Atkins, Week Four!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atkins, Week Four!

So, I will refresh this post each week. I will post the Atkins guidelines in the first post of the weeks, so we can all remember. Each day I will try and post some ideas, what I am eating, recipes, tricks, roadblocks, and EXERCISE.

Also, it is a good idea to weigh yourself (aargh) and take your measurements (arm, chest, breast, stomach, hips, butt, thigh and calf). There are many poople that will lose inches some weeks and not inches, so it is as important to do inches each week as it is to do weight. I am going to have my weigh in and measure date on Monday - which I did. SO on Monday I will post my stats... That part is up to you guys...

Make sure you ask any questions, many of us have sone this before, so I am sure between us we can answer any questions we may come up with.

So.. Here are the Atkins guidelines: (this is for the induction - for the first two weeks). REMEMBER.... the first few days you may be low energy, but after that you will be charged!

Eat either three regular-size meals a day or four or five smaller meals. Do not skip meals or go more than six waking hours without eating. I recommend eating a low-carb bar in between meals to keep metabolism going and energy up - I like https://www.thinkproducts.com/indexset.htm - they are awesome!

Eat liberally of combinations of fat and protein in the form of poultry, fish, shellfish, eggs and red meat, as well as pure, natural fat in the form of butter, mayonnaise, olive oil, safflower, sunflower and other vegetable oils (preferably expeller-pressed or cold-pressed).

Eat no more than 20 grams a day of carbohydrate, at least 12 ? 15 grams of which must come in the form of salad greens and other vegetables. (see Atkins - Acceptable Foods

Eat absolutely no fruit, bread, pasta, grains, starchy vegetables or dairy products other than cheese, cream or butter. Do not eat nuts or seeds in the first two weeks. Foods that combine protein and carbohydrates, such as chickpeas, kidney beans and other legumes, are not permitted at this time. If you feel you must eat bread or some other grain product, only high fiber low-carb products with 3 net carbs or less per serving are allowed, and you can eat only one serving a day. Be aware that even that amount may slow or stall your progress, and if that happens, drop the product immediately. (REMEMBER - NO ALCOHOL IN THE INDUCTION PHASE IF YOU ARE IN MODS)

Eat nothing that isn't on the Atkins - Acceptable Foods list. And that means absolutely nothing. Your "just this one taste won't hurt" rationalization is the kiss of failure during this phase of Atkins.

Adjust the quantity you eat to suit your appetite, especially as it decreases. When you're hungry, eat the amount that makes you feel satisfied (I always liked this part, especially in the beginning), but not stuffed. When you're not hungry, eat a small controlled carbohydrate snack to accompany your nutritional supplements. (REMEMBER TO CUT BACK WHEN YOU ARE NO LONGER HUNGRY).

Don't assume any food is low in carbohydrate?instead, read labels. Check the carb count (it's on every package) or use a http://www.atkins.com/carb-counter/a...ramcounter.pdf. Be aware that the law allows manufacturers to round off if a product has fewer than 0.5 grams of any carbohydrate, so that will show up as zero. The only way to detect some fractional carbs is to look for them in the ingredients list, where they must be listed if they?re added to a product, regardless of the amount.

Eat out as often as you wish but be on guard for hidden carbs in gravies, sauces and dressings. Gravy is often made with flour or cornstarch, and sugar is sometimes an ingredient in salad dressing.

Use sucralose or saccharin as a sweetener (I USE SPLENDA, I THINK IT IS THE HEALTHIEST CHOICE). Be sure to count each packet of any of these as 1 gram of carbs, because of the fillers and bulking agents which are added.

Avoid too much coffee, tea and soft drinks that contain caffeine. Excessive caffeine has been shown to cause low blood sugar, which can make you crave sugar. (GREEN TEA IS GREAT FOR ENERGY)

Drink at least eight 8-ounce glasses of water each day in addition to anything else you may drink, to hydrate your body, avoid constipation and flush out the by-products of burning fat.

If you are constipated, mix a tablespoon or more of psyllium husks in a cup or more of water and drink daily. Or mix ground flaxseed into a shake or sprinkle wheat bran on a salad or vegetables. (I USE A BULK FIBER EVERY NIGHT-VERY IMPORTANT!)

At a minimum, take a good daily multivitamin with minerals, including potassium, magnesium and calcium, but without iron. (CALCUIM IS ALSO VERY IMPORTANT, MOST MULTI'S DON'T HAVE ENOUGH, I LIKE THE SUGAR FREE CHOCOLATE CHEWABLES - A NIGHTLY SWEET TREAT)

So, let's get started. Use the Atkins website http://www.atkins.com/- it is amazing and has so much valuable information. TONS of recipes and information. I printed the Carb Counter out and am going to carry it in my purse. You can also buy the little pocket ones, but this one is free!

Good luck everyone!
    Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them, but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.

Atkins, Week Four!

Hi my friends!

Here we are in week four! I am feeling FAT today, so I am not going to weigh myself right now. I think it was the curry chicken (SALTY!), no exercise for a few days AND I CHEATED AND ATE ICE CREAM LAST NIGHT - LLLoser!!!!!!

Anyway, today is another day. I have my new workout tapes and I am very excited about them. I "watched" them yesterday while I was assembling my daughters new bedroom furniture..:H :H :H

Seriously, though! I have to get moving.. I don't feel like I lost any weight last week and I ate pretty much on target. The one thing that may have killed me is that I did skip a bunch of meals during the day when I was so busy last week. That is a BIG NO-NO for me. My metabolism is in a coma, so if I don't eat I will store away all my food intake. This I know to be fact, Atkins, or no Atkins.

So, last week maybe not have been my best week, but I'm fired up and ready for week FOUR! My goal is 8 more pounds before New Years... Lofty goal with the Holidays and all, but I don't plan to drink, I don't really like sweets, so as long as I can get my ass moving it should be attainable.

P4T
    - I drink the "Designer Whey" Protein Drink. it is rated #1 for taste and I agree!! it also has only 2 carbs. i have a little personal blender and mix the Chocolate version with crushed ice, about 4-5 ounces of water, 1-2 ounces of half and half, and my AllOne all together. It is about 4 carbs total and really fills me up! You can find it at DESIGNER WHEY | America's #1 Protein Since 1993 .

Well, that's it for me for now. I am home today, so I will update my food intake a bit later..

Namaste, my low-carb friends!

MM
    Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them, but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.

Comment

Atkins, Week Four!

Thanks MM!
      I will check out that protein powder as I need something new to mix my All One with as I was mixing it with grapefruit juice before, which I can no longer have.

I did not lose any weight over the weekend, but have maintained my 5 lb weight loss, so that is good. We went out for a little date over the weekend and I did order a margarita, so I was expecting to gain from that as well as the salt, but I didnt. Whew!

MM -- I'm with you on the exercise! I need to crank it up as well. I didnt exercise at all last week. So i'm actually heading out the door now for a run!

My goal is two pounds this week.
      If you do not live the life you believe, you will believe the life you live.

Comment

Atkins, Week Four!

I'm feeling soooooo draggy today! I remember reading that its not uncommon to get low energy for a few days, but that the energy returns. I was also up a pound today even though I did not cheat yesterday and even went for a long run. I am so tempted to cheat right now! I am normally not one to eat sweets, but I think between cutting the sugar in the wine its making me crave sweets. I have a whole bag of Hershey's chocolate kisses in the pantry that I bought for a Christmas cookie recipe and I am battling with breaking them open. Argggghh.

I'm really going to try to push through though, because it will probably really pay off tomorrow. I'm too sluggish to exercise today even though the weather is beautiful again. I also need to look up some new recipes.... I'm getting tired of eating the same things! I have an Atkins cookbook, so I'm going to look up something exciting.

How are you doing MM?

Comment

Atkins, Week Four!

pres4time looks like you need more protein.
          I actually tried a little pasta last night and felt like I got hit by a train.
          going back to beef and spinach sautee.

had grapefruit and cottage cheese for breakfast with green tea.
          one of the guys at work brought cookies, brownies, pretzels and peanuts and has been passing them around the office. (really making me mad)
          You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

Atkins, Week Four!

Hey Trixie....

I am actually eating a LOT of protein. I've been having a two-egg omelette every morning with feta and spinach, and even had two slices of turkey bacon with it yesterday. Lunch was a big spinach salad with a hard boiled egg, mozzerella cheese, real bacon bits and a no-sugar sundried tomato dressing. I roasted a chicken for dinner and steamed green beans, so I dont get it. Today I have more energy, but was up another pound??? What the???

So anyway, I am ditching Atkins because my body is not responding anymore. I am going back to my old standby which is very similar, but it allows carbs in the form of fruit. Still no fruit juice, no breads or pastas, but on that diet I keep lots of cut up fresh fruit in the fridge - mainly grapefruit, apples and oranges with whatever sweeter fruit to cut the tartness such as strawberries or cantaloupe. I eat a lot of fruit and only have fish, chicken or eggs for my protein, and lots of salad with raw veggies on it. This was how I lost all my baby weight after the last baby, but I just got tired of it and wanted to try something new which allowed for more options like Atkins. Oh well! I think Atkins just allows too much fat and I just cant lose consistently on it. I guess our bodies all respond differently.

Meanwhile, I just had a HUGE juicy hamburger from Ruby Tuesday's with the salad bar, and I'm going to get back on the wagon tomorrow and I'm off to run a few miles and work off that burger hopefully!

Comment

Atkins, Week Four!

so much for my dieting habbits lately..I think I drank a couple thousand calories in booze on wed night. I'm bloated up now of course...dang it. it will pas in a couple days though.
              Allie the modified diet sounds good and healthy.
              also some people find that taking carnitine supps and also chromium picolinate helps kick the body into losing more weight.
              nosce te ipsum
              (Know Thyself)

Comment

Atkins, Week Four!

Wow, got those two pounds off this morning, so I'm just copying what I did yesterday.

D, I have a big bottle of Chromium Picolinate in my vitamin cabinet, so I will try that. I just want to get it off by Christmas, then I will eat all I want for a while and start the whole process over again!:H

Comment

Atkins, Week Four!

Hi guys!! Sorry I have been Low-CARB AWOL this week!

As you know, I had a bad week... whaaa. OK, no more whining.

But, I also haven't eaten well this week after Wednesday (was something in the air, DET?).

So, I am taking a few days to sort myself out and get back on the AF wagon, most important right now. I am feeling a bit shaky, so I am not worrying about my eating today. I will poke my head back up tomorrow as I am sure I will be feeling back to my old self. It has taken me a few days to stop beating myself up - I don't like that about myself, but I am getting SO much better. At least I didn't continue to drink!!

Anyway, I will post a new fresh thread tomorrow morning. I think I need more lean meats and exercise is going to be a bigger factor, so maybe a new thread for fitness.. what do you guys think? I love a place to check in for our fitness goals, don't you??

See you in the AM.. Have a healthy Saturday night!

MM

Comment

Atkins, Week Four!

I like that idea MM....

Obviously I had to change courses, but would still like to keep up, it really motivates me. I am still doing very low carb, but am allowing carbs in the form of citrus fruits and berries. Still no white carbs... so its very similar to Atkins, but for me the fruit really revitalizes me and fills me up and satisfies a sweet tooth. I have lost well in the past with the inclusion of fruits, so long as no breads or pasta. And being in Florida, our citrus is always delicious and beckoning from markets everywhere!

And I need continued motivation on the exercise... did great the past few days. Yes, I think something must have been in the air on Wed night.

P4T

Comment

Working...
                    X