But your body adjusts to whatever diet you give it. The most frequent foods in your diet come to be expected. Biochemical pathways get established the more they are used. Thus, if your body doesn?t get an expected food, you actually begin to crave it.

Your body becomes addicted to the foods you give it the most. Your metabolism so completely adjusts to your regular diet that any change from this diet becomes increasingly difficult. Ask anyone who has attempted a major shift in diet. For instance, if you eat meat regularly, your metabolism will take a long time to adjust to a vegetarian diet. Although the same nutrients are available, your body doesn?t have the biochemical preparedness. The ability is there. Your body can metabolize vegetarian meals. But to gain the same efficiency with a new diet can take from one to seven years.

The important thing to remember is this: Metabolism depends on diet. You can change your metabolism if you change your diet. It will take a long time to change your metabolism significantly, but you can feel incredible improvements after just a few months. You?ll discover the kind of changes you need to make in the chapter on diet.

The Alcoholic Diet
                            Almost all alcoholic drinkers suffer from malnutrition. Given the amount of alcohol in their diets alone, they don?t stand a chance of gaining proper nourishment. Why? Alcohol robs the body of vital nutrients.

This happens in two ways:

The alcoholic diet leaves little room for nutrient-rich foods. Alcohol is a food itself?with calories but no nutrients. When too many of your diet?s calories come from alcohol, you don?t have much appetite left for other foods.

When you burn calories, your cells require nutrients and burning the ?empty calories? of alcohol forces your cells to use reserve nutrients they have stored?especially the B-vitamins and vitamin C. By drinking heavily on just one occasion, you can completely deplete these reserves.

Alcoholic malnutrition kills slowly. Cells weaken from starvation and become disease-prone. Your behavior can even become bizarre, your thinking impaired. After awhile, one of your organs will give out. If it?s a vital organ, chances are you?ll die.

But if you change your diet, the disease process will stop. The latest research links diet to all major diseases (heart disease, cancer, stroke) and most minor diseases you can think of. But how does diet cause such a long-range debilitating disease as alcoholism? At the root of the dietary problem lies addiction. The alcoholic diet is unbalanced because of various food addictions. The alcohol itself is a dual addiction: a food addiction and a drug addiction.

Food addiction, like drug addiction, depends on a biochemical craving. Your body?s biochemistry becomes so dependent on a particular food that it grows to expect that food. As with drugs, some foods are more addicting than others. Also, when you stop consuming an addictive food, you experience withdrawal symptoms. These symptoms can be mild, such as headaches, muscle aches, back aches, cramps, diarrhea, constipation, confusion, irregular pulse rate, anxiety, nausea; or more acute, such as dizziness, extreme emotional upset (tears, anger, depression), paranoia, minor convulsions (shakes and tremors), and wild fluctuations in blood pressure.

Nutritionists classify sugar and alcohol as foods because they have calories. This is the only reason for the classification. But as ?foods,? they are seriously lacking, for neither sugar nor alcohol has any nutrients to help with their digestion. For practical purposes, sugar and alcohol are the same food. One beer has about the same instant caloric value as ten teaspoons of white sugar.

Among ?foods,? alcoholic beverages and sugar foods are probably the most addicting you can find. But the additional drug effects of alcohol make it more addicting than sugar. So when you quit drinking, you must withdraw from both addictions: the food (or sugar) addiction of alcohol and the drug addiction of alcohol.

You can withdraw from the drug effects in a short time. Depending on the amount of alcohol you drink, severe withdrawal symptoms will last for one to three weeks, and minor symptoms will continue for a few months.

You will begin your withdrawal from the sugar addiction if, when you stop drinking, you stop eating sugar-foods as well. In this case, cravings for both sweets and alcohol will diminish after a few weeks, and disappear after six months to a year. If you stop drinking, yet continue to eat sugar foods, your hypoglycemia will drive you crazy with regular cravings for alcohol and sweets.

The Cure
                            Yes, there is a cure for alcoholism.

Your basic goal: to change your metabolism for greater health. That means you need to eliminate alcohol and other addictive foods from your diet, and change some other parts of your diet as well.

Then wait.

Why wait? Because once the healing process begins, it takes time to recover. Your body needs time to repair the damage. But the best news is that you begin healing right away. In fact, the healthier your new lifestyle, the faster you will heal. You can heal most of your damaged cells, at least to some degree, because you have your body?s replacement policy going for you.

Your body creates new cells every minute to the tune of about three to four hundred million per day! These new cells replace old and dying cells. When you stop drinking, the new cells your body creates will not be ?alcoholic? cells. They will never have tasted alcohol. These new cells will be healthy, if you continue to follow a healthy diet.

Scientists say that every seven years the body replaces every cell (except nerve cells) at least once. That means the body renews itself and becomes a completely new conglomeration of cells. A new you.

This new you begins every day. Now.

Comment

Thursday, July 13th

July 13.

Dearest cv.
                              Wow, you just blew me away. Thank you for all your hard work and research - it all makes so much sense.
                              Now I have to go back to your post and read it once more. It's a lot to take in and there was so much that I did not know (as in "most of it") Latest findings seem to suggest that we are truly what we eat. Our diet defines us.
                              Thanks so much again.
                              Lori.

Comment

Working...
                              X