Topamax and the liver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Topamax and the liver

I'm curious -- how hard is Topamax on the liver? I'm sure it is less toxic than the alcohol I would otherwise be consuming, but before I start a new drug I want to know what the risks are.

Topamax and the liver

Hi.
    The research forum has quite a few articles on Topamax which includes information about the usual side effects and precautions. Chapter 3 in the My Way Out book also has an excellent discussion of common issues. The drug does not appear to cause any problems with the liver. In the original Lancet study individuals who were drinking upon entering the program were titrated up to 300 mg daily with no adverse liver problems noted. Please see the research forum articles, they are great.

-Dr. Garcia

Comment

Topamax and the liver

Thanks! I might try Topomax to treat my bulimia. I thought Prozac was suppose to do that.

Comment

Topamax and the liver

Dr Garcia

Isn't it true that you should get a blood test/liver test and others done before embarking on any course of topamax, or indeed, any other medication?

Kath

Comment

Topamax and the liver

Hi.

In working with your medical provider the comprehensive history and physical can give good insight into what lab tests (if any) will be needed. Nothing is cast in stone and that is why the relationship with the medical provider is so important.

Good work with the program. I hope this helps you in your progress.

--Dr. Garcia

Comment

Working...
          X