Starting to workout after long time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The title says it all. I've never been someone to work out daily. And since the drinking, it's all I can do to get thru my normal tasks much less do extra. But funnily enuf, I'm doing this for my girl friend, though realizing I always have felt better when I do exercise. See my friend has a lot of stress at work-I work with her. And though I listen to her lots, I am not in a position to do more than advise and assure her she is not crazy. So she said her boyfriend was tired of her complaining and she needed an outlet, hence (u thought I'd never get there didn't u) :H me volunteering to work out with her. They have a great special at a place not far from either of us, for two weeks. We are going to check it out tonite. But I just have not been active, and all the booze has depleted me. Any advice for me starting out?

Sorry hon........no advice from me........I`ve still only got as far as buying the trainers. Guess I`ll change my tune to............. "One Day My Gym Will Come". lol

Make sure you work up a good sweat now!!!! :H

Starlight Impress x

Comment

Have fun. Don't overdo it. Be gentle with yourself. It's a victory just showing up. Give yourself a pat on the back.

wonder xx

Comment

I am a person who was very afraid of working out for many many years due to nasty experiences with gym coaches in school. Now I run 5 -12 miles a week, run 5k races and am fairly comfortable with most exercise equipment. The best suggestion I can give you is to start slowly and refrain from comparing yourself and your workout/progress with that of the other people there. If you haven't been to a gym in a while (or ever) it can be very intimidating and one can quickly get frustrated. Don't let that happen. If they have staff who can teach you how to use the equipment, ask them for help. If they don't have much staff, or if they are busy or if they want you to "set up a one-hour personal training session", just observe what other people are doing. If you have not exercised at all in a long time, start with the treadmill and just walk at a reasonably brisk pace for ten or twenty minutes. Don't bother with all the special settings, just use manual control at maybe a 4.0 speed. Don't get exhausted and make sure you bring and drink a bottle of water. Look around you while you are on the treadmill and see what other people are doing - other cardio machines, lifting free weights, playing racquetball, using weight machines, taking classes. Use the time on the treadmill to get used to the idea of working out and feeling comfortable in the space.

After your treadmill, go to the stretching area and do some stretching. They usually have stretch guides on the walls. Try and feel through all the parts off your body and see what feels loose and happy and what feels tight and weak. Those are the parts you will want to work on as you get more familiar with how gyms work.

If you do decide to use weight machines, the basic rules are exercise the large muscles first and then smaller ones. In other words, do lat pull downs and rows before bicep curls. "Weight Training for Dummies" is a good basic reference book. Don't overdo it, if you hurt yourself you will be less inclined to go back. Sign up for the personal trainer when you feel confident enough to ask questions and work out in front of someone.

Most importantly, and this is my killer, thirst means WATER, not beer, not wine, not vodka/cranberry. I am still making this mistake. Aaargh.
        And you may ask yourself, "What is that beautiful house?" And you may ask yourself, "Where does that highway go?" And you may ask yourself,"Am I right?...Am I wrong?" And you may tell yourself..."MY GOD!...WHAT HAVE I DONE?"

Comment

Oh, and since you are going with a friend, you can do some things together, like abdominalwork, and any free weights that require a spotter, or take a yoga class.
          And you may ask yourself, "What is that beautiful house?" And you may ask yourself, "Where does that highway go?" And you may ask yourself,"Am I right?...Am I wrong?" And you may tell yourself..."MY GOD!...WHAT HAVE I DONE?"

Comment

(((Wonderworld, Ratana))))

Well we did go and we did decide to join. They had a six weeks for $17 deal, who could resist? My friend wanted to set up w/a personal trainer right away, but that's not until we "join". It's funny how they are, they start out with $95 for "orientation fee" then $40/month after. So I say what about the $17 deal. Oh yeah, that's in effect they just don't TELL YOU about it. So if after two weeks we sign up it will be as a duo and for $39/month. Then my friends says she's retired military, down to $34/month. Unless I really hate it I think I will stick w/it. After all, my hubby can go to when I join, as a guest, for $5/a visit. Hard to beat that.

I think Denise is much more interested in cardio, weights, etc, than I am. But I'm willing to have her help me start slowly if she will do some of my stuff, either the stair climber or treadmill.

We are going tomorrow after work. Funny, I wouldn't do this for myself, but thinking I am helping Denise relax, I'm feeling good about it. Oh and thanx Ratana, about the water suggestion. I wouldn't have thought of that.

Comment

Hey Hart, Good for you and your friend Denise !!!
              Money well spent I say !!
              I echo what everybody says about taking it slow... I find if I "bite off more than I can chew" I won't look forward to those workouts like I used to...
              Maybe one day you may even invest in a piece of equipment for home... I live along way from home and have a small home gym ( eliptical, recombrent bike and bowflex weight machine )
              Keep us all posted on your progress .. Best of luck to you and Denise.

~ I hear a whinny on the wind~

Comment

Way to go Hart! And I'll say it again - just showing up is a victory. And I agree - do what appeals to you. For me, even if I get to the gym and just do 30 minutes on the treadmill, it's still a really good thing and makes me feel better in every way.

Let us know how it's going!
                wonder xx

Comment

Right Arm Hart!:goodjob:
                  We have a small home gym...it's just basically "hand me downs" bits & pieces from neighbors down the road, & relatives... aquired here & there.
                  Thankfully we have a big living room.
                  I love it:h especially in the winter..when it storms so much around here.
                  It really is a key part of feeling good about what you put into your body...
                  It just helps in so many ways. For me it's very important therapy, it effects me mentaly if I don't take care of myself .(and unfortunately...everyone around me! not in a good way!)
                  Just ask my poor Hubby!LOL
                  The only thing worth stealing is a kiss...:flower: zwink:

Comment

Thanx for all the encouragement. Well Denise got there before me. I don't enjoy the traffic to there. We did all kinds of weird gym equipment, stretching leg out, in, arms in, out, laying here, squatting here, on our bellies, on our back....SHEESH! I don't think I could do it w/out her, There was even some things that looked like handcuffs!!! Well she patiently, told me what to do and I did it as best I could. As she out lasted me and I kept adjusting weights less. :H But I did it, wiped my sweat off the equipment like a good gym girl. Then she says, wanna do weights (what the heck had we be doing) or treadmill or leave. Heck, I know how to do treadmill, off we go. Her running at first, me walking rapidly, felt good afterward. I didn't break anything, equipment nor bones. Don't know if I'll join but I'm gonna exercise again tonite. Hate fighting the traffic tho. Hubby made me take a HOT bath when I got home, lectured me on stretching before and after. Denise didn't say nuttin. Hey, it wasn't bad.

Comment

See.........you`re a natural hart. :H

Am gonna try real hard to go for gym induction this week, if only to justify the purchase of 2 spanking new pairs of funky trainers!!! :H

Comment

Way to go Hart! You're an inspration!

Comment

Hart:

Good on you! Know what you mean about getting back into the fray once again.

I echo the others advice of take it S...L....O...W to start. If you go to painful exhaustion every time to start, burn-out in NO TIME.

Even these days, I take light sessions when I am approaching burn-out, or stop for a few days and just do mild yoga, stretches, pilates or something not super intense.

Then I go through periods where I max it out for a whole week or so, and break my own records (I did last week on treadmill). This week, not so intense. Sometimes I just stay in the low aerobic zone, and burn fat. Sometimes I go into max zone for 30 minutes, and wipe myself out. The key I found, is to pay very close attention to the signals my body has. Appetite, sleep pattern and depth, energy during the work day, food cravings all tell me a lot of what is going on my insides. This comes with time.

One thing for sure, my 51 year old insides, are not 27 year old insides. If I were to listen to the young bucks, I would have burned out and quit ages ago. I am in this for the long haul, and that takes close attention to those internal signals. Can't stress that enough.

Also, I get motivation from pulse meters, body analyzer scales, and lots of techie knick-knacks. Daily logs of what I have done tell me quite a bit about my natural cycles. Sometimes, I just need an "exercise vacation" to rest and heal after coming close to injury during my max out periods.

So mainly, in my book, more important to learn what YOU need, and not what the other person needs.

It becomes almost another "addiction" if done in "moderation".

Neil

Comment

wow

just what the doctor ordered!! I hav not worked out as usual (at least 5 days, sometimes 7 days a week.................) Am freaking out about alot of stuff right now, knee replacement so I can walk without being in thorough pain, and not having to take Naproxen every day (giving me an ulcer, I am SURE!!) The marital problems I have been having don't help...........BUT I DO feel soooooooooooooo much better when I get those endorphines roaring!! I am gond to the gym as soon as I am out of here today!! AND goint AF too...............it is so easy to do them both hand in hand.........

Thanks for the motivation all you guys,:thanks: just had to read this and see it in black and white from fellow MWOters!!!

I TRULY LOVE you guys,thanks, can't wait to get up to the gym at noon today (we have one here at the office I haven't used for a few days either )

HUGS!!!!!:l

MA:h
                            :rays:My happiness is my greatest gift to others:rays:eace:

Comment

Working...
                            X