Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depression & drinking

My question is about depression.

I'm on Day 12 of sobriety. I have my vitamins but haven't started yet, awaiting CDs.

I have been very down this week. It seems my dreams are very vivid and a little upsetting, which is OK because I realise that I have been suppressing things for a while. Thing is I wake up feeling rather sad due to the dreams, and then my moods are up and down

I have seen a few doctors over the years & was diagnosed with mild depression but have become jaded as it seems too easy for doctors to issue medication rather than going deeper to the problem.

At my ititial consult I walked out the door with a script 5 minutes after walking in, & felt pressured to open up to a (new) GP in a limited time-frame (waiting room was full of people). He didn't even do a blood test to rule out another illness. I stayed on Zoloft for 2 years, 25mg daily, during which I had periods of not drinking. I have been feeling OK for about 6 months now with no medication. I am determined to stay medication free & face my demons head-on.

My question is: is depression linked to drinking? And is it normal to have feelings of sadness when the drinking ceases?

Depression & drinking

Hi.

Sounds like symptoms of going cold turkey, with the vivid dreams and poor sleep typically associated with withdrawal. I'm not inclined to make any treatment decisions about depression until the alcohol withdrawal is over. Also, why did you choose to do it this way? Just curious. The supplements, including magnesium and Calms Forte make the transition much easier. Sounds like those midbrain receptors are really uncomfortable. Don't hesitate to see a doc or a naturopath to help you with this acute withdrawal. Get plenty of protein, hydrate with water, and avoid caffeine and sugar. Keep going but do try to make yourself more comfortable.

-Dr. Garcia

Comment

Depression & drinking

I stopped drinking while reading the book, before I'd bought the vitamins, it's taken 10+ days to receive the vitamins & CDs haven't arrived yet but I simply didn't want to drink anymore & now I don't want to spoil my record as it's the longest time in 18 months

Could I really be having withdrawals 2 weeks after my last drink?

Comment

Depression & drinking

Why I chose to do it this way

You didn't answer my question, Is depression linked to drinking?

I did cut out coffee, sugar & drink heaps of water but your response lead me to think that you are like any other doctor I have seen

Comment

Depression & drinking

Re: Why I chose to do it this way

Aussie, if you go to the National Institute of Health site here in the States you will find some good info on depression. Many people (including myself) have used drinking to self-medicate out of depression. Unfortunately it creates a visious cycle becuase the next day you are even more depressed because of the effects of alcohol on your blood sugar, nervous system, etc. Alcohol is a CNS depressant.

Comment

Depression & drinking

What are the consiquences of using prozac and wellbutrin and drinking? Is death a likely consiquence?

Comment

Depression & drinking

Dear Jessika,

Many things can result in a bad outcome when combined with alcohol. I suggest you speak with your health care provider or local pharmacist. If you are depressed and contemplating suicide with medication and alcohol please call a crisis line or go to a local emergency room for help....

--Dr.Garcia

Comment

Depression & drinking

I'm not wanting to die really anymore. I haven't tried suicide in a little while. I admit I've taken asprin with vodka but I won't do that now and hopefully never again. My bf dosen't even want this and he has serious temper problems but he does show alot of love for me lately.

Comment

Working...
                X