Topamax 100mg fatigued, depressed and feeling awful

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Topamax, as I titrate up, is making me incredibly fatigued and depressed, to the point that I feel like sleeping constantly and wish I had a refreshed feeling in the morning. (that most people who don't drink in the morning have and that I am entitled to have!)

Is this a "side effect" or is this an "adverse effect" that won't go away? I am typically sensitive to meds that have fatigue as a side effect, and I expected something to hit me with this medication. But I feel like I'm dying here.... I will discuss with my dr. if it continues much longer or discontinue use, but he was hesitant to prescribe in the first place, so I want to confirm here first before doing either. It is so frustrating because it is controlling my drinking!! Thanks for your help.

Jen

Jen,

Until Dr. G is back, I thought you might find this of interest. It's from the Crazy Meds Board. I like this fella's stuff. He takes Topa for seizures but knows a lot about the medication for other purposes. Here's what he says:

"...As always I'm for a slow titration. Unless you're seriously flipping out or seizing all over the place, start at 25mg and increase by 12.5 to 25mg a day each week as required until both symptoms and side affects abate. Topamax (topriamate) is extremely dosage sensitive and you'll find that side effects will actually decrease in intensity, if not go away, once you hit your proper dosage. So as odd as that reads, it will take an increase in your dosage for some side effects to go away...."

RJ

Comment

Working...
    X